M1 & Vintage miltary bolt action match @ Burns Range, Bouge Chitto MS 04/11/09

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoMallard

'03 guru
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    Ahemm....I believe that 86th is my true ranking!!! Now we just have to all work on getting on the "other" list, highly populated by folks from Columbus, GA.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    At the risk of being slightly off topic, but I'm going to the CMP South store to pick up my forst M1 and a couple tins of 30.06 tomorrow. Should be fun, I'm stoked.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Not a bad showing considering that something in the neighborhood of 1500 competitors shoot at the Nationals alone. I don't have an estimate of the number of competitors shoot these matches nationally, but I am sure it is many thousands. 4 locals in the top 100 is pretty good.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Not a bad showing considering that something in the neighborhood of 1500 competitors shoot at the Nationals alone. I don't have an estimate of the number of competitors shoot these matches nationally, but I am sure it is many thousands. 4 locals in the top 100 is pretty good.

It would be a lot better if Mr. Hunt could learn to shoot a Garand. :mamoru:

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    It would be a lot better if Mr. Hunt could learn to shoot a Garand. :mamoru:

Garand? I don't need no stinking Garand! I can sure make that 03 sing! :D

I finished 22nd overall in the National Springfield Match the first year it was held at Perry. I consistently win Gold or Silver with it.

The 03 is a light, beautiful feather in my hands, whereas the Garand is a fence post. Plus, hell, even a one armed man could shoot a Garand if he had to, but he'd only get one round off in the 03.

Doug Bowser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    McComb, MS
    after action report

We had 12 shooters fire the M1 Garand Match and 10 shooters fire the Vintage Bolt Action Military Rifle Match.

The weather was perfect and it was good to see that many of the older rifles at the range.

Doug Bowser

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I would like to come to the next one. By then I should have my Garand from CMP(hopefully only another month wait on CMP). I also have a Mossin 91/30. My father-in-law is SUPPOSED to send me his M1 Carbine also.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Garand? I don't need no stinking Garand! I can sure make that 03 sing! :D

I finished 22nd overall in the National Springfield Match the first year it was held at Perry. I consistently win Gold or Silver with it.

The 03 is a light, beautiful feather in my hands, whereas the Garand is a fence post. Plus, hell, even a one armed man could shoot a Garand if he had to, but he'd only get one round off in the 03.

22nd huh? Where was it that I finished in the 2007 National Vintage Military Rifle Match with that K-31? Shooting a 1903 is like wrestling an alligator - all that twisting trying to get the shell out. A K-31 is a work of art by comparison. And that GP-11 ammo is the finest ball ever made. :D

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    22nd huh? Where was it that I finished in the 2007 National Vintage Military Rifle Match with that K-31? Shooting a 1903 is like wrestling an alligator - all that twisting trying to get the shell out. A K-31 is a work of art by comparison. And that GP-11 ammo is the finest ball ever made. :D

Okay, okay. I admit. You definitley are loved by the K-31. BUT, it takes a real man to shoot the 03. Especially with that crappy ammo the CMP has issued since they ran out of LC Ball. I long for the days when you didn't need a hammer to get the spent cases out of the Springfield.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Your prayers are answered. Hornady is making ammo for the National Games Matches this year. I am willing to bet it has more consistent pressure than the HXP. Should be pretty accurate too.

Speaking of the Hornady ammo, I wonder if they are doing this because they are running out of HXP. Remember a couple of years ago they were saying there was a 10 year supply? How things change.

jdhunt3

The LeatherMeister!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    The couple of years they used the white box ammo was fantastic (actually, the first year it was too hot). CMP said the white box ammo was too expensive, but I guess in light of the shortage we are now experiencing, something has to be done. I guess the "10-year supply" was as long as we had a government that actually liked the Bill of Rights instead of the current government we have that thinks that it should best be used as toilet paper.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I still have an unopened case of the Federal to which you are referring. I guess I am saving it for a rainy day although I think I have several lifetimes of .30-06 at my current rate of usage. I am not even going to buy any more HXP even though it is available and relatively inexpensive. It is pretty accurate too (albeit hot) - Bob J. used it in his .30-06 Ackley Improved to shoot a 197 at 300 yards on a 600 yard reduced for 300 yard target a few months ago.

Top Bottom