Montana Gold 9MM Bullets/OAL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsiener

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Need some feedback. Just purchased some MB 9MM 115gr FMJ bullets. Seems these are a little longer than the Frontier's I have been using. I am seating the Frontiers to an OAL of 1.115/Power Pistol of 5.6 gr with once fired 9MM brass. Does anyone have a suggestions on OAL for this round. There is NO data from MG available, and using Lyman reloading manual is no help. With a longer bullet such as MG I know there could be a compressed/pressure issue and don't want to blow myself up. Has ANYONE loaded MG 9MM 115 gr FMJ with Power Pistol powder??? Would appreciate some advice.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    COL (Cartridge Overall Length) is determined just as much by the gun as the bullet.
    COL is not that hard to determine for yourself and COL in a manual is no more than the minimum COL the data applies to.
    For MG, a COL of 1.135" works well for me.
    Do you know about loading a couple of inert dummy rounds for die set-up and function testing? This also allows you to find the COL range that works for your gun and bullet.
    You aren't going to blow yourself up by COL variation. Bullet set-backdanger is when the bullet is pushed in the case by about 0.1" and not a problem going from 1.120 to 1.100". Also, if one starts at the starting load, there is no concern.
    Create a couple of dummy rounds and set COL LONG to start. Mark the bullet and first half of case with magic marker. Drop in barrel and see where the marking is scrapped. If scratches are on bullet, seat deeper. If scratches are on case mouth, remove more of the case mouth flare. If scratches are down near the base of the bullet, you didn't expand the case enough and the bullet is seating crooked. Adjust COL until rounds chamber easily. Then, re-assemble the gun and load the magazine with your two inert rounds. Verify feeding and chambering. Start loading at the starting load.
    Millions have loaded 115gn bullets and Power Pistol. Normal statring load is 5.0gn to 6.2gn (I start at 5.0gn) and 6.0-6.5gn is where accuracy is best for most guns. COL can range from 1.140 to 1.104", depending on gun and bullet.

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    As noylj said: make some dummy rds to test with, then work some up, you'll hit it.
    Do a Google search for MG 9mm...lots of load data out there. I run 9mm 115 Plated Extreme RN with 5.2 gr Unique. I like OAL of 1.15. If you measure some of the factory stuff ...most use 1.15, XTP HP come in at 1.13. Just do not exceed the 1.169.
    Here's a good start: http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13971

Top Bottom