LOL WUT? - Alligator Neighbor Murder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Drugs is bad for you.......

CUT OFF, La. - The shooter who killed a man lying in his neighbors' driveway in Cut Off had been on drugs for days and thought the victim was an alligator, his attorney said during the trial's opening statements Wednesday.

Prosecutors, however, maintain that Robert Chouest, 31, committed second-degree murder when he shot Shawn Galjour, 41, of Larose, in the head with a Browning rifle May 22, 2013.

According to the Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Office, Galjour walked onto ABC Lane about 4:20 a.m. About 25 minutes later, deputies responded to the shooting and found his body next to the defendant's home, in Chouest's grandparents' driveway.

Sheriff's Office reports say Chouest shot Galjour from about 50 yards away after he called out to Galjour and the man didn't respond. Assistant District Attorney Annette Fontana said Chouest then retrieved the gun, "got into a stable kneeling position," and using the rifle scope, fired.

"The defendant shot to kill Shawn Galjour," Fontana said. "This was a senseless murder."

Defense attorney George Ledet Jr., of Cut Off, presented a different story.

Chouest had been awake for two or three days before the shooting, using cocaine, methamphetamine, prescription pills and alcohol, Ledet said. Detectives have said Chouest told them he smoked crack before the incident, but the other drugs weren't previously mentioned.

Ledet said his client often hunted on the property he and his family lived on, shooting rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, possums and coyotes. When Chouest's grandfather told him an alligator was living in his culvert, Ledet said, Chouest wanted to kill it.

The animal eventually left, and Chouest's grandfather blocked the culvert. But when Chouest saw Galjour lying in the driveway, Ledet claimed, "he thought he was shooting an alligator."

The defendant's statements to authorities suggesting he knew his target was human were fueled by fear of his family finding out about his drug use, Ledet said.

In a recorded 911 call, Sandy Chouest, Robert's wife, reported that her husband had accidentally shot someone. Asked about the lighting at the scene, responding officers testified that it was sufficient and the street lamps were working.

Aaron Montez, a former Lafourche sheriff's deputy who responded to the scene, said Galjour was known to drink heavily.

Dr. Patrick Walker, a deputy coroner for Terrebonne Parish, said he also performs autopsies for the Lafourche Parish Coroner's Office under a private contract. He testified that Galjour was intoxicated and on his back at the time of the shooting.

Former Lafourche sheriff's deputy James Prestenback, who responded to the scene, said the defendant made the comment that he "wouldn't have shot if (Galjour) wouldn't have flinched."

Ledet said Chouest and the victim didn't know each other and that his client cried when he realized he had killed a person.

"Both of these young men had demons that perhaps controlled their lives, and for whatever reason, their paths met," he said.

State District Judge John LeBlanc is presiding over the trial at the Lafourche Parish Courthouse in Thibodaux. If convicted of second-degree murder, Chouest faces life in prison.

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/lafourche-terrebonne/2015/03/19/alligator-defense/25018045/

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Whoops. Didn't see your post, Dave. Let the discussion begin! Let's get a crazy level on this dude, from 1-10? I'm going with 15 :dogkeke:

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    26964412.jpg

I don't buy that he did not know. Even if, hopefully the jury will see the intent lies in him intentionally doing drugs for three days to get to that point.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've pulled all nighters working before and even after just one night and caffeine things get...weird. If he was up for three days and on all that stuff I don't doubt he saw an alligator. And probably rainbows and leprechauns too. I'm curious to see how that plays out in court. By law seems like it would be a negligent homicide?

Scylas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    It was his choice to stay up for that amount of time doing all that stuff. That's as negligent as driving while drunk or playing russian roulette, if you ask me.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I would argue that the alcohol and drug binging is not a mitigating factor but compounding. He's demonstrating the propensity to harm others and his defense is that he lost control and harmed others. What's to stop him from doing it again? Lock'em up and throw away the key. Oh, is there a "Bat-****-crazy" on that crazy meter? ;-)

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I don't doubt he thought it was a gator, and for some reason he had to go sniper mode and kill it. Friend of mine has a story where a guy gave her a Xanax laced with LSD or something and didn't tell her. She woke up outside 3 days later with a broken hand and blood everywhere, because she was punching imaginary trolls on the ground. Drugs can do weird things to people, and when you mix that with no sleep for days... yeah.

Doesn't mean he isn't responsible for what he did though. He chose to take the drugs. He needs to pay for what he's done.

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    But did he think the alligator was trying to forcibly enter his home and do him harm? That's pure justification right there!

Be sure of your target and whatever is beyond. Seems I've heard that somewhere once or twice before.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I don't do drugs so I have no idea as to what effect a mixture of coke, meth, pills and alcohol would have on a person. But if did all that and still managed to pull off a head shot from 50 yds. away, he is either lying about how much drugs he did or he is lying about him thinking it was an alligator. Either way, he's responsible for a person's death.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Just exactly why was the guy lying in his neighbor's driveway at four in the morning....was he going to wrestle the alligator when it came out of the culvert to eat him or what. Gives a whole new meaning to hunting alligators when you the bait!
    So the lesson here is if you going to sleep in a driveway...sleep in your own driveway. Or it doesn't pay to be the hunter and the bait when gator hunting...geeze

Top Bottom