Maurice/Vermilion parish firearm discharge laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Hi all. Hope I'm posting this in the right area. My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a new trailer and land, and have purchased a 1/2 acre lot in Maurice. Moving into a country area has me wondering about pest control (coons,possums,skunks and possibly coyotes). My question is does anyone know where I can find what the laws regarding discharging firearms are for the Maurice area? Trying to find info before we move so I know whether it'll be ok to use firearms or if I'll need to purchase traps if we end up with pests hanging around. Appreciate any info.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    The parish council passes laws and the sheriffs office enforces them. A call to either agency should answer your question.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    depending on how far "out of" city limits you are, it probably wont be an issue if you're using a .22 or something, just be mindful of trajectory.

I live outside but rather close to city limits and I've yet to have any issues. i pop pests with the .22 or 9mm a couple times a month i'd guess. theres another little tidbit of advice but i'll pm it ;)

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My brother in law is outside Maurice city limits on 12 acres and hasn't had any trouble shooting .22s or 20ga. May have to do with neighbors tolerances though. YMMV

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Thanks for all the info guys. Will put in a call to the parish council or try to talk to one of the officers that come into work before we move. Don't have much to worry about behind us as it's all cane fields (not that I won't be careful anyway though), and we currently have at least 3 vacant lots between us and the next house on each side so if there's any distance issues then we should be fine for now at least. Appreciate the help.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I'm between Lafayette and Maurice still in Lafayette parish though, and I've never had issues with shooting yard pest. Most neighbors welcome the assistance with the pest extermination.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    I'm in Gueydan on the west end of Vermilion, the only problems you would have is a noise complaint from neighbors. Just use a .22 with cb's or cci quiets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Some kid an a dirt bike was shot in the head a couple of days ago. They think it was by someone target practicing in a cane field.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Hi all. Hope I'm posting this in the right area. My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a new trailer and land, and have purchased a 1/2 acre lot in Maurice. Moving into a country area has me wondering about pest control (coons,possums,skunks and possibly coyotes). My question is does anyone know where I can find what the laws regarding discharging firearms are for the Maurice area? Trying to find info before we move so I know whether it'll be ok to use firearms or if I'll need to purchase traps if we end up with pests hanging around. Appreciate any info.

Welcome! I work out of Maurice, went to high school right there at North Vermilion, and have lived in Meaux most of my life. Feel free to PM me any time about anything in that area. The Sheriff's Deputies generally side on our side with shooting firearms during daylight hours. You'll have random cranky neighbors here and there, but just give them a call at VPSO and they will clarify any questions.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    Thanks for all the help and info everyone. I appreciate it greatly. I guess I answered my own question yesterday when I went to check out our lot after it had been staked and found a stack of newly empty shotgun shells by the back of the lot we'll be purchasing. I guess one of our soon to be neighbours has been taking advantage of the currently empty lots for some shooting of their own.

Top Bottom