Migrant workers drivers licensees.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We employ several seasonal migrant workers on an H2A visa.
    They are all from Mexico. They all have a valid license from Mexico and as I understand it, this license recognized per the NAFTA agreement.
    Some are truck drivers, we own the trucks which have farm plates and do not require DOT numbers or local drivers to have a CDL, as they are hauling our product within the state and not for hire. Does their state issued license apply here as well?
    Some have Louisiana licenses, some were issued 4 year licenses some (most recent) were issued licenses until their current visa expiration.

Just trying to get some clarification and stay legal and avoid any problems.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for reading this through.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Sorry for the confusion, most of them were issued La licenses two of them have a valid license from Mexico.
    I wanted to clarify if the Mexico license is valid in Louisiana to drive a eighteen wheeler with farm plates.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Sorry for the confusion, most of them were issued La licenses two of them have a valid license from Mexico.
    I wanted to clarify if the Mexico license is valid in Louisiana to drive a eighteen wheeler with farm plates.

A mexican license is not valid to drive anything in Louisiana. Send them to the DMV.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'm getting mixed responses, not to mention my Google Fu sucks.
    I spoke with the desk Sergeants at Troop E & Troop I and was told the license from Mexico was valid along with a valid Visa. I asked for the statue stating this and couldn't get any further.

pawpaw131

Old School
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Lafourche
    It scares the hell out of me knowing a driver in a truck grossing 80,000-100,000 lbs, going 50 to 70 mph, doesn't need a cdl because it's a farm vehicle. I've been in sugar all my life, so I am not anti farm. Not picking on you 3fifty7. We have one contract hauler in our area with 60+ trucks, 75% of his drivers are Hispanic.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Since we have gotten H2A labor we have been completely accident free for 8 years. And have gotten 1 speeding ticket in the last 2 years.
    When we had local drivers they would total 1 truck per year and have multiple lesser accidents, couldn't keep track of the tickets.
    I was skeptical at first but seeing CDL drivers that left a lot to be desired we thought it can't get any worse and to our pleasant surprise things got much better.
    These men take very good care of our equipment because they were raised knowing if they tear something up they -don't work - they don't eat.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We have harvest permits for up to 100,000 lbs but we've been running 91,000-92,000 gross with a tare weight of 28,000-30,000 lbs.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    GHGE

I'm sorry... I couldn't help it.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    why not hire americans? sorry had to do it

CE is partially correct.

A H2A visa is an agricultural visa for positions that cannot be filled by local labor - a last resort. We have to advertise the job, wages and total compensation packages. If a qualified local applies for the position we will/and are required to hire them. Only when we have proven that the local labor force can't / won't fill the positions we can be approved for visas.

BTW I've spoken with 2 desk Sergeants at Troop E and Troop I they both told me their license from Mexico is recognized here. I asked where to find the statue stating this I got a little bit of a run around, I thanked them and continued looking.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Greed! What's funny is listening to someone talk bad about big corporations, send jobs overseas, then turn around and hire illegals for there cheap labor!!

Hold on now.
    Hiring legal H2A workers is much more expensive than local labor. They are paid well above minimum wage, travel expenses, provided housing, a vehicle to get to and from work and town, lawyer fees as well as other expenses.

They Pay Income Taxes As Well!

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    The statute which covers foreign CDL's is Code of Federal Regulations, 49 CFR 383.

It says that CDL licenses issued by Canada and Mexico are valid for NON residents.

If they become a domiciled resident, they have 30 days to apply for a Louisiana CDL under LA 32:404.1

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Hold on now.
    Hiring legal H2A workers is much more expensive than local labor. They are paid well above minimum wage, travel expenses, provided housing, a vehicle to get to and from work and town, lawyer fees as well as other expenses.

They Pay Income Taxes As Well!

Next person to mouth off about him hiring illegals or his business practices gets a vacation. He has a legitimate question because he is trying to stay within the law, not the other way around. If you want him to hire Americans PM him an application, accept the same wages as the men here on visas, and work as hard.

Top Bottom