M&P 9c or Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I figure they're virtually the same for my purposes, but I plan on getting a Shield a little bit later down the line. I've handled both and both felt good in my newbie hands. This gun will be my workhorse, I plan on putting a few thousand down range this year and doing a few training classes with it, truck gun, and eventually CC. I was leaning towards the Glock, but is there any reason to go with the M&P just because they're (9c and Shield) from the same line if they don't share mags or any other parts?

bsoileau24

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Around ville platte
    You will end up with half the answers saying glock and the ither half saying m&p. i think the best way for you to make your decision is to go to a range rent both and then see which one you like best. They are both solid weapons and a good choice either way. Oh i say glock 19

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    You will end up with half the answers saying glock and the ither half saying m&p. i think the best way for you to make your decision is to go to a range rent both and then see which one you like best. They are both solid weapons and a good choice either way. Oh i say glock 19

Yeah, I figured as much, I was just wondering if there were differences in function, ergo, triggers, etc. that were big enough to make going between the 19 and Shield awkward, I know I've heard a lot of people complain about Glock's grip angle, something I haven't had a problem with. As I said, the Glock is what I've been pretty much set on, but I think once I get the Shield, it'll probably be my EDC.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

+1, including the Glock.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    The triggers are different enough to give me fits going back and forth between them. It is much easier for me to train with one trigger system.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    They're not the same size, for one. Glock 19 is a little bigger. I'd compare the 9c to a Glock 26. Either way, IMO it makes sense to train on one platform, one trigger press, one grip angle, one sighting system... so I stick with the same manufacturer. I think Glock 19's hit the sweet spot, though.

Here's to hoping Glock hurries up and puts out a single-stack 9mm.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    It's not a question of quality here, it's a question of what your hands prefer.

My hands favor the M&P's over Golcks, but I own both.

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I like the M&P9 and M&P9c but I sell more Glock 19's. I sell more Shields than any other pistol (well unless we start counting AR pistols). Usually an M&P will be cheaper, and if it is not, you are shopping at the wrong place or you qualify for blue label guns...

I will say one thing I have observed. Guys that buy Glocks just come into the store and say I want the Glock XX, guys that buy M&P's usually try a few different pistols then pick one. That is just a small sample size over a short 3 months. I have only had one woman come in and say "I want that gun" and it was a purple Ruger she had been looking for.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I came in a few weeks ago and played with a 19 and a few M&Ps. I liked the Glock more, but to me, it wasn't a big difference. Guess I need to go shoot them. And yeah, hope Glock brings out a single stack 9 soon. I guess nothing wrong with learning to handle different guns though. My S&W 10 is still one of my favorites to hold and shoot, I'm sure I'll carry it occasionally as well.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I have both G19 and a shield.

Going back and forth is no problem. I do shoot better with the shield for some reason.
    I would try the 9c, but I have 2 gen4 19's set up they way I like and all the holsters and mags.... don't wanna change that unless I have to

I say rent them both and let that experience be the deciding factor.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I hate to high jack the thread, but I think this is a relevant question pertaining to the OP...... Which one out of the M&P9c and the Shield would y'all suggest as an EDC? I'm used to carrying my M&P9, but would like something a little bit easier to conceal.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    The triggers are different enough to give me fits going back and forth between them. It is much easier for me to train with one trigger system.

I'd stick with what WOLFIE said. If you have a m&p already stick with that and stay with m&p platform.

I think I would be more comfortable with a familiar platform then something that feels different/any other differences between the two like the trigger..

Last edited:

sph1480

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Destrehan, La
    I'm sure you will like either one you buy. I personally don't like the factory triggers on either. I did install an apex kit on my 9c and plan on putting one in the shield soon.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    If you plan on getting a Shield, then why buy a M&P 9C? Just seems kind of redundant...why not buy the full-size M&P instead if you want a "workhorse"? I went the route of a Glock 26 for carry and a Glock 17 for my "workhorse" range/home defense handgun. I stuck with Glock for both to maintain consistency.

The only right answer to your question is which one fits YOU the best and which one do YOU shoot the best. What works for the rest of us might not work for you.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I own all three, the g19, m&p9c and shield, and they are all great guns. All three have aftermarket parts, apex for the m&p's and a 3.5# disconnect for the g19. They are all good guns and size wise I like the 9c for carry. About the same length as the 19 but shorter grip, overall bigger than a 26. You get 3 less rounds in the 9c, but 12+1 isn't bad... With the apex kit it makes shooting the 9c a totally different experience. It's that much better.... But between g19 and 9c you can't go wrong.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

This, plus the Glock. I love mine.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    If you plan on getting a Shield, then why buy a M&P 9C? Just seems kind of redundant...why not buy the full-size M&P instead if you want a "workhorse"?

I have a full-size Beretta already, I don't have much use for it beyond the nightstand. I want something to get a lot of practice in on comfortably and still be able to carry, so a compact seems to fit the bill. Getting the Shield would be to have something a little smaller and thinner that would conceal easier and more comfortably.

I'm not asking for a comparison or which one you like best, I can find those all day and at the end of the day, they're pretty much the same functionally. I was just wondering as a newer shooter if the differences between Glock and M&P would make it difficult to go back and forth between them. Probably just going to get the 19 and not worry about it. I'm sure I was over thinking that aspect.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I hate to high jack the thread, but I think this is a relevant question pertaining to the OP...... Which one out of the M&P9c and the Shield would y'all suggest as an EDC? I'm used to carrying my M&P9, but would like something a little bit easier to conceal.

Loving my Shield, lighter slimmer... Better trigger than a stock 9c. Hands down winner for me. YMMV.

To the OP, take both guns, close your eyes and 'aim' them. When you open your eyes, buy the one that has the sights more or less aligned up and down. Or, just get the one you like better.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom