Man arrested for carrying at Lafayette Walmart

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    so he was arrested for a legal act, then kept in jail for allegedly having been in possession of an illegal gun?

If the gun was illegal, he's a complete moron for open carrying it.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    you just know they gonna run him through every database out there for the slightest infraction.

Did not brandish it. Arrested for a stolen weapon... Interesting turn of events. Maybe alot more to the story.

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    so he was arrested for a legal act, then kept in jail for allegedly having been in possession of an illegal gun?

If the gun was illegal, he's a complete moron for open carrying it.

Exactly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    A man is in the Lafayette jail after he allegedly brought a pistol into the discount store.
    Witnesses at the Ambassador Caffery Wal-Mart say
    the suspect carried a .45-caliber weapon into the store.
    Witnesses say when police arrived, they found an
    AK-47, a .22-caliber gun, another rifle, and a large amount of ammunition
    in his car
    Witnesses say the suspect did not brandish the gun at customers.

Witnesses say police on scene arrested the suspect for having a stolen gun.
    Lafayette police have not confirmed the arrest or what charges the suspect is facing.

yep...nothing wierd going on there... :dunno:

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Wonder why they didn't clarify in in the article that open-carry in/of itself is legal in LA? :)

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    How'd they know it was stolen is the question? If they had no PC to detain him, how would they know it was stolen?

All it would take is a complaint from the manager, or the person being a real as swipe to get him detained and his weapon run.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    How'd they know it was stolen is the question? If they had no PC to detain him, how would they know it was stolen?

PC is needed to arrest.
    Reasonable suspicion is needed for the stop.

If you're going to spout off legal terms, you should attempt to know what you're talking about.

Another thing, a press release isn't a police report.

You legal scholars should wait until more information is released before allowing the usual witch hunt to begin.

If and when we receive more information about this incident, I will give my opinion.

Let me know if I missed something.

JR1572

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I live in town and frequent that Wal Mart semi-often. It's not unusual for me to have multiple firearms and yes, from time to time, *gasp* an AK of some kind, in the truck.

Before I got my permit, I'd open carried into that place often enough. No one ever cared. Dude in sporting goods assumed I was a cop. A customer asked me if I was, one day, and I said 'nope' and when asked if it was legal, explained why/how it is.

Strange that he found himself in trouble at all. Makes me wonder what else was going on.

I guess the cops had to follow up like they would any time someone made a "man with a gun" call of any sort. Is it a matter of process for officers to check the serial to see if it was reported stolen? I didn't think that was mandatory. I wonder if that officer just felt that the guy was a piece of **** and wanted to check his Ps and Qs just in case, or what.

If the guy /knew/ it was a stolen gun, then good, **** him. Would suck if he bought that gun in an innocent manner and didn't know it was stolen.

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    PC is needed to arrest.
    Reasonable suspicion is needed for the stop.

If you're going to spout off legal terms, you should attempt to know what you're talking about.

Another thing, a press release isn't a police report.

You legal scholars should wait until more information is released before allowing the usual witch hunt to begin.

If and when we receive more information about this incident, I will give my opinion.

Let me know if I missed something.

JR1572

You're correct. Reasonable suspicion makes it easier to detain someone. However, what was the reasonable suspicion then?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You're correct. Reasonable suspicion makes it easier to detain someone. However, what was the reasonable suspicion then?

I do not think JR1572 was involved in that arrest, he does not work in Lafayette.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Moron! If the guy knowingly had a stolen gun and decided to OC, he deserves what he got. Anytime you walk around with a weapon on your hip, you have to know that the potential for interaction with law enforcement is very probable. I say good job to the officer for catching that.

Top Bottom