Liscense plate question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    Ok, I been thinking about getting one of those things that blurs your license plate when viewed from an angle. It's used to keep you from getting the camera tickets. What I want to know is, is this legal? You can see the plate clearly from straight on, but at an angle, its blurred. Does this meet the requirements for plate visibility?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    LRS 47:507
    B. Every permanent registration license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible

Take that how you will. Seems to me that it needs to be clearly visible and not have foreign materials over it. Mythbusters tested a lot of these products and found them to be snake oil, but then again would their insurance actually let them tell america how to evade speeding tickets?

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    I mean, I have looked these things up and they say they're legal, but who, trying to sell a product, will admit their product is illegal, right? I actually saw one on a car at BRCC the other day and from head on, above and under straight on, you can see clearly. What I wanna know is if I got a cop saw it, would I get pulled over for it?

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I saw the same mythbusters show as topgunz1, and recall that none of the blockers seemed to work well enough to defeat the cameras.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Amazingly enough, if you don’t speed, you don't get you speeding tickets.

It's a weird phenomenon, I know. :mamoru:

And apparently a misunderstood concept.:confused:

However, if the OP chooses to neglect the traffic laws, and the blurry plate shield doesn't pan out; he could always try blasting through the red lights at top speed to try to beat the flash.:dunno:

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    nah, the back story is, I was letting my nephew use my car to go to work till he went to basic for the Navy. Well, after he left, I got some tickets in the mail and they're all at 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning, so unless I was driving in my sleep, I know it wasn't me. I've also gotten tickets in my name where the wife has blown through a light or past a trailer and gotten snapped. Then when the ticket comes, she blames it on me. Then I have to hear her scream on how i gotta pay the damn ticket or they're gonna jack with my already bad credit score.

So from my position, if I can keep stupid people from getting tickets in my car, then it's worth it to me.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    nah, the back story is, I was letting my nephew use my car to go to work till he went to basic for the Navy. Well, after he left, I got some tickets in the mail and they're all at 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning, so unless I was driving in my sleep, I know it wasn't me. I've also gotten tickets in my name where the wife has blown through a light or past a trailer and gotten snapped. Then when the ticket comes, she blames it on me. Then I have to hear her scream on how i gotta pay the damn ticket or they're gonna jack with my already bad credit score.

I do believe there is a way to appeal the tickets if you can prove that you were not the driver at the time. You may want to look into doing that.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

So from my position, if I can keep stupid people from getting tickets in my car, then it's worth it to me.

Sounds like you need to have a sit down talk with both of them ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Sounds like you need to have a sit down talk with both of them ;)

Hell, I think this calls for multiple indiscriminate slaps at the very least!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hell, I think this calls for multiple indiscriminate slaps at the very least!

Gibbsslap-1.gif

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Try rigging up some sort of electrically operated James Bond type gizmo or something. Maybe a James Bond site might have some information on covert gizmos.

Heck, just stop at every traffic light you come to even if it's green, then wait for it to cycle again and go. That way the yellow light won't getcha.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I use to have to approve the red light tickets and I can say that it does not take a picture of your car unless you cross the white stop bar after the light is red. The license plate covers are illegal and in baton rouge you will get a ticket. I think the statute was brought about so people would not obscure their plates to do crimes. I never understood why people want to protect a license plate when technically it's not even yours it's the states. Apparently some people are so proud of them they will even put neon lights around it just so you will notice it

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Try rigging up some sort of electrically operated James Bond type gizmo or something. Maybe a James Bond site might have some information on covert gizmos.

Heck, just stop at every traffic light you come to even if it's green, then wait for it to cycle again and go. That way the yellow light won't getcha.
    That's exactly what I planned to do, I got 2 speed tickets one in Westwego, and another in N.O. One for 45 in a 35 (westwego) and 56 in a 45 in N. O. It pissed me off so bad I decided that now that I have to drive through N.O. to work and may get hit by a red light camera at 4am I'd rig up a solenoid and hinge with my license plate. Flip it up when I'm going through known areas with camera, and flip back down after I'm out the area. There would be a message under the plate for the camera also, probable a bird finger.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That's exactly what I planned to do, I got 2 speed tickets one in Westwego, and another in N.O. One for 45 in a 35 (westwego) and 56 in a 45 in N. O. It pissed me off so bad I decided that now that I have to drive through N.O. to work and may get hit by a red light camera at 4am I'd rig up a solenoid and hinge with my license plate. Flip it up when I'm going through known areas with camera, and flip back down after I'm out the area. There would be a message under the plate for the camera also, probable a bird finger.

Outline it in LED and even the LEO will find that Funny

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

I don't let stupid people drive my car? :dunno:

Top Bottom