looking for reloading material

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigrobkell

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    NOLA
    i am looking to start reloading but i want to make sure i do my homework first. Can any one suggest some good reloading material for me to read? i have seen counless reloading manuals but since i am new to reloading i am not sure which to start with. any help is appreciated. thanks

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I like the Lyman 47th Reloading Handbook
    It has the best load data and has plenty of room on the pages to write in personal data such as OAL, bullet type, etc….
    Houma Auto Parts should have a copy if you wan to look at one first
    That’s where I got mine

I have the Speer and some others but never use them

bigrobkell

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    NOLA
    9mm, .45, 10mm, and eventually 5.56 and 6.8spc. im looking at the dillon 550 right now. i figured while i save up for the dillon i can learn as much as i can. thats the plan for now anyway.

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    It is not in front of me but I think the book is called the ABC's of Reloading...It is one of my favorites and will be at books a million. You can also find alot of reloading videos on youtube as well as Lee's website.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    9mm, .45, 10mm, and eventually 5.56 and 6.8spc

That’s an awful lot to reload for

9mm can be bought for a reasonable price and 45ACP isn’t that bad
    The 10mm would be worth it if you shoot a lot

I use a Dillon 550 to reload pistol(40S&W and 45ACP) but was somewhat worried about 223
    Rifle brass needs to be trimmed and 223 won’t work in an AR is the shoulder isn’t right
    AR reloading

I use a Hornady Lock-N-Load for 223. This is a great system for the lower round count of a rifle
    Maybe it’s just me but I shoot much more pistol than rifle

Reloading for the AR has especially been a problem for me. I started out reloading for a bolt precision rifle
    A bolt gun will always chamber but an AR seems to be giving me fits

I’ve changed dies for AR reloading but am still not that certain about it. The Dillon would have been a bad choice but maybe I’m ‘challenged’

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville

I use a Dillon 550 to reload pistol(40S&W and 45ACP) but was somewhat worried about 223
    Rifle brass needs to be trimmed and 223 won’t work in an AR is the shoulder isn’t right
    AR reloading

I use a Hornady Lock-N-Load for 223. This is a great system for the lower round count of a rifle

Reloading for the AR has especially been a problem for me. I started out reloading for a bolt precision rifle

I’ve changed dies for AR reloading but am still not that certain about it. The Dillon would have been a bad choice but maybe I’m ‘challenged’

In regards to the 223 issues.....Are you using small base dies?

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I really don’t know what a small base die is or where to order from

For bolt gun
    I use a Redding B/FL 07 without neck sizing insert. This is a full length die with changeable neck inserts
    Trim brass
    Run through B/FL again with neck sizing die. I prime during this stage
    Then load power and bullet
    It won’t work for the AR

For AR reloading
    I use a Redding Body U8 die
    Then Redding B/Nk U8 without neck sizing insert
    Trim brass
    Redding B/Nk U8 with neck sizing insert. I prime during this stage
    I check casings with a Wilson casing checker

Crimp

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I really don’t know what a small base die is or where to order from

For bolt gun
    I use a Redding B/FL 07 without neck sizing insert. This is a full length die with changeable neck inserts
    Trim brass
    Run through B/FL again with neck sizing die. I prime during this stage
    It won’t work for the AR

For AR reloading
    I use a Redding Body U8 die
    Then Redding B/Nk U8 without neck sizing insert
    Trim brass
    Redding B/Nk U8 with neck sizing insert. I prime during this stage
    I check casings with a Wilson casing checker

Crimp

Small Base Full Length Sizer dies squeeze the brass down to minimal SAAMI specifications. To ensure reliable feeding in semi-automatic firearms

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=466853

Beaver Creek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Denham Springs (Watson Area)

AR reloading

The Dillon 550B & 1050 produces a fine .223 load with no problems for me in a Colt HBAR, Bushmaster or M&P15. I rarely trim cases unless I'm looking for 1/2 MOA accuracy. The key to success is a separate factory crimp die. I know this crimp thing has been beat to death on this forum and others but I do crimp .223's going into an autolader and will continue to do so but I never, never, never crimp with the seater die.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I use a Wilson Case Gauge to check cases but when there’s a problem. What is the solution?
    Different dies?
    What type?

I will do as highstandar40 suggest and get a small base FL die for AR reloading.
    I had thought my problems were shoulder related and not base related but I will try the small base FL die

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I use a Wilson Case Gauge to check cases but when there’s a problem. What is the solution?
    Different dies?
    What type?

I will do as highstandar40 suggest and get a small base FL die for AR reloading.
    I had thought my problems were shoulder related and not base related but I will try the small base FL die

So all your ammo meets specs in the gauge but is unreliable in the AR?

What kind of brass are you using.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    No, they won’t fit in the case gauge. I use the case gauge everytime I change dies or make adjustments to try and find the problem

Lake City mostly but I had the same problem with Remington and Winchester

New brass loading works great. No issues at all

Once or more fired brass won’t chamber. It gets stuck before bolt can close and is hell to push back out
    I tried 3 different uppers, same results.

I stopped using the full length die and started using a body die and a Redding B/NK die

This seems to have done the most good
    They fit in the case gauge a lot better but not as good as new brass reloads
    It’s easy to tell the reloads are right at the edge of not working

I will order a full length small base die
    If this doesn’t work, then it must be a shoulder problem

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    No, they won’t fit in the case gauge. I use the case gauge everytime I change dies or make adjustments to try and find the problem

Lake City mostly but I had the same problem with Remington and Winchester

New brass loading works great. No issues at all

Once or more fired brass won’t chamber. It gets stuck before bolt can close and is hell to push back out
    I tried 3 different uppers, same results.

I stopped using the full length die and started using a body die and a Redding B/NK die

This seems to have done the most good
    They fit in the case gauge a lot better but not as good as new brass reloads
    It’s easy to tell the reloads are right at the edge of not working

I will order a full length small base die
    If this doesn’t work, then it must be a shoulder problem

the small base dies will fix your problems but you shouldn't be having them if you have a full length sizing die that is properly adjusted. neck sizing is not a good route for semi autos. maybe you can describe how you are adjusting the fl sizing die? also are you trimming your brass?

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I just ordered a small base full length and a small base body die from Sinclair
    The body die is supposed to bump the shoulder as well. If the FL works, I won’t be using the body die

I will try the FL to see if that will do it.
    In the past, I sized the neck but from now on I will not size the neck. I order the S type and can run without the sizing bushing

And yes, I always trim the brass

The FL die I have been using is adjusted all the way. It won’t work. Ammo will get stuck in 3 different ARs

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    what kind of fl die do you currently have? also you may have an issue with neck tension if you don't size the neck in the process.

are you new to loading?

i have read of issues with fl sizing dies not working properly in one gun but can't see it happening in 3. sammi specks have a min/max. ive heard of guns having a tight chamber and the dies being on the max size of the chamber and there being issues but the chances of you haveing 3 tight chambers in rifles that weren't custom built is pretty unilikely.

also have you tried the brass after sizing and trimming for fit before charging and seating the bullet? that would help rule out any issues that may be caused in the seating function. also are you crimping?

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Not new to reloading. Have reloaded 10s of thousands of pistol rounds. No problems

Have reloaded several thousand rifle rounds for a 223 bolt gun. No problems. I have noticed the bolt takes more pressure to close than usual. I only use Lapua brass for the bolt gun

The FL is a Redding type S. It has neck sizing collets. I have always sized necks for a bolt gun. I never crimp bolt gun bullets but do neck size

I always trim brass. Bolt gun or AR

The trouble started with once fired brass for AR reloading. The brass is not random pick-ups but recovered brass that I had fired. Mostly Remington

AR uppers that have trouble chambering reloads(if you call getting stuck before bolt closes as being trouble) are a Bushmaster(chrome chamber), JP barreled upper and a DSA upper(nitride). All do exactly the same thing

Any new brass reloads(Lake City, Remington or Winchester) work great
    Once fired is the problem
    AR loads are crimped on cannelure. I only load 55grgr FMJs for ARs.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    What die are you using to crimp? I would try a couple sized cases for fit. It will tell you if the problem lies in the sizing, seating, or crimping function. Are you seating and crimping in the same step? it could be a couple of things either the cases are not getting sized properly. Or the crimping is bulging the case at the shoulder. If a sized case fits try loading some and not crmping them to see if the problem still exists. Also as a side note it's really not needed to crimp these rounds if you have proper neck tension

Top Bottom