Looking for a digital grain scale.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have the cabela's branded one and it works fine, but the above one is the one to get. I don't think you will be happy with the elcheapo pocket scale.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    The dillon is expensive but is what I plan to eventually get. If I buy a cheap one I'm probably going to regret it later.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Bit more than I'm looking to spend unless there are no other alternatives. Actually I'd go ahead and buy the lyman that spits out the powder for you.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    My friend got one but I don't remember what it is. You need at least .1 grain resolution. Don't confuse resoultion, accuracy & repeatabilty. Get the real specs on that is not something I'd count on.

I would get one with a check weight, not one without. Look at max weight also. You may want to measure bullets or something like 10 throws.

I've seen some guys complain about the dispensing type. The take too long to warm up and stabilize and flourescent lights can mess with them. Also some digital scales 'hunt' and don't settle.

I have a decent balance scale. If not I'd probably be looking for a digital. If the scale is just a luxury I'd put my money into case prep tools like a Giraud.

Some others:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/frankford-arsenal/catalog.asp?product=Micro-Reloading-Scale

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    got a pact scale and disp. both work fine. then of course they came out with both in one. i think my pact is + or - 1 and good to 1500 grs

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Look up Competitive Edge Dynamics (www.CEDhk.com) and check out their scales. I have a Dillon electronic scale and really like it. CED makes it for them. CED also has some smaller and more portable scales. The biggest problem withany digital scale is any air movement will be shown in the scale. It will not settle down. Dillon and others have a wind block included to keep this from happening. Even the breeze from the A/C will bother a digital scale. We have the same issues with the scales at work. They are really good, just wanted to let you know.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    For these scales that have a check weight, how heavy is the weight? And what is the usual range of the scales? Do the scales have an "auto calibrate" of sorts for use with the check weight? Or do you just check the accuracy at that point and then send it back to the manufacturer for complete calibration if it's off? I just have a hard time believing that you can get any kind of a decent calibration done on a scale by checking accuracy on only a single point in its range, unless of course that single point happens to be the same weight as your charge.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Good write up LSP, thanks! I'm going to test the loads from the balance scale and that should ease my mind, lol.

Top Bottom