Modifying gun safe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Wasn't sure exactly where to put this..

Been telling myself I need to buy a better safe, beings I have a cheap stack on, which is pretty much just a box for a thief to carry everything away in. With the recent thread on stolen guns, it really inspired me to nut up and make the move.

I was checking out the Winchester safes from Tractor Supply, and was thinking of things I can do to improve it. I will definitely bolt it to the floor, with nice sturdy bolts, but what else can I do to make it difficult to pry the door open? I was thinking of welding a good size angle iron along the seam where it closes, to where you can't stick a pry bar from the front of safe, and the safe will be in corner so you can't get leverage from behind. Maybe also add a low profile latch with lock on the side where the angle iron will overlap, something to where you have just enough room between safe and wall to unlock it.

I've just been brainstorming ideas...just thinking of ways to give more piece if mind. Any thoughts?

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    A safe wrapped up in a monitored home security system is about as good as you can get for a reasonable amount of $$$.

Anything can be opened. It's just a function of tools & time. Make access a pita, but add a time limit.

IMO.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I went into the back room of a local gun shop a few years ago. I noticed several of the $90 metal boxes with angle iron welded on... Not saying its better than the $1000 safe but you certainly wouldn't be the first. If you look on youtube you'll find the high end gun safes being peeled by professionals in just a few minutes. The question is whether your gun collection or home is going to attract high end thieves. Mine will slow down the local neighborhood kids long enough hopefully for the neighbors to notice the alarm and the police to be on their way. I'd like to hope that the alarm would make the kids run in the first place.

I have been tempted to just fill that safe up with some lengths of pipe and bricks and just hide the guns. Let them steal the safe!!

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    And I agree 110%..my cousins home was robbed, and the alarm went off. He arrived 6 minutes after the alarm was set off, yet everything was gone. Im sure a second locking mechanism and angle iron would add a little more time...of course unless they just planned on and was prepared to cut it.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I have been tempted to just fill that safe up with some lengths of pipe and bricks and just hide the guns. Let them steal the safe!!

It's funny, because I lost the key to my stack on a couple months ago, but just so happens the last time I had it was to take out my better guns to go shoot, so the only thing in the safe is a little ammo and couple .22s. Hopefully they would just grab safe and leave it at that lol.

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    I believe it's the one that holds 24 long guns and has the door organizer that holds 6 pistols and several other pouches and zipper compartments. I think I got it on sale for $600 reg $799.

Last edited:

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    While we are on the topic of modifying a gun safe, I helped my buddy "fire protect" his gun safe about 5 years ago. It is an old (1950's) heavy duty safe but no fire protection and this bothered him. Well, we pulled out the carpeting that he glued in and then installed 3 layers of 5/8" thick "x-rating" gypsum board. Piecing in took some time, especially in the door. We used Firestop Sealant (the red stuff) to hold everything together....back pieces go in first, then the top, sides, bottom and then you do the door. Used a couple tension bars to hold things in place until the sealant dried (overnight). Next day, we glued in new carpet....now he has a fire barrier to protect his guns...and added even more weight to an already heavy safe. I put emphasis on heavy....because we forgot to mark the holes in the bottom to anchor to the floor....had to put it on it's side to drill them! Doh, damn beer!!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Place the side against the wall so they can't get leverage on the door to open it. That and bolting it to the floor are the easiest and best ways to secure it without altering it.

Top Bottom