Looking to borrow or buy cheap Lg Dog shock collar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Looking to borrow or buy a cheap Lg Dog shock collar. Duke, our 2 yr old Lab does everything with us, (horse shows, camping, etc) He is very energetic and has a huge backyard to chase squirrels and birds. He is an inside dog and has access to the yard via doggie door. We have completed 80 hrs of obedience training and he is a great listener and obedient dog. However, he loves to sneak out of the front or side door when someone comes over. Of course he runs like a greyhound around our subdivsion. He is the fastest and most energetic lab we have ever owned. He weighs 80 lbs and is all muscle. Anyway enough of the drama, looking to use a shock collar to keep him from approaching and sneaking out of the doors. Also he tends to still jump when someone new comes around because he is excited. Let me know what you have. May even consider duracoating a firearm for trade if someone is interested. Duke's photos below

Dukeathorseshow.png

IMG_4581.jpg

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Electric monitoring of any kind can and will fail. Invest in a fence or block the doggie door. Doesn't sound like you live somewhere where you can have the luxury of just letting the dog decide, so you have to do it for him. I can't put my Lab outside alone even with a fence, the fat butt climbs over it.

G

gunguy11

Check out the sportdog 400.
    "training" collars have worked for many years with little failure.
    Professionals use them as do I and many other sportsman. I use mine to control my dog while in the fields hunting upland game. It allows you to always keep them in check and you can use the beeps for a silent command.
    Without the collar he my German shorthair listens well but with it on he is like another dog.
    0f0a315d.png

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I bought a cheap training shock collar for my Mastiff off ebay. Worked like a charm. Price was somewhere around 20-30 dollars. I only needed to use it a few times to break a bad habit she was forming, now I only need to show her the remote and she stops what shes doing. She hasn't worn the collar in a year, but just the sight of the remote shuts her down.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    There are a few ways you can go about this.

First how is Duke getting out again? Are you saying he opens the door with the door handle?

Also the jumping is best curved as a pup and changing it with a 80 lbs. 2 year old will require some physical force. When he puts his paws on anyone they should grab both paws and flip him backwards. Also you can knee him in the chest when he does it too. Not MMA Knee him like you want to break his ribs lol Just push him back with your knee. If it’s NOT you, keep a check cord on him and allow him to get close to someone. When he goes to jump on them yank him down hard with the check cord and say ‘NO!’

Anytime a dog puts their paws on someone it’s a sign of showing dominance. Duke is showing dominance so that who he shows it too will then give him attention. If you watch that’s most likely what is happening. He jumps, then someone bends over and pets him so he doesn’t jump again, thus giving him what he wants.

What have you done so far to correct this behavior?

Is Duke snipped?

Also They aren't called 'Shock Collars' anymore they are called 'E-Collars' and for good reason :p
    Back in the day the old collars had one setting, BURN! Some even got stuck on.
    Most of today's Collars come with a Training DVD, Manual and enough settings that you'll never figure out or use them all. Some vibrate, some have lights, some make tones. ALL of them when set on the lowest setting can BARELY be felt on the sensitive side of the forearm. Sometimes not all depending on the person. No imagine it around your labs DOUBLE COAT. Not likely to feel it at all.

They are completely safe to use and are extremely effective.
    However there are a few different training philosophies when doing so.

In the case of the Sportsman training a Gun Dog the Collar should not be used to curve behavior but to only enforce what the dog already knows.

In your case, the collar can most assuredly be used to curve behavior but a smart dog will soon figure out that if the collar isn't on he can do what he wants.

This is why it's best to stick with the first philosophy IMHO. First teach the dog what it is you want him to do. Then enforce it with low settings on the Collar.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Electric monitoring of any kind can and will fail. Invest in a fence or block the doggie door. Doesn't sound like you live somewhere where you can have the luxury of just letting the dog decide, so you have to do it for him. I can't put my Lab outside alone even with a fence, the fat butt climbs over it.

If you haven't ever actually used something like the PetSafe system and are just repeating what you've heard, you really should give it a try. It works well for us and has for our last three dogs, the most recent being a fairly hyper Border Collie / Australian Shepherd mix. I was a believer before I bought into the system due to my neighbor being able to contain his two very energetic Labs...

G

gunguy11

Nice writeup Hitman I wasn't going to go
    Into all that detail. Since he said the dog
    Already had obedienece training. Assumed he knew the basic techniques of training.
    Oh and I called it a training collar not
    Shock :D

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    If you don't find one close to you shoot me a pm. I have a tritronics (I think that's the brand) at the house I'd let you borrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

ETA: Yes, it is a Tri tronics 200 series. Sending you a PM.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom