Looking to buy a new rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Looking for some opinions. I'm looking to buy a .308 hunting rifle. I was wondering if any of y'all have a special brand you like to use. I've heard Sako, wetherby, and tikka are all good rifles in the .308 caliber. Do y'all have any preferences? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    So many great rifles out there being made now. Savage, Winchester, Remington along with what you mentioned. On the budget end, Mossberg has some bolt actions out now too. A buddy of mine has one in .30-06, and loves it. I think you might want to narrow it down by your price range. Otherwise, just pick one up and put it in your shoulder.
    Go with what feels good. It's hard to go wrong these days.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you're on the cheap side of a budget, look at the Ruger American. Avoid the Remington 770, total junk...
    I've been curious - how's the Ruger American compare to their ol' m77? I've been killin' deer with the M77 for years, and it's a nice gun.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I've been curious - how's the Ruger American compare to their ol' m77? I've been killin' deer with the M77 for years, and it's a nice gun.

The American is a budget rifle and in my opinion not on par with the M77.
    That is a very good mid grade hunting rifle. The Mauser action is different but proven.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I think I'm leaning more toward the tikka. Is it worth getting the heavy barrel over the light barrel?
    I
    would personally just go with the hunting version of the T3 if i was hunting. If you were dropping the coin on the "tactical" i would look at the Sako 85 finnlight probably my most favorite mass produced hunting bolt gun.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I think I'm leaning more toward the tikka. Is it worth getting the heavy barrel over the light barrel?

I shoot a tikka .300 wsm stainless and wood.
    My favorite gun period for hunting.
    Eventually I will get one in another caliber. I love the stainless on wood. I had to buy the wood stock separate after purchasing the stainless version because it comes with the black synthetic stock.
    a3anepah.jpg

ba2era3y.jpg

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    apejadej.jpg

Browning xbolt topped with a zeiss scope.

I labored over this versus a t3 and eventually settled on the browning.

Had I been looking for a long action I might have got the T3. Both excellent guns.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I don't think it was a hunting rifle show off thread.
    He was asking about the tikka so I showed him an image to show how nice the rifles are and if he wanted to get that look it is possible.

Joel, offered another alternative; within that same price range.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Haha very nice rifles guys!! I went to a few gun stores today. And I really like the look of the wetherby vanguard. But at the same time i like the feel of the bolt mechanism of the tikka. Isnt tikka owned by baretta?

Nick1230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Cecilia,La
    Tikka is made by Sako, the tikka is an awesome gun!! You won't find another rifle near its price range with an action as smooth! Heavy barrel Tikka's are the Varmint and Tactical version which are no longer sold in the U.S. higher than .223 cal. I'd say go for the tikka, the T3 lite is an awesome rifle that is extremely light, you may be ok with the recoil of the .308 but when you get into higher calibers the recoil gets pretty harsh in those light synthetic stocks

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    If you're on the cheap side of a budget, look at the Ruger American. Avoid the Remington 770, total junk...
    I don't know, for $300 with a factory installed scope, mine shoots well enough. I've only killed paper with it so far though. Maybe it's cheapness makes it not hit hard enough on live targets.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I don't know, for $300 with a factory installed scope, mine shoots well enough. I've only killed paper with it so far though. Maybe it's cheapness makes it not hit hard enough on live targets.

no it is the overall quality of the rifle that lacks. for $300.00 you can do much better with a little more money. I would go with t the savage budget rifle before the 770.

Top Bottom