Monroe Man arrested for wearing bulletproof vest......Poll included

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Yeah, he probably wouldn't have gotten in any trouble, or caused anyone to be concerned, if he had put it on at home instead of the parking lot. Someone needs to explain to him that "concealed means concealed".

Still, I can't see that being enough of a reason to arrest him, without any other factors being involved.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78742

I'm willing to bet we're missing parts of the story...

And this one...

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=508459

JR1572

Well reading over the statute, I don't see where it is illegal to wear body armor, unless you have broken one of the laws stated in the statute. So with what we know about this he did not break any law. But I also think it is crazy for a state to have a law against it. People should be allowed to protect themselves however they see fit. It is OK for LE to have it. Are we supposed to have laws in this nation that apply to one class of person but not another?

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I agree there should not be a law against it. However, if I saw someone suiting up before going into a big fair, or gathering, I'm most certainly going to be a little suspicious...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    I've been to that fair before... and I am related to people that have been victims of violent crimes there. I can't say I blame him for wearing it!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    lmkrhubu3izouhky2if.png

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    So going off of the arrest affidavit, shown above, why was he arrested? It does not appear he broke the laws as shown earlier in the thread.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So where's the unlawful part in that arrest affidavit? I own body armor and have been known to wear it on extremely rare occasions. I always understood it was legal to wear as long as you weren't committing a crime. I have also been around celebrities who were wearing body armor in public.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    So going off of the arrest affidavit, shown above, why was he arrested? It does not appear he broke the laws as shown earlier in the thread.

So where's the unlawful part in that arrest affidavit? I own body armor and have been known to wear it on extremely rare occasions. I always understood it was legal to wear as long as you weren't committing a crime. I have also been around celebrities who were wearing body armor in public.

Under "Criminal History" "yes, Poss. of Marijuana".

LA Rev Stat § 14:95.3
    Unlawful use or possession of body armor
    A.(1) It is unlawful for any person to possess body armor who has been convicted of any of the following:
    (g) Any violation of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    re-read statute, if he was convicted then sub-paragraph G applies.

That should have been detailed in the narrative, but that's the FTO and patrol supervisor in me talking.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    re-read statute, if he was convicted then sub-paragraph G applies.

That should have been detailed in the narrative, but that's the FTO and patrol supervisor in me talking.

I would have put a line in the affidavit referencing the date of conviction of any statute that was listed in his criminal history that would make 95.3 fit as the proper charge. Just because 40:966 is on his record doesn't mean he was convicted of it...

JR1572

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    You know, even if he was technically violating the law by being in possession of body armor after a disqualifying conviction for drug possession, I don't think I would have arrested the guy. If he was suiting up and illegally packing as well, yeah, but if he was just wearing the body armor, and truly had been recently shot, I can't see it being necessary to hook the dude.

Top Bottom