Mom and pop discussion from the walmart thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I don't mind supporting mom and pops as long as I am not their sole means of support, i.e. I'm not going to pay $20 for a box of 9mm's that sell for $12 at Chinamart.

Maybe not pay today but like mentioned above YOU WILL PAY MORE before long; keep buying at Wally World if you can't look yourself in the mirror one day you'll see what I mean:}

Shop Mom & Pop IMHO the American Way!

Peace of Mind B with U

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Maybe not pay today but like mentioned above YOU WILL PAY MORE before long; keep buying at Wally World if you can't look yourself in the mirror one day you'll see what I mean:}

Shop Mom & Pop IMHO the American Way!

Peace of Mind B with U

I think the problem is when mom and pop think that the same product they sell is 75-100% higher for a box of ammo there is an issue. I am not going to give the place that is trying to take advantage of unknowing customers my hard earned money.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I think the problem is when mom and pop think that the same product they sell is 75-100% higher for a box of ammo there is an issue. I am not going to give the place that is trying to take advantage of unknowing customers my hard earned money.

Freedom of Choice...God Bless America

I appreciate your comment even though I don't understand it:}

Good Luck:}

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I agree entirely. I try to shop mom and pop when I can, but I have no interest in paying and extra 10 dollars a box on ammo. Some of the same mom and pop stores, which are asking us to take our business there, are the ones raising the prices on batteries, water, etc. when hurricanes are in the gulf.

Ok keep shoping mom & pop when you can you'll sooon see my point:}

Thanks

Peace B with U

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Freedom of Choice...God Bless America

I appreciate your comment even though I don't understand it:}

Good Luck:}

My point is that many mom and pop places out price themselves by a large percentage. It comes a point to where I will not overpay by a large portion to support a local place that is intentionally screwing over its customer base by selling to unknowing customers. Many people don't know the price they should be paying for something.

Places that do try to stay competitive and treat customers well, I will give my business to. I prefer to shop local, but if I feel prices are unjustifyable, I will shop elsewhere.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    OK Guys, This is off topic, But I wanted to address some of the Mom & pop comments.
    Granted you guys are probably correct about the store you mention...........
    Hey, thanks for giving them a try by shopping them. If they are doing it wrong, then they are just doing it wrong,
    and I would not expect you to purchase from them.

I know, I know -- I'm shopping at walmart for Price reasons on this ammo. I am human too, and can not pass up a screaming deal.
    Lets face it, we all want something for nothing. Including myself. But we have to be careful and not pass up the local guy too many times.
    A screaming deal is a screaming deal. However, if we were ONLY saving a few pennies, I would go to my local supplier

A little Lesson on MOM & Pop stores and higher prices..................

First these are GENERAL comments, answers to questions and my theorys.
    Yes every business is different..........Some people know how to run a successful business, and some dont.

I am biased here, because I AM a small business owner competing against the Big Guys and National Chains.

The reason Small business charge more at times is simply because of OVERHEAD. You tend to forget that the Cost of doing business is NOT cheap.
    Then throw in Employees , insurance, workers comp payments, and good ole taxes. [We have to Match some of the Taxes "YOU" pay to the government] .
    and you have the recipe for higher prices.

I can't put attorneys and Accountants on my payroll full time to Work the tax code , ward off frivolous law suits and investigate employees pretending to get
    hurt on the Job.
    And When that check comes back NSF, I don't have a team of collection experts at my disposal.
    Things like Visa/MC fees hit us pretty hard because we don't move the gross volume $$$ like a Walmart does...........
    Thousands of $$$ are spent every year for the privilege of accepting all major credit cards
    When was the last time you paid Cash for something?

I think you are getting the picture here..................

So LISTEN up guys............ Please consider paying the few $$$ a small business charges.
    I don't have time to give a full blown economics class why its so important to "keep your money local"
    but to tell you to KEEP YOUR MONEY LOCAL ! and you've got to trust me on this one.

In the bigger picture , your Community survives off of Local business'.

NOW, I do agree with your complaint of Super higher prices.............. YES I DO AGREE that some small business prices are astronomical........
    Remember my earlier comment about
    Some people know how to run a successful business, and some dont.

I'm on your side here .
    If they can not manage their overhead, they HAVE to raise their prices.
    YES -- some are greedy and do it simply because they can get away with it.

I also feel your pain when you go to a local shop and the customer service is horrible.
    Customer service "IS" the backbone of Local business. I feel the same way, when I go local and know Im gonna spend a few extra $$,
    I do expect the BEST !
    When you come to my repair shop, you will get the BEST. I do cost more than a chain store, [ less than the dealer ]
    and I let my customers KNOW first hand that I appreciate their business !

So give that small business a chance every time you purchase something.
    and IF you don't get the best service, I Promise you 100% that the owner [ not manager ] would love to hear your comments and opinions
    so he/she can correct it ! I have NOT met a business owner that would not appreciate your comments.
    Especially if you had a Bad experience .
    Just like its nice to drop a few hints when you have a good one !

If the local store is only a few $$$ more, then PLEASE do your community a favor and
    KEEP THE MONEY LOCAL !

But Most of all, [ and with a SMILE on my Face ] I will spend a few extra $$$ with a local business because I know first hand what it does for my
    Local economy.

ENJOY!

Vince

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    OK

If the local store is only a few $$$ more, then PLEASE do your community a favor and
    KEEP THE MONEY LOCAL !

But Most of all, [ and with a SMILE on my Face ] I will spend a few extra $$$ with a local business because I know first hand what it does for my
    Local economy.

ENJOY!

Vince

DAMN WELL SAID Vince!

I'm proud of you..I agree 100%
    \\Shop Mom & Pop It's the American way IMHO

Again thanks1

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    NOLA_Jack & Skiney,
    Its entirely too hard to summarize both opinions in simple sentences.
    The Big guys are being subsidized..........[ Obama just spent billions doing so and it only bought us some time until the inevitable has to happen ] LOL
    But it takes the Little guys to turn into big guys.
    The US started off as the Little guys.
    We can't let Economic darwinism get rid of EITHER..............
    Because neither can survive without the other.
    There has to be Balance.
    and right now that Balance has been disturbed. Small business is the backbone of the US.
    and Big business drives the world economy.

Did I fall down and bump my head again ? Lets all Hold hands and go hug a tree !
    [ then hang a target from it ]

I know its a little off topic, and I am guilty as charged in being in all over this ammo deal............
    I sure we all consider this to be one of those Screamin Deals that no one could, should pass up.
    I am a Realist.................

We don't teach what it cost to operate a small business in school.
    We don't teach why you should shop local. or WHY we should shop "USA" .
    We just tell people to do so because it makes for some good common sense to us all.
    We should take the time to explain why small business' struggle to compete with the buying power of a chain store,
    and exactly WHY we must have small business to survive.

We should teach exactly why paying those few extra $$$ comes around full circle to help the community they live in.
    We should explain how it effects everyone in more ways than "10".

Remember, I am a realist. I understand that we Need Big Business.
    and Im not saying "Death to Chain Stores"

My point is, give that local a chance. If the price is close enough for beans, ring the Local's bell.

The Mom and Pop stores that do it the wrong way, leave a bad taste in our mouths.
    Just like the When the big guys do us wrong, it is just as sour.
    The good always have to suffer for the actions of the bad. Big or small

When a Local is doing everything wrong, Im 100% comfortable with people staying away.
    When Big guys do it wrong we stay away.

I would like people to do 1 thing for me,
    When you have an issue with a local business, Go speak to the OWNER.
    Let them know what's going on and see if they can correct it.
    You will be appreciated more than you can imagine !
    When you don't let them know what's up, it hurts everyone.

Finally, when you have informed the owner, and they do nothing to correct it,
    You have my permission to Cut their Nuts off with a "Rock", because they should not be
    reproducing !:redfinger:

Now, what were we talking about ? Ammo ? lol

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    So, paying more money to subsidize businesses who are unable to compete is the american way? So much for capitalism and economic darwinism.

+1 I don't mind spending a small amount more for a local place that treats me right. I will not support a local place that purposefully overinflates their prices beyond a reasonable amount. It's called competition. If you fail to compete in some way whether it be price or service such as Donavan's, then you deserve to fail as a business.

bsramzy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    prairieville
    I agree with all your points LNSvINCE. I work for a small business owner and just recently she opened her books up to me. I had no idea the kind of overhead she pays. I was always upset when she wasnt able to offer us medical benefits. After seeing the numbers, I can completely understand why she cannot.

Between payroll taxes, credit card fees, rent, etc....its amazing a small business can make it.

We should in fairness start threads about local businesses when it comes to ammo deals(even if its a few dollars more)

I just dont know locally who would have a large volume at a competitive price so I always just order online.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    My point is, give that local a chance. If the price is close enough for beans, ring the Local's bell.

The Mom and Pop stores that do it the wrong way, leave a bad taste in our mouths.
    Just like the When the big guys do us wrong, it is just as sour.
    The good always have to suffer for the actions of the bad. Big or small

When a Local is doing everything wrong, Im 100% comfortable with people staying away.
    When Big guys do it wrong we stay away.

I would like people to do 1 thing for me,
    When you have an issue with a local business, Go speak to the OWNER.
    Let them know what's going on and see if they can correct it.
    You will be appreciated more than you can imagine !
    When you don't let them know what's up, it hurts everyone.

Finally, when you have informed the owner, and they do nothing to correct it,
    You have my permission to Cut their Nuts off with a "Rock", because they should not be
    reproducing !:redfinger:

Now, what were we talking about ? Ammo ? lol

Vince I agree entirely. I have no problem shopping mom and pop, or going to smaller stores/service providers. If I still had my duster, you would be baby sitting it for me lol.

My whole issue, is skiney's attempts to talk down to people. Statements like
    keep buying at Wally World if you can't look yourself in the mirror one day you'll see what I mean:}
    are a large part of what brought this thread off topic, while him repeating the same thing over and over are what keeps it off topic. I buy the things that I need same as you. I do the things that I want(when I can :() same as you. We BOTH don't need someone telling us how our actions influence the rest of the world, or how bad we will feel if we don't do what he wants us to. If he wants to keep pushing for mom and pop stores, that is fine, but I'd suggest doing it in a mom and pop store thread. Or better yet, if he(or anyone), finds a mom and pop store offering a really good deal, post it in the hot deal sections. That will have more people shopping mom and pop, than any of his harping.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    NOLA_Jack
    It took me a minute, but I figured there was more to this story. IM pretty confident that 99% of the members here feel the same way when it boils down to it.
    Its what makes this forum the best out there.
    bsramzy , it is sad but true. Everyone should be happy if you are able to keep a full time job with any amount of benefits in this economy.
    I would love to give even more to my guys [ girls ], but I just cant. Even the automotive repair business has dropped 30-40%.
    I have more customers than ever. I am picking up new customers each week. The problem is, my customers can only afford to fix what is broke.
    Preventive maintenance is one of those luxuries that get cut down.

Thats it, NO more shop talk !
    Lets give a Big :hi5: to GunRelated for keeping his eye open for the rest of us !

Hopefully your horse will be fine. If I knew anything about Horses, Id offer help.
    I could fix your truck or trailer so you can cart that horse around, I just dont have the correct computer connector or software to program a Horse !

Back to the regular thread on updates of ammo locations !
    BS875 hooked me up when he found some I think on Siegen......... So Im good to go.

Ill pass through the Denham store When I can to check for you guys.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom