Loaded Magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Will keeping AR-15 magazines or any quality magazine fully loaded for long periods of time weaken the spring causing feeding problems?

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I've had some stored for years Metal or Magpul 30 stacked. I have always heard both sides views though just as stated above. My personal experience with them? It's been a non-issue. Now since I've posted this, I will probably start having issues. THANKS!

P.S. I cycle most of my mags, but I have a few that stay loaded and ready that only get cycled and reloaded maybe once every 2 to 3 years.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I know it is a Non Issue with Glock magazines. It is the cycling that weakens springs.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/magazine-springs-and-ammo-cycling/

I shoot enough that mine are cycled through many times per year, but the majority of them stay loaded. Mags are cheap, especially AR mags. If I have one that acts up more than once, it usually goes in the trash, but that really doesn't happen very often. It's not something that I worry about.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Consensus is that it's a non-issue.

Also physics, metallurgy tells us it is a non-issue.

Regardless, some still down-load their mags, seems like 28rds is popular among these folks. Doesn't hurt, but you won't have those last two rounds ;)

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Non issue.

Think about it, it's like a paper clip. It's not the constant tension that kills it, it's the back and forth movement over time that kills it. Of course it would have to really have some excessive use.

Keep them loaded is a non-issue. Using the same mag over and over a thousand times is more harmful.....imho

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Even if you cycle the mags they will still be loaded all the time. You can cycle the ammo (shoot it) and reload with fresh ammo. I guess the question is loaded mags vs empty mag storage. I have both and have not experienced issues either way. I have had bad mags but that was right out the box and over time but can't blame it on storage. Things malfunction, wear, and break. Keep a few loaded up and store the rest empty if it makes you feel better. ;)

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    ive found a few metal ar15 mags with broken spot welds, that were stored at max capacity.
    now i dont load those with more than 20 rounds.

my grandfather was a gun nut. we found a old rusted colt .25 acp in his collection, when he past. the mags were loaded. We believe they had been stored loaded for more than 20 years
    the gun and mags function fine, to this day. I've heard similar 1911, and astra tales

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I load my D&H aluminum mags to 28 rounds (I have read about issues with feed lips). My Magpuls and steel mags, I load to 30. Springs wear out from use, not from static loads.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I have a Remington 597 magnum that u cant leave ammo in long. U have to disassemble and restretch the spring and reass. It will hold maybe 6 months but after that I would not trust it.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    ... when I was in the Navy, we carried 1911's and extra mags loaded to max -1 cartridge. I've done that since and never had a problem in 30+ years.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am sure this is not enough for the "know it all" crowd here, but stand alone magazine manufacturers and tier 1 gun manufacturers have consistently maintained that long term storage of loaded magazines is not an issue to the life and functionality of the magazine.

If the physics of springs failed like that, every car in America over 3 years old would have their chassis resting directly on the tires.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    BUT! BUT! BUT!... The high speed low drag range officer at Honey Island told me he doesn't keep his mags loaded, because it kills the springs!

I think he's a member here. If he is, I apologize if I hurt your feelings, but you're wrong.

Top Bottom