Looking for perfect gun for pop's ranch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Need some help recommending a firearm. I'm not an experienced hunter, nor a native to his area so I'm totally clueless here. Could some of you more experienced hunters/gunners lend me some wisdom to pass on?

Pops is looking for a small gun to add to his 4-wheeler or sling on horseback for patrolling the ranch. He got his retirement property a few years ago outside of anchorage and generally carries both a .44 magnum and a bolt action rifle. He feels they are both necessities but challenged me to find a firearm that could be his 1 gun for the 4 wheeler.

Looking for something small, with plenty of mag size, semi-auto, and a serious punch.

Would .223 handle something like wolves, cougars, bears? If not, is pops already utilizing the most logical approach?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    AK in 7.62x39. Then again, that's my solution to everything, but it is rugged, effective and has a good capacity. If he has a box on the front or back of the 4-wheeler, then a folding stock AK would probably fit fine inside of it.

If commie rifles aren't his thing, and he really likes that 44 mag, then he could pair it with a lever gun in the same caliber.

If he is looking for a do-all handgun for all of the above listed 4 legged predators, then a 10mm Glock might be the ticket.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Growing up, the ranchers I knew used a mini-14 with 5 rnd mag if they were younger, the older crew used 30-30's for their truck guns. You say he's on horseback too, he's going to be hard pressed to find something better than a lever gun for a scabbard. Carrying a slung rifle on a horse is going to get old quick.

Personally I'd go with a 30-30 or 45-70 if something bigger seemed necessary. .

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    when i mentioned .223 to pops, he snickered and told me never to traverse Alaska without him.

I guess that was answered. ouch.

And yeah, he's debating the mini-14. thanks for the tips guys.

at lunch so ill elaborate for giggles at my expense:

"pops dont any of your neighbors carry .223 AR's?"

"hehe hell no boy, we have REAL animals up here. they'll eat ya while yer still kickin'. Your .22 probably pops yotes alright but it'll just **** a grizzly straight off."

zzzz

Last edited:

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    He's probably looking for something like a 45-70 lever action. I think they hold four rounds and will work on real animals like he has around there.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    What kind of budget is he shopping with? Does he reload? Wild West Guns has some nice tho spendy offerings. I'd vote lever action also but in the .44+ calibers. 44 mag, 454, 444 marlin, 45/70 and 450 marlin would all make good bear medicine within range and with the right load.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    hadn't considered that, but yeah the lever action would be a difference maker. I'll suggest it.

and nah pops has no budget. he'll spend ten bucks or ten grand but have the same rifle til the day he dies.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    300 BLK OUT AR Pistol...9"-10.5" barrel...w/ SigTac Arm Brace. Then he can choose what .308 bullets he wants to use...whether it's 110g, 125g, 150g or heavier! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I considered an AR pistol initially but I'm not sure it'd drop an angry bear faster than said bear would get his paws on the shooter.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking to get adopted! Tell pops I'll tag along with him as back-up! LOL

lol I offered as well, unfortunately the biggest threat in my closet is the .223 AR so I'm not much help.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm not much of a long gun guy, but you mentioned semi auto and capacity -- how about a collapsable stock AR-10 (308)? Or 300 BLK? 20-100 round mags?

I dunno, if a 600lb grizzly was coming at you at 40mph, would 1 or 2 shots stop him before he got his hooks on ya? The local DWF said most bear encounters have successful shots and/or spray, but the bear just kills the person before the injuries kill the bear.

Suddenly hogs n snakes in louisiana don't seem so bad.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    everyone he's talked to carries 2 guns. 45-70's, .44mags, and 12 gauge with slugs are the most popular among the locals. I just cant imagine being somewhere and needing 2 separate guns.

The 10mm Glock may be my choice for when I visit. I've got to think that makes a serious hole. Plus its a Glock...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Saiga 12 with folding stock to be able to fit in an ATV box. 12 or 20 round drum filled with slugs or alternate buck/slug.
    Mines not for sale though....

p8s8whq41e7w07zk3jd1.jpg

c8e90jfyzy5yamo83dl.jpg

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    AK...close to a 30/30...light, fast, durable...if not that, lever gun. Im pretty sure you could shoot a grizzly enough times with a 7.62 to do more than **** him off.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    16" .450 bushmaster. It packs a punch and allows for fast follow up shots and reloads. Factory ammo is easier to find than other big bores for around $1.25 rd. You can get 10 rounds into the IMI 30rd polymer mags that palmetto sells for $10 without modification. Steel 20 rd 5.56 can be modified w a blue single follower to feed 5 rds.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    45/70 lever gun and a pistol of his liking. But I would go off of the locals there instead of the locals here. We don't have big bears or angry moose running around La.

Top Bottom