Louisiana's concealed carry law is racist- where is the ACLU?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    I was at the State fair a few days ago and the thought occurred to me- the concealed carry law is discriminatory.
    The arguement is pretty simple.
    1. High-crime neighborhoods are always poor neighborhoods and generally minority neighborhoods.
    2. These are the places where you NEED to carry a firearm for personal protection.
    3. Most of the people living in these areas cannot afford the $200 to get the permit.
    The law effectively denies low-income, law-abiding people the ability to carry a gun. Isn't this the same logic that the libs use to prevent states from enacting voter ID laws? Dems don't want you to have to show an ID (which is free by the way) to vote, but it is ok to charge $200 for a CCW? Sort of reminds me of a Jim Crow law.

I am not saying that concealed carry shouldn't be allowed. I think anyone who can legally possess a gun should be able to carry it concealed. Truth be told, I would rather see a push toward open carry instead. I think it is much more of a deterent than concealed carry.

Just some post Vets Day thoughts.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Thanks for bringing that to the attention of the Government. Now that they know they will raise the fee from $200 to $250 and offer free permits to those "in need".

"Helping the helpless, one vote at a time."

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think the concealed handgun permit unit is making much of a profit. It takes time and resources to issue a permit. I am sure someone else could tell us their exact operating budget and their income from permits. The state shouldn't lose money from operating the permit unit. So if they need $100 per permit then that's the rate.

As far as the classes, I think some instructors do indeed make a nice monthly income from classes but they aren't living like kings. So I think the $100 most instructors charge is pretty fair.

Lastly, there are plenty of poor white people who can't afford a permit. It has nothing to do with race. To lots of younger college aged kids $200 means a lot to them.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I don't think people concealed carrying in low income areas are worried about the law... just sayin.

Since this can of worms is opened :noes:...............I wonder how many "low income discriminated perps" arrested with a handgun, have a CCW permit??:dunno:

Yuri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    In general having to pay for a Right seems... I don't know.. contrary to a free country. I understand having to pay for things but rights are something that belong to you because you ARE.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    In general having to pay for a Right seems... I don't know.. contrary to a free country. I understand having to pay for things but rights are something that belong to you because you ARE.

You don't have to pay to have the right to open carry. I personally understand the securities and concerns regarding concealed carry. I guess it comes down to priorities and personal beliefs in the end.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    So there's always the open carry option. However I am 62 years old and have been concealed carrying for just over 40 years. I got a permit a couple of years ago. Concealed means concealed.

gunslinger06

Never go to BR/NO
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    That's just what we need -- more thugs carrying in the hood.

That's the problem. ONLY the THUGS in the hood are carrying. If more law-abiding folks were carrying, there might be a few less thugs walking around with impunity.

I'm not arguing whether or not the system "as-is" charges too much. I'm just making the point that its the people who most need to carry who are hindered from doing so.

I really don't think the law is racist. I do agree with a previous poster that I shouldn't have to pay for a constitutional right. How long would it take for Sharpton or Jackson to find Louisiana if we charged $200 to vote?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom