Looking for advice on an Arkansas get away

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Long story short, my fiance is graduating with her master's in a couple weeks. She really wants to get away for a long weekend some time mid-January and has decided that somewhere in Arkansas would be ideal. We are definitely on a budget, and could use some ideas on reasonably priced places to get away. We're thinking more of a cabin than some hotel.

We've only been up to AR once when we went to Eureka springs about 5 years ago and it was great, but we would like to check out a new spot on this trip.

Any suggestions on locations to check out for a nice quiet get away would be great.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Hot spring has everything and is cheap.
    Check hot springs vacation rentals, they are the largest rental place in town. I know they used to offer packages with a condo, meals at local restraunts, massages, etc all at discounted rates.
    When you go downtown, eat at the BBQ place (can't remember the name) way better than you would expect.

- - - Updated - - -

Hot spring has everything and is cheap.
    Check hot springs vacation rentals, they are the largest rental place in town. I know they used to offer packages with a condo, meals at local restraunts, massages, etc all at discounted rates.
    When you go downtown, eat at the BBQ place (can't remember the name) way better than you would expect.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Petit Jean state park. Decent cabins at a good price, INCREDIBLE views, good hiking, beautiful waterfalls.

My wife and I went here several years ago.

Cabins are reasonable, lodge rooms a little cheaper but still nice.
    Cabins prices are $80 no kitchen duplex, $105 regular, $180 with hottub.
    Lodge rooms are $70-$75.

Beautiful waterfalls, good hiking even for non-hiking folks like me.

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Yep, go visit Arkansas state parks website; plenty to suit your needs, I get email once a month for their specials. Take her look for Diamonds at the state park too.

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    Homeaway.com for all your vacation rentals. I rented a house in Pensacola last summer for 5 days built in pool boat in the shed went with the rental full furnished 4 bedroom for 400.00. They have rentals all over the country.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Mt Nebo state park.
    Relatively small and quiet, the views fron Sunrise and Sunset points are awesome.
    There are a couple really easy hiking trails if your into that.
    Deer everywhere.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    One Day in Petit Jean
    -Be sure to go to Rock House Cave
    (And stop at the little Store on the left that sells Fudge... )

Then to here:

http://www.cliffhouseinnar.com/
    The drive on 7 is GREAT!!!!
    -Good food too. GREAT VIEW!!!!!!
    Or you can eat at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper... or that place... last place in the strip before the gas station headding east from the Ozark Cafae... The owners/cooks are from here.
    Then go 8 miles north to Jasper, and over to Ponca in the morning to see the Elk.
    (Be sure to stop off 2 miles before Ponca at the buffalo river acces... it's a BEAUTIFUL valley, with shear clifts....

After the ELk yards (Get gas and a snack in Ponca)
    Travel south through Boxley valley, stop at the lost farm if you have time. And come back to I-40 in CLarksville.

Then, go to Russellville and drive south to Hot Springs and spend a Day.
    Gangster museum isn't bad, and there are tours of the "Glory days"
    Be sure to see the Park and the springs.
    You can come south through Texarcana and down on 49

If you go from Russellville to Hot Springs you can go 14 miles out of your way and go see Mt Nebo... you can see that in about 90 minutes though.... If it's slick/ice on the roads DO NOT go.
    (Or you could see it from Petit Jean, just out your way on your way to the Clift House)

Be sure to try to eat at these places:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/50/540523/restaurant/South-Memphis/Down-South-BBQ-Hot-Wing-Memphis
    (Doesn't look like much...but GREAT food!)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/atkins-international-cafe-and-deli-atkins
    Best Ruben I've ever had. (Cash only)

Get a Pizza here:
    http://www.zazapizzaandsalad.com/locations.html

You could do it in 3 days if you started from Little Rock (Don't know if you drive straight through, how many days you have, or how much you want to drive)

DO get up onto the Ozark Plato, and the Boston Mts... Nebo And Petit Jean are nice, but this time of year, when you can see the bones of the Mts.... I'd cut those if I had to cut something.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Thanks for all the advice guys, especially Nomad, 2nd (we wanted to try and find some good food up there!). Hopefully this weekend we'll get some time to sit down and check these places out.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Have you ever checked out the Chattanooga/ Gatlinburg area?
    You'd have the beautiful scenery with the tourist trap attractions nearby.

lovers-leap.jpg

9144257829_036ceccd0d_b-300x206.jpg

Last edited:

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Arkansas has some of the nicest State parks at some of the best prices out there. We lived in AR for 6 years and did several weekend get-a-ways around the state. Some of the state parks we have stayed at are Petit Jean, Lake Catherine and Morro Bay (cabins just opened a couple years ago). All three are great!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom