Looking for hot sauce recipes.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Hi everyone. My wife and I recently planted our first garden, and being the heat lover I am I planted some jalapeno's, cayenne and a habanero plant with hopes of making up some sauces. I already have a recipe for a Thai style sweet chilli sauce, which is a favourite of mine from back home. What I'm looking for now is a good hot sauce recipe to try out once my peppers start coming on strong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Aussiecajun,
    I grow peppers too. Although I don't have a recipe for hot sauce, I do have a recipe for pepper-jelly that seems to be popular. Just planted some peppers a few weeks ago and have been getting requests for pepper-jelly from people already.
    If you want it will be glad to post it.
    Gary

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Aussiecajun,
    I grow peppers too. Although I don't have a recipe for hot sauce, I do have a recipe for pepper-jelly that seems to be popular. Just planted some peppers a few weeks ago and have been getting requests for pepper-jelly from people already.
    Gary

Post away Gary!!! I love cream cheese and pepper jelly on crackers!!!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Aussiecajun,
    Gary

Post away

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    HOT PEPPER JELLY
    4 cups finely chopped, seeded, peppers ( jalapeno and whatever other peppers you have, or like. They all don't have to be hot peppers). with any juice. I chop mine in food processor in small batches.
    1 cup good cider vinegar
    5 cups sugar
    1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
    1/2 teaspoon butter or margarin to reduce foaming.
    8- 1/2 pint jars, sterilized and standing in hot water bath canner with rings and lids ready.

Measure the chopped peppers with juice into a 6 0r 8 quart sauce pot, add the vinegar, Sure-Jell and butter.
    Stir and turn the heat up to high, stir constantly so the bottom doesn't scorch while doing this.
    When the mixture comes to a full roilling boil, one that keeps boiling when stirred, add all the sugar at one time ( have it measured out and in a bowl close to you). Keep stiring to get all the sugar dissolved, don't let sugar on bottom of pan stick and scorch. the heat will melt the sugar...keep stirring.
    After the mixture comes to another full rolling boil that doesn't stop when stirred...boil for 1 full minute, time it on your watch ( 1 1/2 mins if you arn't sure ). Cut off the fire and continue stirring for about another min. to reduce foaming.
    Skim off any foam on surface ( it doesn't go away but butter helps reduce it a lot )
    Ladel hot jelly into prepared jars to within 1/8 th inch of top. Wipe rims clean and put on lids and rings , finger tight.
    Place hot , filled jars into water bath canner, add boiling water to cover tops 1 to 2 inches and bring to a boil.
    Process 1/2 pint jars for 10 minutes in boiling water. Turn of fire and let sit 5 minutes before removing jars to cool on several layer of newspapers ( protects counter top from heat ).
    I usually double this recipe, all the work is in stirring so you might as well make 16 jars. all the times are the same just double all the ingredients
    Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Pepper jelly sometimes takes 2 weeks to fully set, but it will.

Excellent with cream cheese on crackers, with fried chicken livers and mixed with bar-b-que sauce to grill meat and chicken.

Enjoy....Gary

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Thanks for thebidea Aussie, my Jolokia bush is putting out more peppers than I know what to do with.

No problem lol. Always wanted to try the ghost pepper, but already know I wouldn't be able to handle it.

HOT PEPPER JELLY
    4 cups finely chopped, seeded, peppers ( jalapeno and whatever other peppers you have, or like. They all don't have to be hot peppers). with any juice. I chop mine in food processor in small batches.
    1 cup good cider vinegar
    5 cups sugar
    1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
    1/2 teaspoon butter or margarin to reduce foaming.
    8- 1/2 pint jars, sterilized and standing in hot water bath canner with rings and lids ready.

Measure the chopped peppers with juice into a 6 0r 8 quart sauce pot, add the vinegar, Sure-Jell and butter.
    Stir and turn the heat up to high, stir constantly so the bottom doesn't scorch while doing this.
    When the mixture comes to a full roilling boil, one that keeps boiling when stirred, add all the sugar at one time ( have it measured out and in a bowl close to you). Keep stiring to get all the sugar dissolved, don't let sugar on bottom of pan stick and scorch. the heat will melt the sugar...keep stirring.
    After the mixture comes to another full rolling boil that doesn't stop when stirred...boil for 1 full minute, time it on your watch ( 1 1/2 mins if you arn't sure ). Cut off the fire and continue stirring for about another min. to reduce foaming.
    Skim off any foam on surface ( it doesn't go away but butter helps reduce it a lot )
    Ladel hot jelly into prepared jars to within 1/8 th inch of top. Wipe rims clean and put on lids and rings , finger tight.
    Place hot , filled jars into water bath canner, add boiling water to cover tops 1 to 2 inches and bring to a boil.
    Process 1/2 pint jars for 10 minutes in boiling water. Turn of fire and let sit 5 minutes before removing jars to cool on several layer of newspapers ( protects counter top from heat ).
    I usually double this recipe, all the work is in stirring so you might as well make 16 jars. all the times are the same just double all the ingredients
    Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Pepper jelly sometimes takes 2 weeks to fully set, but it will.

Excellent with cream cheese on crackers, with fried chicken livers and mixed with bar-b-que sauce to grill meat and chicken.

Enjoy....Gary

Thanks for the recipe. I personally am yet to try any pepper jelly, but my wife loves it so will definitely give this recipe a try. Is there a way to bottle it without the water bath canner though?

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    While I am not big on salad, pepperjelly-vinegarette is DA BOMB

1/4 cup pepper jelly (I usually go with Tabasco but homemade would rock)
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I usually halve this, not a salt fan.)
    1/2 cup olive oil

Or if your lazy you can go to Chimes and they will put it on your salad for you :D

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I see pepper jelly in my near future!
    qu9u4u5u.jpg

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Heck just slice those bad boys and half and do stuffed peppers with cream cheese and your favorite sausage mixed in with a big piece of bacon wrapped around it. I could eat those things till I become sick..

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't know how it's made, but some of that chilli paste stuff used to season Pho is good stuff. :yum:

Wikipedia says: Vietnamese hot sauce is made from sun-ripened chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt. It is very popular in Vietnamese cuisine, often used in a wide variety of foods.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    1/2 lb of fresh cleaned habanero peppers.
    1 lb of smoked jalapeño peppers.
    3 tablespoons of kosher salt.
    1.5 cups of distilled white vinegar.

Smoke the 1lb of cleaned jalapeño peppers via your standard smoking method. I prefer a fruit wood smoke.

Pulse chiles and kosher salt until they're a medium to course purée.

Transfer to quart glass jars and loosely screw on lid and let stand for 12 hours.

After fermentation, add vinegar and loosely screw on lid and leave mixture at room temp for 7 days. Stir daily.

Purée mixture until ultra smooth.

Strain through cheesecloth in a funnel until there are no remaining particulates.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    1/2 lb of fresh cleaned habanero peppers.
    1 lb of smoked jalapeño peppers.
    3 tablespoons of kosher salt.
    1.5 cups of distilled white vinegar.

Smoke the 1lb of cleaned jalapeño peppers via your standard smoking method. I prefer a fruit wood smoke.

Pulse chiles and kosher salt until they're a medium to course purée.

Transfer to quart glass jars and loosely screw on lid and let stand for 12 hours.

After fermentation, add vinegar and loosely screw on lid and leave mixture at room temp for 7 days. Stir daily.

Purée mixture until ultra smooth.

Strain through cheesecloth in a funnel until there are no remaining particulates.

Enjoy.

Will give this a try. Nice and simple just like I like it lol. 1 question though. Where you say "Pulse chiles and kosher salt until they're a medium to course purée.

Transfer to quart glass jars and loosely screw on lid and let stand for 12 hours", is that refrigerated or at room temp?

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Will give this a try. Nice and simple just like I like it lol. 1 question though. Where you say "Pulse chiles and kosher salt until they're a medium to course purée.

Transfer to quart glass jars and loosely screw on lid and let stand for 12 hours", is that refrigerated or at room temp?

Room temp.

You want the initial mix to ferment a bit.

After the vinegar is added everything dies anyway.

Transfer to old hot sauce bottles after you're totally done and store however you want.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    HOT PEPPER JELLY

Enjoy....Gary

Just made and jarred a batch - My kitchen smells righteous not to mention my sinuses have never been this clear!
    Any tips on getting the peppers to separate in the jars they are pretty much floating in the upper 1/3? I plan to rotate the jars lid - bottom to see if I can get them to suspend.

Top Bottom