Mississippi Castle Doctrine law question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    I didn't know the Castle doctrines were so sweeping that it included public places. I assumed "castle" meant your homestead. Whichever, people still have the right to defend themselves from scum wherever the attack takes place. Does it also protect the shooter from civil lawsuits that will no doubt ensue from the dead scum's family?

Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    They're using "castle law" a bit broadly in that article, it would seem. But I like the law. We have something similar with "shoot the carjacker", this just takes it that extra step forward, you are not required to attempt to retreat in a public place.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. That said, my understanding of the castle doctrine is that it does not have to be in your home. You have the right to defend your own life no matter where it is. I know this is simplistic and if I am wrong I am sure I will be corrected. How I understand the law is that the castle is kind of your personal space. If someone enters that personal space with the intent to harm you you are able to defend it with force. I believe police have, or at least used to have the 21 foot rule.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Talking to my sister in MS is what made me think of this. She seems to think after watching the news report that it's just about open season.
    I tried to tell her a few things about it but it didn't do any good.
    When the guy from LA crossed into Pike Co. the word was spread around that the LE was tired of chasing him and to shoot him if you saw a him. :rolleyes:
    I tried to tell her that LE can't give you permission to kill people.
    Then we got off on stealing your vehicle, they seem to think they can open the door and shoot someone out in the driveway stealing the car. :nono:

I hope they have a legal defense fund.

I gave up.

Oh and when they did get the guy they were chasing I was told a LSP Narc shot him 11 times with a Uzi.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom