Looking for .17 info!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paublo25

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I'm looking to get the 17 caliber rifle. Not sure what brand to go with what I was looking at the savage rouger. Any opinions on what type of rifle you shoot would be greatly appreciated. Not looking to break the bank but don't want to spend money on something that's crap.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Wow. A .17 caliber huh? OK, let's see if we can help.

Are you looking for rimfire? There are two basic rimfire choices, .17hmr and .17 HM2. Brand new on the market is the .17WSM, the fastest rimfire in the world. Also worth mentioning is the 5mm. It's closer to .20cal, but has good performance.

Are you looking for a centerfire? .17hornet? .17 Remington?

What is the intended use of this rifle? Do you reload?

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I went with the Marlin XT-17. With the wood stock it was $250 at Cabellas. I added a Simmons 3X9X40 varible scope ($35 Academy), a Blackhawk 9-13" bi-pod ($45 Walmart), and $18 (I think) for the Weaver mounts. Its one of my favorite guns to shoot. I might upgrade the scope in the future, but I'm in no hurry.

paublo25

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Well it will be primarily for varmint and anything that wants to eat my crawfish. I'm glad to hear about the Savage but I read that the Marlin magazines were a little loose when inserted and some times had trouble feeding.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I've never had a feed issue with the Marlin. The only reason I didn't buy a Savage was I preferred the way the Marlin mag slid in, the Savage required a little better alignment and more effort to install. It may just be a personal preference. I handled and operated alot of 17hmrs in the stores before I bought. It came down to two with the others thrown out for quality or price. I thought the Marlin and the Savage were both great guns at a reasonable price.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I didn't like what was commercially available.....so I built my own. Bought a receiver blank based on a modified ruger 10/22 magnum design, beefed up the recoil springs & rebarreled it. It uses 10/22mag magazines, steel bolt (not the brittle tungsten bolt ruger originally used), & a standard ruger trigger group.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I had a Savage 17HMR...Just a base model without Accutrigger. It was extremely accurate. 5 rounds at 50 yards would be one ragged hole and I'm not that great of a shot. I shouldnt have sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom