Level III Holsters for XD's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Blackhawk%20SERPA%20III%20Duty%20Holster%20(Frank%20Borelli)_1.jpg

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but does not everyone's finger slide along the outside of the holster upon draw?

I use the serpa lv II for a range gun, and have done drawn from it quite a bit. The Groove on the serpa is higher than the trigger well, not on the trigger well. I completely understand all three POV's but haven't seen any EXTRA ND's simply b/c of the holster.

Maybe it does take an ingrained training method for the muscle memory to keep your finger away from the trigger, but When I draw my finger follows the groove that is on the serpa, and then right on to the position above the trigger. This is why the groove is there to keep your finger off the trigger.

Upon further investigation :D I notice that when I do draw, the end of my index finger hits the button, but my finger does remain STRAIGHT with the middle part of my finger sliding across the groove. My finger CAN'T enter the trigger well when it is straight.

I'm hoping by now you guys KNOW :) That I'm not trying to simply kick against the grain here just for the sake of argument. I just am not experienceing any of the bad features that are tlaked about with Serpa's.

Now the retention of a Level II or lack there of is completley understood. I'm just not seeing them as an ND happy holster. No more than any other ND's that happen. I've never see you guys blame gear over the operator :p

Ok, I'll take my lashings now :D
    shy.gif

The Serpa requires downward pressure with the trigger finger. Add stress, increased pressure of the finger due to stress, and speed due to stress, and the chances elevate. The trigger finger should only be used to pull the trigger. I am sure thousands of people have drsawn thousands of times from a Serpa with no ill affect, and I am sure thousands more will; and no, there are no documented cases I have heard of. but, that does not mean it has not or cannot happen. Why set yourself up for an increased chance for a ND when there are better, albeit more expensive, but better options out there.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The Serpa requires downward pressure with the trigger finger. Add stress, increased pressure of the finger due to stress, and speed due to stress, and the chances elevate. The trigger finger should only be used to pull the trigger. I am sure thousands of people have drsawn thousands of times from a Serpa with no ill affect, and I am sure thousands more will; and no, there are no documented cases I have heard of. but, that does not mean it has not or cannot happen. Why set yourself up for an increased chance for a ND when there are better, albeit more expensive, but better options out there.

Gotcha, although the downward pressure could be a problem, the tip of the finger is never curled. You really press the button with part of the first joint, not really the tip. So your finger stays straight when it comes out. However, downward pressure is indeed needed.

I guess it's the choice we make, but I surely wouldn't place myself on the other end of the range from a guy with a Serpa, I think I would do that if he was showing poor weapon handling altogether.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No lashings. If you like it, buy one and use it.

But I would practice with it... a LOT. And practice under stress, against the clock. Presenting at your leisure gives a false sense of security.

Agreed, and that I do. Alot of dry runs and live runs. I usually draw double tap, holster, repeat. I haven't been to any real formal handgun training. Besides a few weeks at Stone Bay doing the Annual CQB training. It's more revolved around the Rifle than the pistol. I'd love to do more but the sport/training is not as popular over here.

My finger actually flares outward upon draw than settles above the trigger. I did not teach myself this, I think a few DI's yelling in my ear to keep my booger finger away from the trigger until ready to fire helped some. :p

I'm alot more settle on the M16/AR than I am a pistol. I'm still getting the feel for it.

Thanks for your input fellows. ;)

Last edited:

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't have a problem with the Serpa for a range holster. For a carry holster, I see a mechanism that can (and some day probably will) fail. It will either break or get jammed up with dirt or trash. And, as Murphy would have it, It'll happen just about the time you really need your gun. Hope it doesn't cost you your life... YMMV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom