Looking for land around Abita Springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I am looking for some property in or around Abita Springs (2-4 acres). If anybody knows somebody who knows somebody, drop me a PM. Not interested in Lacombe. School districts are a determining factor.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I've been looking from mandeville to albany. Looking for 2-4 also but seems like it's either 1 acre for 80k or 10 acres for 100k (looking for about 10k an acre 20-40k) good luck on the search!

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    St. Tammany prices are crazy. I've been looking off and on for the last two years. Only way I'll end up with a sizable piece of land in the next few years is if I win the lottery.

Stancel, what school district are you trying to AVOID?

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I am trying to avoid pearl river, slidell and Lacombe districts. Slidell has one decent district, but any property 1+ acre in size in it is either a million bucks, or flood zone VE. And besides that, my wife and I are life long residents of Slidell and can't stand what it has turned into since 2006.

Abita is really where I want to be.

I will say this. I have looked at 4 different pieces of property and 3 of the 4 were classified as wetlands by the Corp of Engineers. The government goons at the Corp has been classifying more and more land on the Northshore as Wetlands. And I am talking about dry pine tree forest!! It is $15,000/acre to touch it after you buy it. Yea, you have to pay the government $15K to clear an acre on your own damn property!! Government doing what government does I guess.

I am sure you both know already, but you got to check and double check the wetlands classification with the Corp before purchasing. Several pieces of land around Abita are up for sale because people bought and didn't do their homework, and now they are trying to dump it on any unsuspecting buyer they can find.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    What grade level? I think most, if not all, of Abita is in Fontainebleau High boundary.
    My kid was in the first graduating class of Lakeshore High. It was built to alleviate overcrowding at Fontainebleau. Funny how with less kids there, they still use the portable buildings. Lakeshore has top of the line everything, so does Monteleone junior. When the boundary was being proposed for Lakeshore, a bunch of pretentious assholes from the Greenleaves area made a big stink about having to send their kids to school with kids from Lacombe. The morons were blind to the fact that those Lacombe kids were already going to the same school as their kids before Lakeshore opened.
    Honestly, the junior high and high school kids form Lacombe that I have come in contact with are pretty laid back, down to earth and respectful. My kids play sports with them at Pelican Park and a few even attend the same church as us. Sure, there's some bad apples everywhere. But I've heard some wild stories and read some arrest reports involving kids from Fontainebleau and Mandeville high.
    We moved here in 2005 right before Katrina. It was funny hearing some of the kids describe Lacombe as "the hood". Drove my kids through Lacombe one weekend and they asked where "the hood" was. Had to tell them they were in it. Then a year later, the school took a field trip to the French Quarter. We had to take some back streets because of construction. Should have seen the faces on the kids that have never been to the southshore before... priceless.

Anyway, hope you can find something in Abita. If my wife didn't commute across the bridge I'd move up there or maybe even further to Folsom. If by some chance you decide to look a little further south, like Mandeville, there are some areas that are south of I-12 that are not in a flood zone. Where I am at between 190 and 1088, no flood insurance is required. But then again, you'll probably have to sell your soul to afford 2-4 acres in Mandeville.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    I have 2 acres in Hickory but then that is Pearl River schools we like it here but would like to move to Texas. house has been on the market off and on but not takers we are asking 180k we have on neighbor that don't keep up his yard but putting a 6ft fence up next month.

Top Bottom