Milled USA made AK?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Just wondering what AK guys think of the Milled Reciver AK's made here in USA I also know they Make stamped ones here as well now think Texas compared to the imports?
    Just using this link as an example
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465218894
    I know while back I thought i saw than at 599 on sale with 2 mags and a real plastic case.
    But really in the market for one. But when i was in the market for a 7.62x39 rifle my options were SKS {been cheaper than an AR conversion} or Import AK N-PAP or O-PAP
    At one tome thought of getting an AR upper and Mags but read that the Mags have problems and would be at same cost as just getting an AK or even less to get a nice SKS and have 7.62x39 rife for even less
    So wonder are the USA Milled AK or Stamped a better gun Than the N-PAPS?
    I am really linking the looks of the laminated stocks and chrome lined barreled ones made here

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Milling an AK received doesn't seem cost effective. I don't see what you would gain versus a properly stamped receiver.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Milling an AK received doesn't seem cost effective. I don't see what you would gain versus a properly stamped receiver.
    That was my question. As in for years they were stamped and did fine why go this route? As to what benefit would you get from it being Milled verses Stamped?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    There is no advantage with today's metallurgy. The first AK-47 model was stamped, but they steel quality back then was not durable enough and they Type II AK-47 was built on a milled receiver as was the Type III for this reason. The AKM came along and they were changed back to a stamped receiver and it then became cheap enough to produce to gain it's legendary status at that point. The only thing you gain with a milled receiver is weight and ease of assembly which is why century is using milled receivers. They jacked up enough stamped receivers to know it's less labor and less error prone. These C39 have very mixed reports of quality. The version 2 is supposed to be better, but I'll stick to factories that have been producing them for decades or building my own.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    There is no advantage with today's metallurgy. The first AK-47 model was stamped, but they steel quality back then was not durable enough and they Type II AK-47 was built on a milled receiver as was the Type III for this reason. The AKM came along and they were changed back to a stamped receiver and it then became cheap enough to produce to gain it's legendary status at that point. The only thing you gain with a milled receiver is weight and ease of assembly which is why century is using milled receivers. They jacked up enough stamped receivers to know it's less labor and less error prone. These C39 have very mixed reports of quality. The version 2 is supposed to be better, but I'll stick to factories that have been producing them for decades or building my own.
    So what would ya get? if not building one? Century Arms Zastava N-PAP AK47 a new YUGO {are thye not just made fro parts kits are are they really all new?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So what would ya get? if not building one? Century Arms Zastava N-PAP AK47 a new YUGO {are thye not just made fro parts kits are are they really all new?

I think you are crawfishing the actual question. You want us to tell you which budget AK is better.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I think you are crawfishing the actual question. You want us to tell you which budget AK is better.
    Not really as i am no longer in the market for one built a AR in 300 blackout with a Bayoushooter lower.
    But before i did so was bombarded with this quest fir an AK and looking at entry level good was crazy at all that had to choosie from.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    The N-PAP or a Romanian WASR-10 would be a great place to start. The Yugo AK's have heavier barrels and longer hand guards that make the after market quite a bit smaller for them, so if that's a concern, then the WASR would be better. They are both good options and have hammer forged barrels, so you should get good life even shooting the bi-metal jackets commbloc ammo. The WASR barrel is chrome-lined though. Just kind of depends on what's important to you.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    It will not let me edit for spelling and to finish my post as i was on a phone call. it logged me out
    Wanted to add that as much as there was out there to confuse someone there is now this milled non milled in the mix.
    So not really crawfishing as not in market but simply asking.
    What's the real deal as it makes it even more confusing for any buyer out there.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    take a look at what Atlantic Firearms is offering, they do stand behind what they sell and one of the better AK sellers.
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/ak-47-rifles/by,price.html

if you will only spend once, get an Arsenal SAM7 (Milled) or SLR107 (stamped). Stamped AK work just as well as milled, you are not going to launch grenades with it. It comes down to a matter of taste - if you want a rifle with more weight that is tough as nail then milled. if you want a rifle that is durable but light weight go with stamped.

stop at a few shops and check out the styles. get one with a side rail, because that open up optic options for you.

if you are one a budget then get one of the WASR from Atlantic.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    Frank's post is pretty spot on. Atlantic has in house gunsmiths that check over everything before they send it out and an Arsenal is always a great choice if you're looking to save a bit more and well worth it. I will agree about the side rail too. It's the best optic mounting option for an AK. The Russians do substantial amounts of research and they decided that was the best way to mount an optic and it does work well.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The weight penalty of a milled receiver is not worth it, IMO. If you only plan to have 1 ak an AKM (1mm stamped receiver) such as a Wasr or the smooth side PAP (not sure if it is the O or the N) would be the way to go. My next suggestion would be the bulged front trunnion 1.5mm receiver Yugo rifle. Milled guns have a different feel and balance due to the receiver weight being where it is. As far as customizing goes an AKM will have the most choice, probably followed by the milled, with the Yugo last. I like the 1.5mm Yugo the best.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    The milled AKs have no real practical advantage. They just have an old school feel to them. The term milled sounds like old world craftsmanship and stamped sounds like mass production.
    Back in the day milled AKs commanded a premium also because they were no longer production, now they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom