Military Discharge Problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogbaron

Long Ago and Far Away
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a friend who is an M.D. He was in the Army Reserve in the 1960's & 70's serving as a doctor with the MASH unit out of New Orleans. At the time of his honorable discharge, he was a captain. He would now like to get his CHP but he cannot locate his DD214 and has been told that the record center containing his records was destroyed by fire some time ago. What can he do to satisfy the state's requirement for a copy of his discharge?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    There was a fire that destroyed alot of records. But why does he need his DD214 for a CHP it's too old to use for training

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm wrong I just went and looked on the LSP website

3. If Discharged indicate the type of discharge. ________________________ Note: You must
    Provide Proof of Discharge. For example Department of Defense Form-214 (DD-214).

Tell him to contact the http://www.vetaffairs.la.gov/ maybe they can help.

That's the reason they told us to go to the Clerk of Court when we got home to record it in case it was ever lost.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    There was a fire that destroyed alot of records. But why does he need his DD214 for a CHP it's too old to use for training

He has to prove that his discharge was honorable.

My DD214 is dated November 1963. I applied for a duplicate a year or so ago and it came right thru.

There was a fire in, I think St. Louis that destroyed a lot of records, but also destroyed the forms that showed where other intact records were filed so they don't know where a lot of records are and, therefore, can't access them.

There is a way to request a copy of one's DD214. Try this site:

<http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html>

I know people who have requested records only to be told they have burned or are inaccessible who resubmitted the request months later and the records were found.

If this form request doesn't work, he might try inquiring at a VA clinic, but have him go there, not phone. It's too easy for them to say "No" over the phone.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Just a thought...
    He might try calling the LSP CHL division and explain what the issue is. It's possible they are already aware of the fire since it affected so many people, and who knows, they might issue a waiver. That's just a total guess but it might be worth a quick call just to ask.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I thought the dd214 was pretty much useless for LA CHP if it was more than 5 years old

He needs if for this.

3. If Discharged indicate the type of discharge. ________________________ Note: You must
    Provide Proof of Discharge. For example Department of Defense Form-214 (DD-214).

It's not for the training, it's to show what type of discharge he had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom