looking for opinion on fishing yak.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im looking to get a kayak in the next month or 2.... So far I have narrowed it down to 3 kayaks, Ive read good reviews on them, but 1 has had a few iffy reviews and 1 doesnt have too many reviews. So far im leaning to this http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12-Sit-In-Angler-Kayak-Desert-Storm/product/10225299/137887 the fs 12 sit-in.

But Im thinking I should go with a sit on top for increased comfort and ease to get in and out.... Ive seen mixed reviews on the sit-ontop http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Sand/product/11081905012225/212176.

Ive heard alot of good reviews about the ocean kayaks and came across the http://www.basspro.com/Ocean-Kayak-Endeavor-Kayak/product/10210335/107636 sit ontop.

Has anyone had experience with any of these 3 kayaks? I am gonna mostly be fishing on the mandeville and madisonville area. Also if anyone has any other suggestion i am open to other ideas, Im looking for something not much more then 700$. Also needs to be able to handle a big guy like myself.

J

jayd

I am gonna mostly be fishing on the mandeville and madisonville area.
    ... not much more then 700$.... Also needs to be able to handle a big guy.

Fishing 'Yak? Get a Sit on top
    Big guy? Get a used Ocean Kayak Big Game or Heritage Redfish

Masseys sporting goods has demo days about once a month

dhfischerjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Pearl River
    I have a Stealth 14 from Malibeu and would not trade it for any other. I picked it up from seal sports in Madeville. In the interest of full disclosure I do work there Friday and Sat, but I still love my boat.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Mad River

Look at the ones by Mad River. We have one and like it alot. I think it's in that price range. If it was me I would start with something very basic (300-$400) and see if you like it. People spend way too much money on their first yak and then never use it, and then sell it. Yaking is not for everyone, but if you do get one and like it , it can open up a whole new world for catching fish. We have a place in Grand Isle and we now use out kayaks more than our CC boat. Its way cheaper, easier to clean, and we are back at the camp way earlier with always enough specks or whatever to eat for lunch or supper. I'm no expert by any definition on kayaks, but I've used them enough to know that you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get one that you can catch fish with.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There's a BIG Kayak club down here. I went to Bobby Lynn's a few weeks ago and rented some with my brothers and really enjoyed it, even though the fish weren't biting. Try to find their forums and ask around.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks guys, Ive been wanting to take a ride to massey's just havent had a chance yet. I may try to go down there soon. Also I dont wanna spend a ton of money but at same time I want to buy something that will last a while. I have been checking for used kayaks, but havent found too many fishing kayaks in driveable range atm for sale used. I will see if I can find that group if they have a forum.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I ran the boat department at the backpacker for a few years a while back. I took the, from selling a few boats a year to a few hundred. I have paddled almost every one and fished out of most.
    Just get a Wilderness Systems tarpon 140. It's the best one

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a member of the bayou coast kayak fishing club and Lafayette Kayak fishing club; I"ve been at it for about 2 years now. Consider joining those forums, especially the bayou coast club - its membership has grown enormously the last couple years. I know the Ocean Kayak is a good model and lots of the big guys use them - check the payload if you're a big boy. Consider cruising the used market on the bayou coast site, you can get a gently used one that retails $1000+ for $700. I spent some cheese on mine, but love it... after pedaling a kayak instead of paddling, you'll never go back. Hobies are a little more pricey, but they all have sail mounts for custom(or purchased) sails. Sailing a kayak is almost as fun as fishing in one.

My ride:

prien lake.jpg

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom