Louisiana National Guard Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    I have been thinking of a lot lately about the National Guard and was curious about other people's experiences with it. A little about myself first, I am prior service Navy, Master-at-arms 2nd class. I've been out the military since '08 and have kinda missed certain parts of it. The MOS that has caught my eye is 19D and I see the LA national guard has a cavalry squadron. Questions: I understand that 19D is OSUT so does that mean back to boot again? Is it still one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year? If so is the one weekend flexible throughout the month? (asking because I work shift work). How often are deployments? I wanted to test the waters before I take it to the next step and talk to a recruiter. Thanks for any info!

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    There are circumstances in which Split Training is allowed and it is not uncommon. To all out say it is NOT flexible is a bit misleading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Broke

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    I enjoyed my time in. There are options to split train but don't expect it to happen every few months. The summer AT is not flexible. You must attend some type of AT. I don't know anything about that cav unit but if you're in New Orleans and that unit is in Shreveport you're going to have issues. Make sure you find out where it is. And I've never heard of someone going from Navy to Army so you may end up going through basic again which isn't ideal.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Fun times just got off my AT I'm a paralegal but helped set up a giant tent (and we broke it again) also drove a humvee half way across the state with no AC I can still hear the road noise... Right now most of the guard is activated for the flooding rivers right now just not Aviation, unless you operate a dozer or drive a truck you won't be doing your MOS, but most units love their beer after AT!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    19D is Shreveport area, with one unit as far down as Natchitoches. As others have said, AT is fixed, monthly drill weekend is also fixed, although you may occasionally be allowed to split train. Problem is that someone would have to be there when you split, and they have usually already drilled on the original weekend. Don't count on being able to split.

If you were prior service navy you would probably have to attend basic again, but best to talk to a recruiter about it.

mgrgmr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    You won't have to attend basic. I was prior Navy and am now in the NG here in Louisiana. Just some more info. With drill dates, some units it is harder to split. What you do for split is you would come in during the week to do your days. This is usually done before the drill you want to split. Like others have said, depending on where you live, it might be harder to travel just for drill. Now, I don't know what aspects you are missing, but there are a ton of units that aren't really like active duty. They tend to be ate up so to speak. Infantry and Artillery units will go to the field more than others. This means when they drill they will go to Ft Polk, Camp Shelby, or others like them to train. Most other units will go once a year and some don't go to the field at all. Hope this helps you.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    I confirm what most have said here. Prior active duty USAF, joined LAARNG a few months after I separated from the AF. Drills have *some* flexibility, but chances are your AT is firm.

Top Bottom