m1 garands to be imported from korea

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    Yet CMP has been selling Garands and Carbines that come from "partner" countries for how long...? Gotta love politics!

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    I strongly suspect the rifles will be mostly worn out junk and the mentioned $220 price is likely what the Korean Government will ask from the importers -- NOT the retail price here in the U.S..

The best deal for M1 rifles will likely continue to be through the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

My opinion. We'll see what happens down the road.

Distinguished Rifleman #1352

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I wish they would all get funneled through CMP so they can go through them, make sure they are in working order and then grade them for sale. Who knows what you'll get otherwise.

baboonie

Now THAT'S a gunsight!
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Arizona
    I strongly suspect the rifles will be mostly worn out junk and the mentioned $220 price is likely what the Korean Government will ask from the importers -- NOT the retail price here in the U.S..

The best deal for M1 rifles will likely continue to be through the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

My opinion. We'll see what happens down the road.

+1

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I just got this from CMP this morning in my email:

GARANDS FROM KOREA: Once again our phone lines and email boxes are flooded with requests for information on the purchase of M1 Garands from Korea. The Korea Times reported last week that the U.S. Government had approved Korea's request to sell 86,000 M1 Garands to U.S. importers. CMP is not a firearms importer and if these rifles are sold to U.S. importers, they will not come to the CMP or be sold by the CMP. We will not have any information on the sale of these rifles.

So, don't expect get any from CMP. I look for them to be sold at inflated prices.

Al

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    The United States both loaned and sold M1's to Korea. The LOANED rifles remain U.S property. LOANED rifles returned to the U.S. from Greece and other countries are what the CMP markets. Unfortunately there are no serial number lists of what Korea purchased and what was loaned. Korea claims ALL the rifles we loaned them were worn out and destroyed. The only rifles remaining are the ones they purchased and therefore those rifles are their property and they can sell them to whomever they want. No U.S. property loaned rifles alledgedly remain to be returned to the U.S. and then to the CMP.
    Yeah right. This is why I say the "greedy" Koreans.
    Let the comments begin.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    An email from the CMP last week said the Korean Garands will not go to the CMP because the CMP is not an Importer. These will come through companies like Century. I have seen Garands for sale through retailers for about $700. I think going through the CMP for garands is safer although I have received M1's from them that were inoperative.

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    BTW, last March I took the course at CMP, Anniston to be certified as a GSM Master Instructor. The course was given by Gary Anderson the former Director of Civilian Marksmanship. He was questioned about the Korean rifles and the story as I repeated it is what Mr. Anderson told us. I have no reason to doubt Mr. Anderson.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom