Longer range .22 Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Just curious to how far you guys have stretched a .22LR. I am by no means a distance shooter, but I think suppressed bolt action rimfire is as fun as shooting gets.

Gun is a savage mkii 21.5" Barrel. Ammo is CCI 40g SV.

8-12mph full value wind. Shooting downhill about 4 degrees.

Target is verified 286 yards. Shooting at the fire extinguisher and 8" Steel plate. Confirmed my dope @ 150 yards

It took me 12 rounds to hit the Fire Extinguisher. After hitting that, I got 4 consecutive hits on the steel plate.

Drop at that range is 144 Inches.

This gun is surprisingly accurate. I have no way to measure groups at that range.

I would like to try some Wolf MT 40g, I hear they group twice as tight in these guns.

Anyone else shoot rimfire at distance?

IMG_0022-1.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Horus Hawk 3-12x50. I love Horus reticles. I will never own a magnified optic without one. I would really like to get the 4-16 Horus with the H25 reticle for this gun, but at $800, its probably a stretch. For longer shots with this scope I either have holdover off the grid or have to dial in as many mils as I can get and go from there.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Just shot again today. I replaced my stock mount with an EGW 20MoA base. Zeroed at 150. Also switched to wolf MT, verified the BC from 50 to 150

Here is a NON-TYPICAL, 100% luck group. I thought I hadn't even hit the target looking through the scope. I was quite surprised. I dialed in enough mils to get it on the grid crosshair. Wind was very steady for this string. I don't think I could shoot it again in 100 tries.

Both groups were at an even 300 yards.

3 shots
    eb02a20e.jpg

Here is a more typical 10 shot group
    62ddb1da.jpg

Only dialed in elevation to get it on the grid, held over for wind.

These savage mkiis are amazing.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I am a metallic silhouette shooter and have fired on the small bore silhouette targets at 200 meters with my Anschutz Exemplar pistol equipped With Bomar sights. Ammo was Wolf Match Target. The ram target body size is about 4" tall and 8" wide. After a few shots to get a zero for that range, I was able to topple 3 out of 5 targets. That's 200 meters with a handgun and iron sights so the scoped rifle at the distance you stated is very possible. Quality firearms and quality ammo is a must for that distance.

Great shooting there goteron. Kudos for taking the long range challenge with the 22. So many people believe anything past 50 yards is long range.....and for my sport most people think it is impossible with a 22 LR handgun.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

ARboy

Master Class
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    I shoot Eley Match and Eley Tenex out of my Anschutz rifle. My current lot is shooting at 1057 feet per second. I have a 2013 action with a 500mm barrel in a 2018 Precise Stock. I usually shoot it at 50 meters, but I've shot it out to 200 yards with open sights, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Shot a little 300 BLK today as well. Factory 220subs. Thompson ProHunter with MGM 16.5" barrel. SCAR-H suppressor.

This hits with a tad more energy. (445fp vs 56fp) I've got a crummy scope on it now, but it works good for 200 and in.

95edfcc5.jpg

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    A buddy of mine has a Mark II FV-SR-- probably a bit too short of a barrel for those types of ranges.

I can say that the thing is a tack driver, and hilariously quiet. (Literally, I almost fell over laughing when I broke the first shot.) I've heard louder pellet guns, several times.

jcvititow

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    gonzales
    Kinda an older post but I know my 10/22 likes Remington target ammo better then the wolf match stuff. Might be worth trying. Mine shot nearly half what it shoots with bulk ammo with wolf. Nearly half that with the Remington ammo. Course this was all at 50 yards tho.

Top Bottom