Midsize SUV suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    DO NOT GET A TRAVERSE OR ACADIA !!!!!!!! They look good, ride good, but have had nothing but problems. Every person I know that had one including me have had to spend thousands on repairs. Ever heard of a car that had to have the whole steering system changed before 25,000 miles? How about the coils going out at 40000 miles? It goes on and on. We ended up selling it with 55000 miles after we paid it off and bought a Honda Pilot. Get a Toyota or Honda and don't look back.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    4 Runner or Land Cruiser. Toyotas are excellent and used all over the world, especially terrorists and forces in the sand. Helix, Tacomas, T1000s, 4 Runners, Land Cruisers... even if you don't mount a 50 cal or M40 for city driving. :D

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    We leased a Honda Pilot a number of years ago and LOVED it! The missus drools every time one passes us by...

We bought one. My wife loves it.

I liked it well enough until recently I gained a lot of appreciation for it by driving something else. Short story is it got rear ended and the car that hit us got messed up. Our Pilot spent a couple of hours getting fixed. Most of that was inspection. Repair bill was $180.00!! 7 passengers or 5 with good cargo space. What really made me appreciate it is driving a different SUV. One thing that I didn't like was that rear cargo area floor is angled down. After making a delivery in the rental with a flat floor I don't mind the angled floor at all. The AC controls are to my liking also. Women love Honda Pilots.

The big thing about the Pilot for me was the overall size compared to the interior space is very functional. Easy to maneuver for the space it has. I would not have minded a Mini-Van either. 18 MPG in the city. (suburbs) I find the ride a bit stiff, but it handles well.

One thing I didn't like . . . . is trailer light hookup is ridiculously priced.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    First kid? I'd go with Honda or Toyota, and just figure out what size and features you want. We have 2 in car seats, and my wife drives a CRV and it's never been too small for us. You can probably get one fully loaded for around 30k, and then use the extra 10 grand to take a badass trip (or for some nice NFA toys!)

Get a Toyota or Honda and don't look back.

Yep. Had an Equinox that was nothing but problems and we finally dumped it last year.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Replies are great so far. I hadn't even thought of some of the vehicles up here. To be fair, she currently has a Mercedes GLK 350. It's doable, but not great. Looking to get into the larger sized end of mid size. And to whomever said it wasn't my decision, you're right, it's 100% hers.

Guys,
    Wife is 3 weeks from due date. Bag is packed, car seat is in the car. Problem is, car seat is too damn big for the car. Soo, time to upgrade. Looking to keep it under or close to $40k. Test drove a 4 runner today, I loved it, but I ain't gonna be driving it daily. After the baby is born, we will make a decision together. My question is, what would you buy?

New or used?

I would buy for myself a Lexus GX460. The 4runner is nice, but it's too expensive for what it is. I would prefer a base GX vs a loaded 4runner limited (about the same price).

My wife has a Acura MDX and loves it. I drove the new 2015 MDX though and it's a lot more car than truck, so I probably would not buy another one, but they are attractive cars.

Also consider the Wrangler Unlimited. A lot of women seem to like those these days. With options though they can be well into the $40s.

There's a new Volvo XC90 coming, which would probably be an ideal family car. Lexus RX should barely be in the price range, and a new larger RX is coming soon.

This generation Mercedes GL and ML are nice, but once you add many options they get expensive quickly. I am not a fan of the current BMW X5. She could get an Evoque or the new Disco Sport, but they're very small like the GLK. I would never buy a used Land Rover unless you were able to flip it before the end of the warranty. Porsche has the new Macan but it's very small. The Audi offerings are nice but not really appealing to me.

Honda Pilot is just too ugly IMO. Used to be great styling until about 2008, and then ick. However they are going to make a new one soon, I think due next year. Highlander is attractive but too ubiquitous.

I would not touch anything GM, and although I like Ford I don't care for their SUV styling.

Last edited:

critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    It's not an SUV but like others have said I'd get an Odyssey. When our baby #2 was born my wife wanted a large SUV like a Durango or Explorer. She was deadset against a minivan. That is until I took her to my sisters to see the room on the inside and drive hers. That was it. She wanted an Odyssey.

If you plan on having more kids I'd say just go ahead and make the jump to the minivan. It has tons of room for strollers, pack n plays, toys etc... We took it to Disney this past October and are going back for Mardi Gras with 6 of us. With all of our luggage, strollers, car seats and everything else we'll still fit comfortably. We got the EX-L model with rear entertainment for $33,000 out the door. She just told me the other day she was glad we went the van and didn't actually buy a Durango like she wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    We had a Honda Pilot. Loved it and would still have it had the wife not totaled it. We now have a used Honda Odyssey and I REALLY miss the Pilot. I am not bad mouthing the Odyssey because there are some great features about it including the auto side doors (great for dropping off and picking up our three kids) but I miss being up higher. That is a real concern living in New Orleans with the crappy streets and the flooding. With a van you have the ability to get the kids out very easy. With only one it should not be an issue but with more than two it becomes an issue. My vote is Pilot.

ckliebert

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Bought a 2011 Honda Pilot a month before my kids were born and love it. Huge interior (3 rows, can fit three across in middle row), lots of storage but still low enough to the ground for my wife to get in/out easily. Is also short enough for her to avoid mailboxes/poles/other cars. Would absolutely recommend it to anyone with kids. The cargo area is also big enough to haul 4x8 sheets (building material) which surprised me and has been extremely helpful. For what we need it is the perfect size.

**When shopping for mid sized SUVs, I would recommend bringing the car seat with you and test fitting it. I was shocked at how many SUVs are a poor fit for car seats - the depth is an issue more so than the width (especially with a rear facing car seat).

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Honda Pilot is just too ugly IMO. Used to be great styling until about 2008, and then ick. However they are going to make a new one soon, I think due next year. Highlander is attractive but too ubiquitous.
    Overall I don't care too much about looks. I don't think Honda put forth there best styling on the front of the Pilot. The grill is probably the worst part of the problem.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I vote for the Pilot. We have a 2012 Touring Edition and are very satisfied.

The DVD player and wireless headphones keep our savage child entertained.

JR1572

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Overall I don't care too much about looks. I don't think Honda put forth there best styling on the front of the Pilot. The grill is probably the worst part of the problem.

Yeah to each his own. Inside and out I'm just not a fan. The interior passenger has that weird shelf thing beneath the dash but above the glovebox, the automatic shift knob is awkwardly located, etc. Really it's not that bad looking, but I guess I just was shocked with the change from 08 to 09 and never got over it.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    My daughter and daughter-in-law both drive Odyssey's and I'd have to say they are the best "mommy mobiles" on earth. 5 star safety rating, good economy and features galore - about $35k for the EX-L with extras. Personally, I like my wife's Highlander Limited but we don't have infants/toddlers.

Top Bottom