magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Two spare magazines. You never know if the magazine in the firearm might cause a double feed. If that happens, that malfunction is cleared and fresh magazine is needed. If the magazine is good to go, you have 45 + 1 rounds. Always set yourself up for success.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Some just carry a .45 with 7 rounds and no extra rounds because they think a .45 will react like the pistols do in the movies and blow the attacker over an automobile. :)

To those with such bravado, see the interviews with Officer Kenneth Hammond who engaged the Trolley Square Mall killer while off-duty, carrying his favorite Kimber LIGHT with only six rounds to "save the wear and tear on the magazine spring." He vowed to never go without extra ammo after that. Disclaimer: He also got convicted of a sexual offense involving a 17 year old girl after that, but that's apples to oranges.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Does the capacity of your carry weapon dictate your spare mag count? If you went from a G19 to a Nano due to whatever reason for a day or two, or even due to seasonal wardrobe changes, would you carry 2 spare nano mags versus the 1 spare glock mag or do you prefer just 1 spare mag?

I'm curious to know what others do when the carry piece changes.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Does the capacity of your carry weapon dictate your spare mag count? If you went from a G19 to a Nano due to whatever reason for a day or two, or even due to seasonal wardrobe changes, would you carry 2 spare nano mags versus the 1 spare glock mag or do you prefer just 1 spare mag?

I'm curious to know what others do when the carry piece changes.

Yes, not just to have more beans available, but also the simple fact that it's so much easier to conceal them. It's a challenge for me to conceal more than one Glock mag, but when I carried an LCP I could easily carry 2 or 3 spare mags so I did.

In other words, the weapon and number of spare mags should only be limited by your ability to comfortably carry/conceal them.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Many carry 1 spare and a few carry 2 spares, normally the 17 round version. It will probably be a real fire fight with multiple attackers if you have to reload but you need to be prepared.
    Some just carry a .45 with 7 rounds and no extra rounds because they think a .45 will react like the pistols do in the movies and blow the attacker over an automobile. :)

Running out of ammo not the reason I carry extra mag, weapon or mag malfunction is

Walter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Nice. Do you have something that conceals it completely? Do they make IWB's with mag holders?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Running out of ammo not the reason I carry extra mag, weapon or mag malfunction is
    My reason is both.

Violent Crimes stats state that 50% of the time there is "more than 1" attacker. That could be 2, 3, or 33. Simply "more than one" is as specific as any instructor or writer has ever cited, that I've seen. Given the average number of shots fired in a single-attacker gun fight, extrapolated over a "reasonable expectation" of attackers, the round count climbs fast. Add to the fact that all I can carry with me every day is a pistol which shoots weak little panzy holes with lower power than a rifle round I bet I'd be wishing I had - all making me have to dump lead into a guy until he stops trying to mess up my life or leave my kid fatherless, and I am left with a reasonable desire for increased number of rounds.

I fully expect the extra mag to be needed for mess-ups by me, the ammo, or the gun, to be more probable, but I find the probability of /needing/ bullets beyond the 12+1 in the gun as being reasonable enough to account for.

ReSpEcT

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Nothing special 99% of the time its the Shield .40 with extended mag (7rds+1) and of course the short mag for back up (6rds). I feel confident with mine as I train with it on a regular basis. If i cant get the job done in 13 or less rounds. I'll go ahead and use the 14th round on myself.

I prefer the comfort of my Shield 12+hrs a day versus wearing my Block for 6hrs a day. IMO, i'll use the comfort of my SHield 100x's more than I i'll use the higer capacity mag of my Block.........And if there ever is a day where the high capacity is needed (see the last sentence of the above paragraph).

And if high capacity is a major concern. How come u dont see all the guys running around carrying their 33rd mags in their Blocks? I mean if capacity is the concern, who cares about comfort or weapon printing.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    And if high capacity is a major concern. How come u dont see all the guys running around carrying their 33rd mags in their Blocks? I mean if capacity is the concern, who cares about comfort or weapon printing.
    Because two 17 round mags are easier to conceal in a back pocket than one 33 round mag?

Because concealment is never /not/ an issue for most.

Because, duh, basically.

ReSpEcT

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Actually 33rd conceals as easy as any weapon IWB. So why not just carry 1 33rd backup instead of 2 17rd backups. But once again, if capacity is a huge concern why dont you just carry about 6 or 7 of those 17rd mags. Why not 8 or 10 of those mags. Of course they conceal easy. But the question is where to you personally draw the line considering what you believe is enough ammo for you. One person could tell you 10 is enough and another could tell you that 100 is enough. But who are we to tell the other what they should be more comfortable with. Some are comfortable with 17 and others are comfortable with just a 6 shot snub nose. The answer will always be. What do YOU feel is ENOUGH.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Actually 33rd conceals as easy as any weapon IWB. So why not just carry 1 33rd backup instead of 2 17rd backups. But once again, if capacity is a huge concern why dont you just carry about 6 or 7 of those 17rd mags. Why not 8 or 10 of those mags. Of course they conceal easy. But the question is where to you personally draw the line considering what you believe is enough ammo for you. One person could tell you 10 is enough and another could tell you that 100 is enough. But who are we to tell the other what they should be more comfortable with. Some are comfortable with 17 and others are comfortable with just a 6 shot snub nose. The answer will always be. What do YOU feel is ENOUGH.
    If you're too stupid to understand how compromises and decisions based on pros/cons work, then I have no idea how I'm supposed to explain reasoning to a person incapable of reason.

If you can find a way to conceal 33round mags with a tucked in shirt, "Just as easy as any weapon" I'm very interested to see how you think that's practically possible.

ReSpEcT

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Once again i'll express the answer is pretty simple. It depends on what YOU feel is ENOUGH. It doesnt matter what the rest of us think is or isnt enough. Most people think a 9mm is perfect for CC, and others think the .45 is perfect for CC. But which one is right and which is wrong? This has been argued about time and time again. And still no one has come up with a solid answer that can't be conflicted. There is no correct answer that better suits every ones personal opinion.

Can't never could until tried came along.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    1 extra mag and Check you gear including your magazines periodically. Keep the lint and dust/dirt and rust off.

dsb45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Monroe, La.
    XDs with a 7 rd mag, a spare 7 rd mag, a flashlight & a pocket knife (usually my Benchmade AFCK). And I agree with SGT Kramer, gear must be checked and maintained daily. I'm only betting my family's and my life on it. If the space shuttle can turn into a bottle rocket, a pistol can screw up.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    ReSpEcT;1161991It depends on what YOU feel is ENOUGH.[/QUOTE said:
    There is black and white on the issue, but plenty of grey, yes, I never argued that. I just couldn't understand why you were arguing with my own choice. To throw your asinine suggestions to modify my own loadout my way, the intolerance only seems to come from your side - which is why I was confused.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I would stay away from Fobus products. You probably spent a lot for your gun. Why get the cheapest kydex holster in the world?

I carry two extra mags on my waist opposite from my gun. It helps balance out the weight of the pistol on your hip.

I carry everywhere. I have several expensive leather and hybrid holsters but the cheap Fobus is my favorite and I use it 75% of the time. Price is not the only way to judge a product.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I would usually feel about right with 2-or a second gun. Sometimes 3 if my mini revolver feels like riding along.

Top Bottom