mag question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I am thinking about buying an STI ranger ...

No I didnt make a post to tell you that.. :D

My problem is ... It only comes with one mag.. I looked around but to no avail.. wondering if anyone knows a good source for mags for this ..

Or a standard 1911 mag with some kind of spacer so that it will fit...

I really like this gun but I am not going to buy it unless I know where to get mags..
    any help will be appreciated...

Muchos gracias senores...

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Do a search for the Detonics Combat Master, i believe any mag made for it will work with the Ranger.

ALSO; STI has them listed on their website, $27 a piece. EDIT: there's no way to purchase them.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Technically any mag will work, it will just hang out past the grip. It looks like the grip is just a tiny bit shorter than my Wilson Sentinel, but the Sentinel mags may be a good option. They are 6-rounders as well, and you get Wilson quality.

Or if it's for CC...just carry it with the factory mag for concealability and use a fullsize or officer's size spare. If you get to the point of needing to reload in a situation, you won't mind that the mag hangs out half an inch. ;)

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I do have CCW..

I just found a good option.. I found this.. http://www.precisionsights.com/magazinesadaptors.htm

Its an adapter that lets you use fullsize (8 round) mag in commander size 1911's should work out good (I hope.)

I have so many 1911 mags its not funny.. So I will order a few of them to try.. If they dont work I will do exactly as you say and use one of my Wilson combat 8 rounders as a backup and factory 6 round to carry...

thanks for the help ... hope its still there in the morning.. Im going to buy it...:D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a s&w 469 (12 shot 9mm). Mags for the 459 are cheaper and more common (15 round mags). When this was my full time carry gun I used to keep a 12 round in the gun but all my backups were 15 round mags. You get used to the gap quickly and 3 more rounds is always good.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I do have CCW..

I just found a good option.. I found this.. http://www.precisionsights.com/magazinesadaptors.htm

Its an adapter that lets you use fullsize (8 round) mag in commander size 1911's should work out good (I hope.)
    I think it will still not fit right. The Ranger's frame is chopped even shorter than an Officer's model, so you'd still have a gap between the grip and the adapter. My lil' Wilson is about .25" shorter than an Officer frame, and the Ranger looks even a tad shorter than that.

Either way, you know the Ranger would be a great carry piece. I'd say go for it and worry about mags later. I have several extra mags for my Sentinel, I'd be willing to let you try one out before you buy any.

Top Bottom