LSU's Mike VI has been diagnosed with cancer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Spindle cell sarcoma to be exact.

LSU’s beloved live mascot Mike the Tiger has been diagnosed with a rare, inoperable and terminal form of cancer.

But his medical team estimates the 11-year-old, 420-pound big cat could live comfortably for one or two more years with an innovative form of therapy that is being planned for him in conjunction with Baton Rouge’s Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center. Without the treatment, it’s expected he would die within a couple months.

David Baker, Mike’s veterinarian, said Mike is not in pain and not exhibiting any signs of distress. But the tumor located on the right side of the tiger’s face, which was first noticed by an LSU vet student on May 1, is large enough that it is displacing his eye.

*This is a very serious, complex and life threatening condition,* Baker said at a Monday news conference. *I’d like to assure the LSU community we are taking this very seriously, and you have my promise that we’re doing all that we can to extend Mike’s life while maintaining his quality of life.*

On May 12, Mike was put under general anesthesia and given a computed tomography scan, commonly referred to as a CT scan, which identified the tumor. A biopsy of the tumor found that Mike has a spindle cell sarcoma, which Baker said could be the first ever diagnosis of the condition in a tiger. He said he knows of five other similar tumors that have been identified in tigers, but none were treated.

They will be treating him AT Mary Bird Perkins during non-office hours.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Hopefully he responds well to the radiation therapy. I was in the hospital when he was having his diagnostics performed last week. I was devastated to find out what his biopsy returned as. Unfortunately, he will eventually succumb to this disease.

A bigger discussion will soon be, will we ever have a Mike VII? I've heard discouraging things in terms of another Mike from several people who are VERY involved with the program. BTW these conversations were long before we even knew Mike VI had a condition.

We need to show our unwavering support of Mike VI, and support for those who make this program possible. The people in power must know we as a community support having Mike the tiger, even after Mike VI time passes.

Forever LSU

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Hopefully he responds well to the radiation therapy. I was in the hospital when he was having his diagnostics performed last week. I was devastated to find out what his biopsy returned as. Unfortunately, he will eventually succumb to this disease.

A bigger discussion will soon be, will we ever have a Mike VII? I've heard discouraging things in terms of another Mike from several people who are VERY involved with the program. BTW these conversations were long before we even knew Mike VI had a condition.

We need to show our unwavering support of Mike VI, and support for those who make this program possible. The people in power must know we as a community support having Mike the tiger, even after Mike VI time passes.

Forever LSU

Roger that, Before PITA goes stupid about a new Mike.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    From a life long Bama fan......I sure hope that Mike VI gets well.

I also hope that LSU does not let PITA call the shots on getting another new one if or when they need a new one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom