Looking to go hunting for the first time

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Still looking to tag along with someone who has experience bow hunting or hunting with a shotgun to teach me some essentials. Im 20 years old, college student, part-time worker. Not desperate to kill something. Deer, hogs, squirrels, rabbits, maybe ducks, ill have fun as long as i see wildlife. I also have a shotgun to do some of those activities. I have my hunters ed, bow, shotgun, climber and can contribute with expenses to go to public land. I would like it to be no more than 1.5 hours from baton rouge. Ive never hunted but want to go really bad. Ive been practicing with my bow and am pretty accurate at 20,30, and 40 yards. Let me know if i can tag along. Again im interested in hunting deer, hogs, ducks, rabbits, squirrel. Not looking for a paid lease, just someone whom i can tag along with to public land or maybe clear out a hog problem. I plan to follow all rules and regulations. Pm if you can help. Thanks for your time.
    I went to cat island with charles a few weeks ago but it was raining so we didnt get out of the truck. Nice guy and i appreciate him letting me tag along, but the weather was not on our side that day. Thanks charles.

Last edited:

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    i have been talking to a coworker and he recommends tunica or cat island. Thats what im leaning towards since there are no people shooting their guns. But i do not want to go out there alone for my first time.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    chad, sure man give me a call and we can setup a time and place to go.
    sandman, i would appreciate it very much if i could tag along. If i get bored in the stand ill just play on my phone. haha thanks.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You are the poster boy for kids who never get the opportunity to be taught how to hunt by a dad, grandfather, uncle, etc.(Just assuming, of course).

There are options, but if you are priviledged enough to have someone on here bring you along, you should consider yourself fortunate. I am so thankful my Grandfather introduced us to hunting. I only hope my kids appreciate hunting one day as much as I do.

Wow! A true Thanksgiving semntiment for me. Thanks, Papa Joe!

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I'm heading out to Cat Island this weekend. I'm going to re-scout an area and look for any scrapes or active deer sign so I can setup a stand for the rifle quota hunt. You're more than welcome to come along and bring that shotgun. Should be able to take a few squirrels if we're lucky but more so for hog repellent.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I'll be heading out to Cat Island this weekend to do some more scouting for deer for an up coming rifle quota hunt. You're welcome to come along and bring that shotgun for hog repllent. Just keep in mind that a) you have to have a NWA permit which you can get in Saint Francisville (Must bring money order, no cash or checks accepted) and you have to have steel shot, not lead.

i would love to go out there. Depending on what days because i have family coming into town. ill PM for more info.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    You are the poster boy for kids who never get the opportunity to be taught how to hunt by a dad, grandfather, uncle, etc.(Just assuming, of course).

There are options, but if you are priviledged enough to have someone on here bring you along, you should consider yourself fortunate. I am so thankful my Grandfather introduced us to hunting. I only hope my kids appreciate hunting one day as much as I do.

Wow! A true Thanksgiving semntiment for me. Thanks, Papa Joe!

I hope someone does take the time and effort to let me go along. So far ive been itching to go, im from the city and parents never hunted so i never did it. Now that im old enough to have a bit of money, i wanna make that come true. Ive always wanted to hunt, ever since i was little. And i love guns. haha. If i do start hunting, i hope to teach my kids once the time comes (no i dont have any kids)

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I hope someone does take the time and effort to let me go along. So far ive been itching to go, im from the city and parents never hunted so i never did it. Now that im old enough to have a bit of money, i wanna make that come true. Ive always wanted to hunt, ever since i was little. And i love guns. haha. If i do start hunting, i hope to teach my kids once the time comes (no i dont have any kids)

Similar story here. Dad and his Father grew up hunting and fishing. My dad tried to take me hunting once but not sure why it never continued. We just stuck with fishing. I only recently (2006/2007) decided to take my hunters ed course and pick up hunting. I'm still learning and by no means am a successful hunter. Still trying to tag my first deer too. I'm just the kind of person though that can do anything I set my mind to when I want to and learn as I go.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Similar story here. Dad and his Father grew up hunting and fishing. My dad tried to take me hunting once but not sure why it never continued. We just stuck with fishing. I only recently (2006/2007) decided to take my hunters ed course and pick up hunting. I'm still learning and by no means am a successful hunter. Still trying to tag my first deer too. I'm just the kind of person though that can do anything I set my mind to when I want to and learn as I go.

Well, you two don't shoot yourselves!

Quick Hunting Course 101:

Squirrels: Find food trees, or cuttings on the ground, take a seat nearby and wait. No movement in 30 minutes? Move to next spot. (Very hard to stalk squirrels on any public lands. They're on to it.)
    Rabbits: Look for rabbit turds! No rabbit pellets; no rabbits. Find the thickest nastiest briars or bushes and trudge right through ready to shoot. Going around is for unsuccessful hunters/pussies.
    Deer: Look for fresh tracks/trails. Go as far from where other people go as possible. Climb high! If you stalk: Refer to same course of action as rabbits.
    Ducks: Look for sloughs with water, or oxbows with water. If water is growing any type grass? = Bonus!

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La

My Mom is from Queens and my Dad was from Brooklyn. He wouldn't have know what a deer was it it ran up and licked him on the face. I grew up in Ft Lauderdale, Fl. Not much hunting there either. Plus I never shot a gun until I joined the Navy at age 21. We only moved to Louisiana in 2007. That's why I know nothing about hunting but want to go also.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Well, you two don't shoot yourselves!

Quick Hunting Course 101:

Squirrels: Find food trees, or cuttings on the ground, take a seat nearby and wait. No movement in 30 minutes? Move to next spot. (Very hard to stalk squirrels on any public lands. They're on to it.)
    Rabbits: Look for rabbit turds! No rabbit pellets; no rabbits. Find the thickest nastiest briars or bushes and trudge right through ready to shoot. Going around is for unsuccessful hunters/pussies.
    Deer: Look for fresh tracks/trails. Go as far from where other people go as possible. Climb high! If you stalk: Refer to same course of action as rabbits.
    Ducks: Look for sloughs with water, or oxbows with water. If water is growing any type grass? = Bonus!

Whats your reasoning for climb hi ?? Out of their line of sight or better view ?? I usually don't go over 10 or 12 feet, as that will usually put me in the canopy anyways.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Climbing high will lessen the chance of a deer winding you and will put you further out of their line of sight. I like Ol' Man stands for comfort and safety. I try to get around 20 feet or so, with 30 being the max. If I'm hunting half way up a ridge I'll try to get higher to stay in the canopy. Get a good collapsable saw, one that cuts on the pull and push to speed up cutting limbs 20 feet in the air. A safety harness is a must, adjust the tether short, like almost restrictive. Once your confidence gains you can legthen it slightly. I'd like to bring you somewhere but I haven't even been to my own lease heras I just bought a house. Priorities suck. Hang in there, my dad never hunted till I was 10 and kept nagging him to take me. All we knew was that deer are brown. Now I know they are hard to hunt too.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I don't use a harness...never had one, so I don't really know , just looks like a lot of trouble. In reality it looks like something else to trip over

Not gonna fall sitting and if I'm climbing the tree is right in my hands anyway

Just my way, so don't anyone blame me if your too dumb to wear safety gear and get hurt

BTW...I use a Grand Slam cause it fits wide asses better and I prefer chains to cable, especially on power line poles when it's raining

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom