Lower-end Lawn Mowers...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'm looking at spending $1000-$1500 on a riding mower. Looking for pretty basic. I only have around an acre to cut, but when I work 60-70 hour weeks outside all day, it's hard to get motivated to push the mower for 90 minutes through my rough, rutted yard when I get home. Anyways, I was pretty set on a Craftsman with a B&S motor and manual transmission, but I noticed a few John Deeres and Husqvarnas in the price range with hydrostatic teansmissions. I know they're not cheap to fix, but have the hydrostatic transmissions become any more robust in the past decade or so? Also, I noticed a few of the Craftsmans had "automatic" transmissions, which looked to be about like the manual, but with an electronic gear selector. How do those hold up?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I did look at that one, and may go that route, but the other models with floating decks and tighter turning radii were also catching my attention. For $1000, though, it looks hard to beat.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I also purchased a Craftsman 42" and it has been a great mower. I've had it about 15 years. Engine is still strong, it a Koehler. Deck was rusted out about 3 years ago and I had a lot to do with that as I didn't keep it free from grass and debris. From Barry J's post they have came down in price.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I worked in sales for a JD dealer years ago when the low end mower transitioned from being a "Sabre by JD" to the "L" series. They have changed the model names since then. These units are all about price point; they basically stay the same until the engine and transmission manufacturers raise the price for their components. Then JD goes looking for cheaper components. I don't recall any transmission problems at all.

For what they are, they are pretty good mowers plus they are backed by the JD dealers. Getting parts and service isn't a problem. Just don't expect it to last like my LX188 I bought in 1997:)

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    My old man has a JD one for about 8 or so years now with no motor or drive trouble. The deck bent when he hit something and it warped it so had to be replaced. Fuel line cracked just a week or so ago. Replaced both and runs great again. I've used it and love the reverse at the push of a pedal feature. Much easier than my old snapper. When my snapper dies (does that even happen? 15 years old), I'll probably get something similar.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Kind of funny, the old rear motor Snapper is what I had in mind when I started looking.

So what transmissions are on the ones mentioned? Can I expect at least 5 years out of a $1500 mower with a hydrostatic transmission? I'd say, with a 42" cut, probably 30-45 minutes of use per week in the months the grass grows, maybe pull a leaf sweeper two or three times a year, no serious use.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    We get at least 8-10 years out of our Craftsmans, and that's mowing my dad and grandpas 3 or 4 acres for a 6 or 8 years before they decide to upgrade and I inherit it for my 3/4 acre for the rest of it's life. The twin cylinders seem to last better than the singles

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Probably gonna buy at Lowes, looking at a Husqvarna and a Troy Bilt that I'm almost certain is built exactly the same as the Craftsman I was looking at. Thinking I'm gonna shell out the extra for a V-twin.

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    I picked up a used john deere from a dealership about 9 years ago and its still going strong. They have some good deals from time to time on used lawnmowers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom