Louisiana leads nation in gun deaths

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jw927

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    From wwltv.com
    Louisiana leads nation in gun deaths
    7 hours ago

Jordan Gribble / Houma Courier

Louisiana had the highest gun-related deaths per capita in the nation in 2011, a new study shows.

The study was conducted by the Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit group working to deter gun violence.

It analyzes data released last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that say guns killed 865 Louisiana residents in 2011. That translates into 18.91 gun-related deaths for every 100,000 people in the state.

Mississippi, Alaska, Wyoming and Montana round out the top five states with the highest gun-related death rates.

Louisiana has remained in the No. 1 position for 11 years, beginning in 2000, Violence Policy Center officials said.

According to the group, Louisiana's ranking is because of weak gun-ownership laws and a high rate of per-capita gun ownership. An estimated 45.6 percent of the state's residents own guns.

"Gun violence is preventable, and states can pass effective laws that will dramatically reduce gun death and injury," Violence Policy Center Executive Director Josh Sugarmann said. "Our analysis shows that states with weak gun violence prevention laws and easy access to guns pay a severe price with gun death rates far above the national average."

However, local state representatives disagree, saying gun ownership laws in place are strict enough but not well enforced.

"Our laws are pretty damn strict already," said Rep. Joe Harrison, R-Napoleonville. "The inherent problem is saying that laws or going to fix it, but we've got more laws in this state than we need already. We don't enforce the laws we already have. But we keep thinking that passing more and more laws is going to change things."

Some state representative said the laws don't do enough to stop people from illegally selling guns on the street to people who wouldn't otherwise be able to legally obtain one.

"I'm all for gun rights." said Rep. Truck Gisclair, D-Larose. "I served four years of my life defending this country and the constitution, so I think we should have the right to own guns. We should have the right to buy a gun off the shelf with the proper background checks. But the biggest problem we face is the people who sell the guns they bought legally to Joe who lives down the street. We have no idea who Joe is or if he should have a gun. I have an issue with that."

Rep. Dee Richard, a Thibodaux independent, said laws shouldn't encroach on responsible gun owners.

"Let's face it there are illegal weapons out there, and we can't stop that. Laws can't stop that. The criminals that have the weapons get them illegally, and there's nothing you can do about that. It's not fair to restrict the folks who can control themselves and get their guns legally. I do, however, believe in people having to take gun courses and learning about their weapons. But I don't want to take away anyone's right to buy a weapon," he said.

Harrison said the state ranking on gun deaths needs to be considered.

"I'm very concerned about the idea that Louisiana is No. 1 again in something so bad. We need to turn ourselves around on these issues. That's where our legislation needs to start going, looking for actual solutions to these problems," he said.

Staff Writer Jordan Gribble can be reached at 857-2208 or jordan.gribble@houmatoday.com. Follow him on Twitter @JGrib_Courier.

jw927

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I'm sure Nola accounts for 90% of this statistic. All the more reason to own a gun (s).

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    You also have to look into how the deaths are reported. Some cities report a death at the hospital as death from medical complications vs gun death. Looks better to tourists.

clem131

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    BATON ROUGE, LA
    is that because we are better shots and hit vitals more often than other states? they might have more shootings but we may be better shots.....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What an embarrassment that they call this a 'Study'
    done by professionals with so-called scientific data.

...and they don't even distinguish the difference between Murders and Deaths,
    or gun violence comparisons like said above about maybe better aim? lol

But oh be sure to mention something about lax gun laws .... what a sham and shame.

Dan Z tried to bring some logic to the discussion here
    But Daniel Zelenka, president of the Louisiana Shooting Association, said that while the VPC study looked at gun death rates as opposed to strictly murder rates from guns, as some earlier reports did, it's important to note that some states with strong gun control laws have high murder rates and that some states with limited gun laws have low rates.

He cited Louisiana, as an example of a state that protects the right of its citizens to own guns and has a high murder rate. Conversely, he said, Vermont, which also has limited gun laws, has a low gun murder rate.

I'd like to know how the two Cities play into that statistic as well.

According to BusinessInsider.com
    Baton Rouge accounts for 29 murders per 100k &
    New Orleans accounts for 53 per 100k.

per 100k .... :eek3:

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I hate 'studies' like that. I wish they would break it down to legitimate LEO and citizens shooting criminals, accidental gun deaths, suicide, criminals shooting criminals, criminals shooting citizens, and illegal aliens causing accidental and or criminal shootings. Most large cities run by liberals have high gun crime and more 'sensible gun laws'.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I hate 'studies' like that. I wish they would break it down to legitimate LEO and citizens shooting criminals, accidental gun deaths, suicide, criminals shooting criminals, criminals shooting citizens, and illegal aliens causing accidental and or criminal shootings. Most large cities run by liberals have high gun crime and more 'sensible gun laws'.

I'm with you.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Yeah You Right Fred G. I was thinking the same thing. Someone in my neighborhood pull a Suicide By Cop, I'd like to know how that's classified. Mayor Boob-burg's group had a List of the Deaths by Guns since Sandyhook that toured the country. Their number included Suicides, LEO shootings, Victims shooting criminals & Accidental Shootings. Also on their list was one of the Boston Bombers. They tried to defend the inclusion of the Russia bum on the list but soon after the hype of the list went away.
    And if I remember right, Chi-town did not give the FBI their crime stats. So was obama's home town included?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If anyone believe that gun laws can prevent suicides, then take a look at Japan. In Japan, a nation with a much smaller population than the US, over 30,000 people commit suicide each year. That is about the same as the United States.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs

I wish they would list the $$$ size of the Grant they received to perform this study........

BS members can join together . Mouthpiece can write / submit the grant, and then we participate.
    (I'm just sayin)

In Japan, a nation with a much smaller population than the US, over 30,000 people commit suicide each year.

Next they will have to outlaw rope, shoestrings & long walks in the forest.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I wish they would list the $$$ size of the Grant they received to perform this study........

BS members can join together . Mouthpiece can write / submit the grant, and then we participate.
    (I'm just sayin)

I can't believe you would say such a thing! What about the children? (OK, sarcasm off now) :D

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Don't forget about baton rouge
    There's a billboard on I-12 that says "Baton Rouge Murder Rate Higher Than Chicago's".

Being as I will throw a BullS flag without provocation I checked it out. Went to the FBI Uniform Crime Statistics site and sure enough, BR has a higher homicide rate than Chicago's.

The truth is that open or closed gun laws don't make a bit of difference in homicide rates. LA ranked 17 in the Guns & Ammo ranking while the Brady Center ranks us as tied for 47. I'm good with that. When I visited Belize a couple years ago there was a report on the local news of someone getting capped every night. From a country where private gun ownership is heavily restricted. Talked to a local who finally got his permit. Took a year and a lot of paperwork as well as items in envelopes to move the process along. All that to get one handgun in a maximum caliber of 9mm. Nobody gets a rifle. The homicide rate there is four times the US average and twice the LA rate. Drug and human trafficking are the major triggers.
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/03/14/ga-ranks-the-best-states-for-gun-owners-in-2013/
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/sites/default/files/2011_Brady_Campaign_State_Scorecard_Rankings.pdf
    http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/belize.html
    http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18620
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Belize/Crime

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The statistics might be correct but concluding that "Louisiana's ranking is because of weak gun-ownership laws and a high rate of per-capita gun ownership" is quite a reach. To draw that conclusion one would have to prove that the majority of gun-related deaths involved legal gun owners and individuals who legally own a lot of guns. The representatives who questioned the conclusions drawn from the study were spot on. The rest of us need to be able to explain that statistics used incorrectly to draw a conclusion where a relationship does not exist is a farce! Sorry, that was a mouthful but you get the point. It is just as likely that the high per capita gun death rate is a result of illegal gun ownership, gang violence over drug turf, and the inability of Louisiana's criminal justice system to keep the criminals in prison forever.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I know who they are. And they are wasting their breath. :)

Any article mentioning the name Josh Sugarmann is not a news item- it is anti-gun propaganda.

josh_sugarmann-160.jpeg

Your Enemy

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

...and they don't even distinguish the difference between Murders and Deaths,
    or gun violence comparisons like said above about maybe better aim? lol

But oh be sure to mention something about lax gun laws .... what a sham and shame.

Dan Z tried to bring some logic to the discussion here

I'd like to know how the two Cities play into that statistic as well.

According to BusinessInsider.com
    Baton Rouge accounts for 29 murders per 100k &
    New Orleans accounts for 53 per 100k.

per 100k .... :eek3:

Dan is a voice of reason.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If anyone believe that gun laws can prevent suicides, then take a look at Japan. In Japan, a nation with a much smaller population than the US, over 30,000 people commit suicide each year. That is about the same as the United States.

If I had to put up with this everyday, I might self check out too! :eek4:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom