More recoil, Shield 9mm or Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    So my fiance is looking for her own gun, shes not to found of my XD9. I took her to shooters club the other day and we rented a G19 and Bersa .380, she liked both. I've been looking on line and a lot of people say that the shield has less recoil then expected but I was just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with both guns. I do not know anyone with a shield so I can't get my finace any range time with it and I can't find any place that rents them. Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I had a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel and own a Shield 9mm. I would say the recoil on the Shield is a little snappy, but not bad, especially for it's size and weight. If I wanted to shoot 400 rounds at the range, the Shield would probably not be my first choice, but I don't have any problem shooting 150 rounds or so at one time.

Where do you live?

Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    Good info, thanks! It would be more of a concealed firearm then a range gun although she would definitely practice with it.

We're in Metairie.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I let my fiancée shoot my Shield last weekend and she pretty much claimed it for herself. She's about as physically weak as they come. It likes to jump, but she shot it pretty well. I put about 100 through it myself and the only problem I had was my thumb getting a little sore from reloading.

Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    In my opinion i think the glock to me is a little snappier to me.
    Thanks

I let my fiancée shoot my Shield last weekend and she pretty much claimed it for herself. She's about as physically weak as they come. It likes to jump, but she shot it pretty well. I put about 100 through it myself and the only problem I had was my thumb getting a little sore from reloading.

Lol, thats good to know. Yea my fiance doesnt like my XD9 much at all. Shes shot it a few times but she wants her own now and I feel the same way too. Also, I hope your thumb feels better haha.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    I've owned both and without a doubt in my mind, the shield 9mm is plenty more snappy than the glock 19.

the lighter weight of the shield, coupled with the shorter barrel seems to want to jump out of my hand.
    the glock on the other hand would cut into my middle finger, right underneath the trigger guard. so i got rid of the glock and saved the shield for my ccw.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'm also waiting to see how the Walther CCP turns out. They claim it will have less recoil than other comparable guns and should be easier to rack, so we may get that. If not, I'll probably get a .40 Shield.

Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    ive got a shield 9mm and can meet yall at shooters club if she want to shoot it
    Oh wow, I actually had someone PM me about meeting up to shoot their Shield too that i've replied too. I'll definitely let you know if the other guy and myself have a scheduling conflict and can't make it happen to see if your offer is still good. Thank you!

I'm also waiting to see how the Walther CCP turns out. They claim it will have less recoil than other comparable guns and should be easier to rack, so we may get that. If not, I'll probably get a .40 Shield.
    What will the price range be?

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe

Highly recommend going with 9mm for the small carry guns.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a pair of both the shield and g19's and the shield are significantly more snappy than the g19 but a considerably easier to conceal. The shield is easy shooting compared to my pf9 and cm9 hence when I bought my shield I sold both the other single stack guns. I work a lot but if I'm ever at the range, I usually don't mind letting people shoot my guns.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They are very different guns. The Glock 19 is a real gun that happens to be very concealable. The Shield is a tiny gun that compromises a lot for the sake of concealability. The Shield handles recoil well for a small gun, but it's still a small gun and much harder to control and shoot than a full size gun like the 19. I wouldn't go the Shield route unless easy concealment is THE deciding factor, because the Glock wins in every other category.

Nola 32/65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Metairie
    Thank you for all the great information everyone!

Right now we have a date with a member to shoot one coming up so I guess that will be the real deciding factor.

Its main purpose will be to conceal and carry in my finance's purse.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    They are very different guns. The Glock 19 is a real gun that happens to be very concealable. The Shield is a tiny gun that compromises a lot for the sake of concealability. The Shield handles recoil well for a small gun, but it's still a small gun and much harder to control and shoot than a full size gun like the 19. I wouldn't go the Shield route unless easy concealment is THE deciding factor, because the Glock wins in every other category.

I own a shield and used to own a 19. The shield for me is very accurate. I feel like capacity is its only downfall compared to the 19.

Top Bottom