Machinist metal working questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Brief backstory. An older retired family friend, who had a radiator repair/welding/sandblasting/just about everything else shop has a couple older lathes. I am very grateful for him teaching me how to run them and do basic cuts, turning shafts down and cutting bushings ect.

I've worked with him on a couple occasions and would like to buy a pretty good set of cutting tools. It seems as though as Harbor Freight had clouded his judgment in the past years about buying things of questionable quality. He has some cutting tools that are high speed steel that have to be sharpened fairly often when working with hard steel and some with replaceable carbide tips that cut well but chip, get loose and are a pain to change with a tiny torx screw and Harbor freight torx wrenches.

So what's out there for good cutting tools?
    I'm looking to cut OD ID and a Cutoff tool. I don't see threading or much else in the near future.
    Also he does not generally run cooling oil which I assume I'd detrimental to any cutting edge.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I buy carbide cutting bits from Rex Supply, or ENCO. Not expensive at all. Maybe 4-8 dollars each. They are good for general stuff we do here in the shop.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    You can order online from McMaster-Carr. Cutting fluid definately helps tool life, keeps heat down and produces a better finish. I use mostly high speed steel tooling and sharpen them or brazed carbide tools.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Are these older, slow speed machines ? If so they may not spin fast enough for carbide, which is why your chipping the inserts. Run carbide about truce the speed of hss. Also many carbide inserts have negative rake, for surface finish and more usable cutting edges but requires a very tight and rigid machine . The do make positive rake carbide which can turn fine on looser manual machines.
    Idvlook for tools that use ccmt and dcmt inserts. As far a a cutoff tool, take your pick.

Check out latheinserts.com , he sells " hobbyist tooling" packages of various sizes with positive rake, and has good prices.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Akajun pretty much hit it.

I order from McMaster-Carr and use carbide tooling with no rake and made an oiling system for my old lathe.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Yes this is a very old 4 speed belt drive lathe that I would consider loose. Could be WWII era could be slightly newer.

Top Bottom