looking for work in the oilfield

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    i didnt want to hijack the other thread so i decided to start my own...

im a journeyman plumber by trade and cant find a job around here to save my life. i have about 3 months experience in the oilfield working 21&7 in west virginia, i was driving a water truck and im NOT a truck driver(but i do have my class B CDL), im looking for something more hands on. my wife is 6.5 months pregnant and my nest egg is pretty much gone, im getting kind of desperate. a friend of mine is a driller for trinidad and he was supposed to be getting me on there but, due to them pulling all of their rigs from around shreveport and moving them to south texas, he cant get me face to face with the people who would actually hire me. im more than willing to go offshore but dont want to spend the money to get my twic card unless it's a guaranteed thing.

it seems that a gun is the going rate for a job lol so ill make it worth your while after a few weeks of working;)

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Shell has pulled most of the operation from Shreveport, Wyoming, South Dakota, etc .......... the price of gas is too low for them to drill for it.

Your best bet right now would be offshore, you can always look into production, very seldom it slows down unless the wells sand up or they sell the field.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    If you wanna work 7 & 7 check out Axxis drilling. They are in Houma. They are actually a trinidad company. All barge rigs. Could possibly start off as a roustabout if not start as a galley hand and within a few weeks could be roustabouting... And you don't need a twic card

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Look on rigzone.com

Also, check the websites of the larger offshore companies, i.e. WoodGroup, Ensco, Transocean, etc..

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    that's why trinidad pulled their rigs, they are leasing them to company's in south texas to drill for oil. they have several wells in shreveport that have been drilled but havent been fracced due to the fact that it's almost pointless now, they'll wait til the price of gas goes up then go back and start fraccing

I spoke to my sister's co-worker's son(yeah, i know right) the other day, he works for grand isle shipyard and told me that if i get my twic card i could go to work almost immediately but i dont know this guy from adam and cant really afford to throw $130 out there for something im not 100% sure of

i know the production side is where it's at but i dont know where to begin looking to get into that

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    that's why trinidad pulled their rigs, they are leasing them to company's in south texas to drill for oil. they have several wells in shreveport that have been drilled but havent been fracced due to the fact that it's almost pointless now, they'll wait til the price of gas goes up then go back and start fraccing

I spoke to my sister's co-worker's son(yeah, i know right) the other day, he works for grand isle shipyard and told me that if i get my twic card i could go to work almost immediately but i dont know this guy from adam and cant really afford to throw $130 out there for something im not 100% sure of

i know the production side is where it's at but i dont know where to begin looking to get into that

Even if that job doesn't pan out, the TWIC is applicable to plenty more. I wouldn't consider it a waste of money. See if the employer is willing to pay for it anyway.

13f3p

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    madisonville, la.
    i am in the same situation. i am a diesel mechanic,i've been home for 8 months now,i've been to job fairs,interviews etc.i can't find a job for the life of me.i am beyond the point of desperation.if anyone has a lead,i sure could use it about now.if you can hook the op of this thread up do it,if there is another position,send it my way. thanks ya'll

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    i am in the same situation. i am a diesel mechanic,i've been home for 8 months now,i've been to job fairs,interviews etc.i can't find a job for the life of me.i am beyond the point of desperation.if anyone has a lead,i sure could use it about now.if you can hook the op of this thread up do it,if there is another position,send it my way. thanks ya'll

I just texted a friend of mine. I cannot remember the name of the company he works for but I want to say he is a mechanic on turbines. I'll find out.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    The TWIC card is a joke. Been having mine for almost five years and haven't pulled it out of my briefcase once. But most companies that hire you will pay you back.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Check out Woodgroup. That's who my friend works for. Haven't talked to him. Don't know if they are hiring.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    I work for Woodgroup (contracted out to Stone as a mechanic). They are hiring. Call the office in Lafayette or go to the website.

Also, Island is hiring, as are a few others.

shamrock

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Kenner
    Try Baker energy 337-406-8300, Woodgroup337-837-8767, Danos 800-487-5971 They are all offshore contractors. As far as a TWIC card not all offshore platforms require them.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    For both try Halliburton, they are hiring for most skilled trades.
    As for the diesel mechanic there are so many signs in Houma saying "need diesel mechanic".

Top Bottom