M&P 9 Shield -- Comprehensive Review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    YAH unless the bird dont fly then im stuck till friday

Let me know when you get the Shield...

I'm thinking I want to get one myself but I want to actually put my hands on one first...

Weather should be good for flying tommorow...at least it's supposed to be in Houma area anyway...

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Its good to hear it shoots so well. The sheild looks very concealable but the best i got to do was dry fire it a couple time side by side a M&P 9 and the trigger was better. Like i said in the other thread i don't carry, but this gun feels really good and its at a very nice price point. Hearing its so much fun to shoot at the range makes me want to get one just to have for fun.

If you were at your usual haunt yesterday, this is the exact gun you dry fired. ;)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I'm super-interested to hear how you do with this thing, given that information!

I can say one thing for sure-- you won't have any aversion to training with this thing. It is remarkably pleasant to shoot, especially when one considers the size and weight.

Just watch those delicate hands when you're doing mag changes at speed! :p

Yeah buddy something similar happen to me with the "extensions" for the M&P full size mags, it allows to run them in the compact and gives your the plastic section that is missing on the lower of the frame so that it blends IN and gives you extra grip surface, it feels GREAT until you have to do a mag change the little fat karate chop section got the mag stuck every single time and I was forced to karate chop the wind just to make them fall free.

Needless to say i threw the POS plastic extensions away and have been running full size mags without them.

The smaller sight radius REALLY messes me up when switching to the compact since it required more from me as a shooter to ensure a good hit, I could get away with a lot more with front sight only focus on the Full Size as I could on the compact, so Im sure this little baby is going to kick me in the pelotas just to make it run BUT I think she will be a good addition to the M&P Family.

The safety is the same as on my BodyGuard 380, I can honestly say I have NEVER used it since I bough it and I tend to even forget she is there. Its completely out of the way hiden into the frame so there is no possible way to engage it without sticking your finger well on it.

Either way I appreciate you taking the time to write this up, it gives me a little more hope that she wont be a lemon

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Awwww...I always wanted to be a local stippling artist! :D

Nice write-up, looks like a hell of a little gun.

You could be global... :bowdown:

This thing'll be easy to work on. Same plastic, same lines, same everything. I dare say it's comparably as thick, in terms of the actual plastic that makes up the grip.

I just realized something, looking at it... Since there's no interchangeable backstraps and the take down/retaining tool is absent, this thing has a "drainage channel" like on a Glock. Sevigny Speedway possibilities...? You'll have to use your expert eye and see what you think. (Not that I'd make you do one... Probably...)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You could be global... :bowdown:

This thing'll be easy to work on. Same plastic, same lines, same everything. I dare say it's comparably as thick, in terms of the actual plastic that makes up the grip.

I just realized something, looking at it... Since there's no interchangeable backstraps and the take down/retaining tool is absent, this thing has a "drainage channel" like on a Glock. Sevigny Speedway possibilities...? You'll have to use your expert eye and see what you think. (Not that I'd make you do one... Probably...)

I don't know about Sevigny, but I can certainly do ya a SpeedRacer Speedway. :)

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Bo,

Please bring it to Amite on Sunday so I can check it out.

My concerns are mag capacity and size. The 9c is my primary EDC. I like the 17 rd mags in my 9c (I don't have issues with the X-Grips as Guate seems to) for at least my second mag and usually my first as well. I also don't have concealment issues with a FS mag most of the time.

When I need deeper concealment and go to the PM9 I carry 2 spare 7 rd mags. I'm concerned that the Shield won't fit in a pocket the way the PM9 does and the PM9 is what it would replace, not the 9c.

A note for Guate - I have a Deltapoint on my 9c which takes the sight radius out of the equation.

George

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Bo,

Please bring it to Amite on Sunday so I can check it out.

My concerns are mag capacity and size. The 9c is my primary EDC. I like the 17 rd mags in my 9c (I don't have issues with the X-Grips as Guate seems to) for at least my second mag and usually my first as well. I also don't have concealment issues with a FS mag most of the time.

When I need deeper concealment and go to the PM9 I carry 2 spare 7 rd mags. I'm concerned that the Shield won't fit in a pocket the way the PM9 does and the PM9 is what it would replace, not the 9c.

A note for Guate - I have a Deltapoint on my 9c which takes the sight radius out of the equation.

George

It will be there for sure! A couple of people wanna take a peak at one in person that day.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Sin-ster ,
    your Review is right on the money.
    I picked up mine yesterday and was shooting it 20 minutes later. [ Stopped by Bass Pro on the way home, so no rapid fire or other exercises ]
    Put ~ 200 rounds through it and I Love it.
    The slightly larger size makes for a very controllable and still somewhat compact weapon.
    No I dont have a holster for it, that comes next. I am totally confident concealment wont be an issue

I ran a box of 124 +P HST's through it, and that is what sealed the deal for me.
    Again, very controllable and comfortable and I now call it my new favorite gun.

Jason @ Pelican [ jasonj5313 ] has some coming in if you guys want to get on his list...............

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    It's not a far drive from Houma to Bayou Vista...Southland Police Supply has it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If he would have been available during the day Thursday when I got in from offshore, he wouldn't have one left right now...;)

Unfortunately, it's just a bit far for me to drive back down there on my time off though and I haven't had any luck finding any locally here either (Lake Charles/Lafayette area) :(

tokendog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Houma, LA
    If I had known that this morning I would have made the trip... I have a g26 and a g30 but my wife wants the g26 so I need to find a replacement. The Shield looks like it fits the bill.

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    I have a 40c and dont have any problems carrying it...switch between it and my g23...Like the shield but just cant justify getting one.

Globallyoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I had a chance to get out to the range today to shoot my Shield. I ran 4 different brands of ammo thru it for a total of about 100 rounds. I used Monarch 115, Winchester white box 115, PMC 115, and Federal 124 HST. No stoppages of any kind. Accuracy is very good. Fit and finish is excellent. My trigger is good out of the box and getting better. I did tend to print a bit to the left at first. (the grips are thin). By the end of about 100 rounds, my groups were getting very good.

I was also shooting a Gen 3 mod 19 Glock. Its a bit easier to shoot, but bigger. When it was new it tended to eject brass up into my hat or face. Im happy to say that is gone. Maybe it needed to be broken in as well. It also didnt stop at all.

The Shield is a winner, especially at this price point.

tokendog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Houma, LA
    Considering Southland Police Supply will probably sell it before I can get to that store, what is the usual restocking time on guns like this? Any one have any ideas before it becomes reasonably easy to just walk in and purchase one without having to wait for the demand to die down?

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    Just pm David, he is a member here and if you can go within a few days he will hold it for you...really good guy and easy to work with..I work in Houma..live in pierre part and buy from him exclusively..

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom