Looking for somewhere to legally shoot other than range?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saltdeposit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Kenner, La
    Does anyone know a place I could do a little target shooting other than a range? I live in kenner and am looking for some place to take my son to shoot his gift on christmas day. Im thinking all shooting ranges will be closed , just want somewhere completely legal Would even drive to mississippi.... Any advice would be deeply appreciated..

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i too am curious about this, if i was to drive out in the middle of no where, could i just walk into the woods a-ways and plink away? Is this considered a no no?

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The Stennis buffer zone. Free, legal and always open. The added bonus is that you may well run across some good folks from this forum there.
    There is a sticky thread at the top of this section that will help direct you there. Satellite photo. Unfortunately, no one has posted GPS coordinates, yet.
    If you look through that thread, don't be scared off by a number of posts questioning its legality. Toward the end, a Hancock deputy confirms that it is indeed okay.

Merry Christmas and happy shooting. Welcome to the forum. :D

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Study that thread. There is only one place that is okay. If you are across from a cemetery = fail. Under power lines = fail. North side of I-10 = fail.

In an old borrow pit, strewn with litter, a small berm and depression right at the road, and a large berm right at 100 yds, about 200 yds past a small pond on the right = good to go.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Its about 2mi. north of Pearlington, MS. In the no longer existing community of Logtown, MS. 'Bout a mile from the Stennis exit I-10 (as the crow flies).

Last edited:

Fireball McVein

1986 ATC250R
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Northshore
    I too am looking for something like this. I really wish it was like the good ole days when you could walk into just about any patch of woods with a few beer cans to shoot and have a blast. I'm not that old at 35 but we did this all the time as kids and teenagers. I am on the Northshore so the Stennis center is really close, I may try this. Thanks for the info and research.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Study that thread. There is only one place that is okay. If you are across from a cemetery = fail. Under power lines = fail. North side of I-10 = fail.

In an old borrow pit, strewn with litter, a small berm and depression right at the road, and a large berm right at 100 yds, about 200 yds past a small pond on the right = good to go.

This was disgraceful to see!

Please don't litter! And you guys that shoot out there ought to consider cleaning some of that crap up or burining it (even though you may not have contributed). Quickest way to lose a public area is to let it get abused by scumbags.

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    This was disgraceful to see!

Please don't litter! And you guys that shoot out there ought to consider cleaning some of that crap up or burining it (even though you may not have contributed). Quickest way to lose a public area is to let it get abused by scumbags.

Many of us carry some away with us each time we go. I keep trash bags in my range bag for that purpose. Fill two bags BEFORE i shoot. That way I'm not tempted to skip. Kinda like a range fee. Sadly, more need to.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Many of us carry some away with us each time we go. I keep trash bags in my range bag for that purpose. Sadly, more need to.

Sounds like a Northshore/Slidell/N.O. BS group outing in the making! "Save our Shooting Pit!" ;) Or; "Come with a Bullet, Leave with a Can."

Last edited:

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have heard of the "Buffer Zone" before, and it sounds like a hell of a place to go shoot, but it's too far for me to go on a regular baisis. Is there anywhere closer to Baton Rouge to do this same thing? I would love to take my boys (10 &13) somewhere and let them plink away but there is just nowhere around here, that I know of, to do it. Any help would be apreciated.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Does anyone know a place I could do a little target shooting other than a range? I live in kenner and am looking for some place to take my son to shoot his gift on christmas day. Im thinking all shooting ranges will be closed , just want somewhere completely legal Would even drive to mississippi.... Any advice would be deeply appreciated..

i too am curious about this, if i was to drive out in the middle of no where, could i just walk into the woods a-ways and plink away? Is this considered a no no?

I too am looking for something like this. I really wish it was like the good ole days when you could walk into just about any patch of woods with a few beer cans to shoot and have a blast. I'm not that old at 35 but we did this all the time as kids and teenagers. I am on the Northshore so the Stennis center is really close, I may try this. Thanks for the info and research.

I have heard of the "Buffer Zone" before, and it sounds like a hell of a place to go shoot, but it's too far for me to go on a regular baisis. Is there anywhere closer to Baton Rouge to do this same thing? I would love to take my boys (10 &13) somewhere and let them plink away but there is just nowhere around here, that I know of, to do it. Any help would be apreciated.

The world is truly getting smaller, guys. This is almost bringing a tear to my eyes. I could tell you a, "When I was a kid" story; but that would really make you understand that there are no easy roads anymore.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Bz.jpg

so bz 3 labeld in this pic is good to go? i can bring w/e i want to shoot at as long as i cleans up and for the sakeof us being allowed to shoot there , fill a trash bag up before we leave? hoping to go there monday.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    yes #3 on that pic is the one they are talking about is OK. all of the others are NOT. like leonidas said before under powerlines = no go ; next to a cemetary = no go the only one that is alright has an obvious berm built and there is a depression/berm/moat at the beginning of it that someone build to stop trucks from driving down there and dumping **** im guessing. it is on the right hand side of the road right past a pond

and this is a "new" one slinky. the one on the other side of the interstate did get shut down but this one has still been there for as long as i can remember, although that probably isnt that long at all compared to others

Top Bottom