LSU's steps to being safer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I see one guy daily in his uniform. Brpd.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

See, you don't even have to call 911. I would agree that there should be police at every school in the nation. My son has one at his and it really goes along way in not worrying about his safety when I drop him off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    See, you don't even have to call 911. I would agree that there should be police at every school in the nation. My son has one at his and it really goes along way in not worrying about his safety when I drop him off.

His classes are too far away from mine to make a difference. And his radio is off when he's waking around, so he wouldn't have any clue what was going on. Unless someone came into his classroom, he'd be useless.

I don't see how just because that's what you do for a job should make a difference legally. Obviously it does, and I'm certainly not calling you out or saying it's your fault. I just think the laws are messed up and everyone should have the same rights to defend themselves irregardless of where they are. Every situation will be different and you certainly can't prepare for everything, but I think all should be able to at least try and not be limited helpless due to a law.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    His classes are too far away from mine to make a difference. And his radio is off when he's waking around, so he wouldn't have any clue what was going on. Unless someone came into his classroom, he'd be useless.

I don't see how just because that's what you do for a job should make a difference legally. Obviously it does, and I'm certainly not calling you out or saying it's your fault. I just think the laws are messed up and everyone should have the same rights to defend themselves irregardless of where they are. Every situation will be different and you certainly can't prepare for everything, but I think all should be able to at least try and not be limited helpless due to a law.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

Because this job comes with carrying a firearm, it's a big part of the job. There are many jobs where people can do things that others can not because of their jobs.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

And your first statement says a lot about knowledge of shootings. If someone were shooting Up a class on campus it wouldn't take long at all for everyone to know. And the officer is not sneaking in there and his coworkers are not oblivious to him going to college so his phone would be blowing up.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Why would we lose a RIGHT just because we are on college campus?

The same argument for lack of training would apply anywhere else people are carrying.
    Where are all the reports of armed citizens shooting bystanders at malls, in theaters, on the street, etc?

And I never said citizens would be randomly shooting people so maybe that wasn't directed at me

I didn't phrase the correctly.
    Where are the reports of bystanders being hit by stray bullets from citizens defending themselves?
    Does it happen? Yes, I'm sure it does, but is it a widespread problem?

In Oregon, if someone in the class would have had a gun, maybe there would only be 6 victims, or maybe 3, or maybe it would have been 12, we don't know. But heroic efforts by Chris Mintz could possible have stopped the shooter if the students were armed.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    would you want to have a weapon or another force multiplier to protect yourself?

Yes indeed

Is that Bloomberg's new slogan?

Having student [citizens] carry firearms on a campus in hopes they will stop an active shooter [threat] is a disaster waiting to happen.

Same argument the anti's use.

It does sound familiar doesn't it

"No guns for you, but I need one"

Same argument the Anti's use.

Yep

Why would we lose a RIGHT just because we are on college campus?

b/c the gov't says so apparently, and if you don't like it, just vote to change it and "hope" the majority agrees with you....cause you know, our Rights are subject to the majority and all

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I didn't phrase the correctly.
    Where are the reports of bystanders being hit by stray bullets from citizens defending themselves?
    Does it happen? Yes, I'm sure it does, but is it a widespread problem?

In Oregon, if someone in the class would have had a gun, maybe there would only be 6 victims, or maybe 3, or maybe it would have been 12, we don't know. But heroic efforts by Chris Mintz could possible have stopped the shooter if the students were armed.

Or you could have had 20 dead when the untrained hero started spraying and praying because he was trying to save his own skin. There is no correct answer and only opinions. I am of be opinion that adding guns to college campuses is a bad idea. Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong but apparently I'm not the only one hence the law.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And your first statement says a lot about knowledge of shootings. If someone were shooting Up a class on campus it wouldn't take long at all for everyone to know. And the officer is not sneaking in there and his coworkers are not oblivious to him going to college so his phone would be blowing up.

I think you misunderstood me a little bit. From where this guy's classes are, if there was a shooting on the other side of campus, he physically could not make it there before other officers in cars could and would. Even if he was somehow able to get there while the shooting was still happening, I can't see it being beneficial for him to run in by himself without backup at that point. My knowledge on police strategy and response training is minimal though so I won't say any more about that.

I am referring to benefits of someone in the room that the shooting is occurring in. If the same guy were in there, he could likely attempt to save himself and others if possible. It might be more feasible to hide or try to escape, but the option is still there. It shouldn't matter if the guy has a badge or not though in my opinion. Everyone should be entitled to defend themselves, if possible.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Because this job comes with carrying a firearm, it's a big part of the job. There are many jobs where people can do things that others can not because of their jobs.

But generally speaking those other things do not prevent them from being able to defend themselves in everyday life situations, such as going to school.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Or you could have had 20 dead when the untrained hero started spraying and praying because he was trying to save his own skin.

As if saving your own skin is, what, selfish? A bad thing? good grief.

All this fear-mongering is what keeps our Rights infringed upon. but but but WHAT IF it would have been worse? Well, WHAT IF it would have been MUCH better?

If you are too scared of freedom, then move to North Korea

There is no correct answer and only opinions.

I would think the correct answer is to keep our Rights intact and apply them to all scenarios appropriately.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    But generally speaking those other things do not prevent them from being able to defend themselves in everyday life situations, such as going to school.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

It all boils down the old saying "If you don't like it, don't do it." However, at what point are we allowed to change the parts we don't like?

I never foresee concealed carry getting legalized on school property in Louisiana. We have far too many lefts voting against it, and far too many rights that don't trust the common man with a CHP.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

I think it would be a lot safer and would be received better if everyone petitioned for officers in classrooms or at schools. If the true goal is safety then I would start with the quickest and easiest method to become safer, then go for personal preference. I have kids in grade school and college and would be behind it 100%.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    As if saving your own skin is, what, selfish? A bad thing? good grief.

All this fear-mongering is what keeps our Rights infringed upon. but but but WHAT IF it would have been worse? Well, WHAT IF it would have been MUCH better?

If you are too scared of freedom, then move to North Korea

I would think the correct answer is to keep our Rights intact and apply them to all scenarios appropriately.

North Korea? Seriously, most of you can't have a decent discussion without going to extremes and I am suppose to want you to go armed in a campus full of students. Some of you are hurting your own cause and are too blind to see it.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Or you could have had 20 dead when the untrained hero started spraying and praying because he was trying to save his own skin. There is no correct answer and only opinions. I am of be opinion that adding guns to college campuses is a bad idea. Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong but apparently I'm not the only one hence the law.

But you fail to see that your argument for no gun on campus is the same argument the left uses against concealed carry or guns carried by anyone except the police.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    But you fail to see that your argument for no gun on campus is the same argument the left uses against concealed carry or guns carried by anyone except the police.

Ok. I guess you have me there. I am stating my opinion just as you are stating yours.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think it would be a lot safer and would be received better if everyone petitioned for officers in classrooms or at schools. If the true goal is safety then I would start with the quickest and easiest method to become safer, then go for personal preference. I have kids in grade school and college and would be behind it 100%.

While I agree. I would prefer officers in classrooms and be allowed to carry.

There are too many people with a CHP that think they can fight there way out, when should potentially be worried about E&E.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Ok. I guess you have me there. I am stating my opinion just as you are stating yours.

So your opinion is that college carry is a "bad" idea....BUT, would you VOTE to carry out your opinion on others on this matter?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

And I would be okay with that as well. I'd prefer for both, but if that's the only legally viable option that suits both sides, I'd rather safety for all. I don't think schools can afford to have an officer or security guard (who are jokes in themselves usually) in every classroom though. But if so, that's be great. If not, let people be able to protect themselves if there is no other option available.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    While I agree. I would prefer officers in classrooms and be allowed to carry.

There are too many people with a CHP that think they can fight there way out, when should potentially be worried about E&E.

I see what you are saying but just think it's way to easy for a tragedy to take place if an active shooting started and everyone started pulling guns.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So your opinion is that college carry is a "bad" idea....BUT, would you VOTE to carry out your opinion on others on this matter?

Not really sure what you are asking but if it's referring to the law in place now, I obviously think it's the right thing at this moment. There would have to be a lot of tweaking for me to agree with anything different.

Top Bottom