Loaded Rifle in Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Does Louisiana have a Law addressing keeping a loaded rifle in your vehicle? If so, can somebody please direct me to it. I was having a hard time searching. Thanks.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Generally speaking no.
    WMAs and game reserves can be exceptions at certain times of the year.
    It does suck to search for laws regarding long guns.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would imagine not, a car is an extension to your home, now yes wma's could be a diff story,

That's another topic for another time... :deadhorse:

Anyway, there are no laws stating that you can't have a loaded rifle in your vehicle. Certain Federal/State areas will have restrictions, but generally speaking, feel free to drive around town with a loaded .50 cal on your back seat.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

Anyway, there are no laws stating that you can't have a loaded rifle in your vehicle. Certain Federal/State areas will have restrictions, but generally speaking, feel free to drive around town with a loaded .50 cal on your back seat.

Extension to you home would be " beating a dead horse" lol you don't say!!!! Is that like a " chp vs ccw" lol

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

You know we could run this post prob 6 pages if we debate that!?!?!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Extension to you home would be " beating a dead horse" lol you don't say!!!! Is that like a " chp vs ccw" lol

CHP
    CHL
    CCP
    CCL
    CCW
    CWL
    CWP
    CACL
    CACP

it goes on and on

You know we could run this post prob 6 pages if we debate that!?!?!

Most likely, but I'm leaving work early, so I won't be on my computer for long and I don't want to miss some good trolling debates :rofl:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    CHP
    CHL
    CCP
    CCL
    CCW
    CWL
    CWP
    CACL
    CACP

it goes on and on

Most likely, but I'm leaving work early, so I won't be on my computer for long and I don't want to miss some good trolling debates :rofl:

OK then let's but this thing wide open right now:
    Rifles are for open carry, not to be locked in some vehicle.

Wait I can do better:
    Rifles are for open carry, not to be left in some unlocked vehicle.

But in all seriousness, I would tend to not transport a loaded rifle. Matter of fact a little space between rifle and ammo might be prudent.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I was told that you can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle, but not a long gun. This is one of the reasons for AR-15 pistols. But I am not a lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I was told that you can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle, but not a long gun. This is one of the reasons for AR-15 pistols. But I am not a lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt.

That kind of reminds me of the old you can carry a gun in the car but not the bullets routine. But then again these intrurpretation come from some where.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

For safety & because I don't need a problem.
    If I get stopped by a police officer I don't need a loaded rifle next to me in the passenger seat. Or the back seat. Or the trunk. There is virtually no scenario I can foresee where I would need access to a loaded rifle that quickly. I little separation from the ammo may be appreciated by the officer or not, his call. If it ain't loaded there won't be a problem unloading it either.

I would prefer not to have a round in the chamber of a rifle in a vehicle period.

And no I don't think the ammo will magically or accidentally get into the rifle. Especially not with the ECI in there. On bolt guns the bolts is not even in the rifle during transport.

In some states the ammo is to be kept in a separate compartment. I am not sure how that works in some vehicles.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I know if I was an officer and I saw a rifle in you car and I asked you if it was unloaded and you said yes, I wouldn't believe you one bit!!! Just saying, no offense to you,but I wouldn't believe anybody, " un loaded guns" kill people everyday,mistakes happen, to me it is loaded until I check the firearm atleast 2-3 times

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I know if I was an officer and I saw a rifle in you car and I asked you if it was unloaded and you said yes, I wouldn't believe you one bit!!! Just saying, no offense to you,but I wouldn't believe anybody, " un loaded guns" kill people everyday,mistakes happen, to me it is loaded until I check the firearm atleast 2-3 times

Yep the most dangerous guns are the "unloaded" ones.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom