Most underrated rimfire rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I thought everyone knew of the Marlin's and CZ's reputation.

I would put these as underrated:
    Browning SA-22
    Remington 552 Speedmaster
    Kimber 82G
    Mossberg 144LSB and similar models
    Thompson Center .22lr (from what I hear)
    Some of the Russian .22 rifles

That said I have in my possession a 10-22 that is amazing. It is a Clark Custom that belonged to Pat Taylor. The trigger is phenomenal. The sling smelled like dead animal as in corpse, rotting flesh. Maybe it would be great in a zombie apocalypse but I cleaned it 3 times and told the owner get a new sling. I emailed Clark Custom Guns and was impressed with their responses. The rifle is not what I would call ammo sensitive. It shoots pretty well with anything.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My only experience with the Marlin Mod. 60 was a bad one . The one I had wouldn't fire more than 5 shots without jamming . Got rid of it . I love my CZ though .

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Norinco JW-15. It's a copy of the BRNO which is what the CZ452 is a copy of too. You can get them on gunbroker for $100.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    CZ 452 but I'm a little biased:) I don't own one but a friend of mine with whom I shoot with regularly has one and it is an amazing rifle. His is for a left handed shooter and found I liked it a bunch as a right handed shooter. You can still hold the target with your right hand while cycling the bolt with the left, never taking your aiming hand off the rifle. Found it was pretty damn fast going thru 5 rounds like that and hitting the target..Extremely well made and accurate rifle out of the box and plan on getting one soon...just with the damn ammo would get back to reality!!!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Even though I don't own any I am a sucker for any .22lr bolt gun that looks like a full sized adult rifle.
    I would love to have a $4K target rifle in .22lr but the irony is I don't shoot match grade ammo out of what I have.
    Sight that adjust with fingers only (not tools) are the only way for me to go an any rifle.

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    On the Marlin 60 there are 2 main problems I have seen.
    The most common is the ejector wire gets knocked out of adjustment. This usually happens when cleaning. It needs to be readjusted for the proper height and left to right orientation.
    Less common but still happens is due to the way the action attaches is it can bind with the stock being too tight. This is a more involved fix.

The biggest drawback & hurdle to better accuracy in my opinion is the action locates as 3 separate units and the action can get filthy.

It is a great gun when it works correctly. I have one that I love, but it is what it is. Lack of aftermarket is not a big deal to me.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Well...IMHO Winchester Model 67 or Remington 552 SpeedMaster I like dem both me:}

n6576w98hac8tujsb7dw.jpg

qo57ay2vum1o73da37e.jpg

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The Savage 64 with the Thumbhole stock and heavy barrel (IIRC 64 BTV), can't miss. The wife shot one ragged hole in the target and she doesn't shoot but once a decade. Its a keeper.

N.O. YAT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    N.O.-B.R.
    I agree the Marlin 60 is hard to beat,the 10/22 with all the aftermarket accessories available makes it a fun gun also.The CZ's are far more accurate but like the old saying you get what you pay for! My choice hands down when it comes to a .22 rimfire is the Remington 552 Speedmaster,autoload,tube fed,shoots shorts,longs and long rifles or any combination of the three. Got my first one in 1960 and still shoot it quite alot,have gotten a couple of more over the years and everyone of them are fine rifles!

Scottr88

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Gonzales
    I just got a Ruger American 22,Now,it doesn't have the trigger like my 452 CZ,but it is still very crisp and breaks around 3 lbs,thats very good in todays factory rifle world.I put 200 rounds through it yesterday and it shot very well,cleaned up easily,and best of all,it uses the 10 round ruger magazines,and can use the 25 rounders ifyou choose.Thumbs up to Ruger on a quality rifle at a decent cost.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Since I cannot get a CZ for a while, I"ll throw in my old faithful, my Remington 550-1, I think its the grandpa for papa of the 552. It has the charging handle and deflector on the right side and eats all .22 rimfire like the Speedmaster. It was my Dads and have shot that thing forever!! Took care of plenty of edible rodents!!!

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Remington 550-1 hands down my absolute most favorite. Passed to me by the Father in Law. It's slain 3 generations worth of squirrels and varmint, and still cranks out .22LR like a champ.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've a CZ 452, and it is accurate, lights out accurate. Great rifle.
    DSCN0226_zps1f32708e.jpg

I've a 552 Speedmaster. Great Rifle. Lots of fun. Very reliable. Reasonably accurate.
    P1010080.jpg

My 513T Matchmaster is the most under rated rifle I own, I think. These sell for as little as $400. 48 years old.
    DSCN0596_zps1738f620.jpg

The biggest surprise though was my Cricket rifle. It shoots quality ammo like a match grade rifle.
    DSCN02011_zpsb1c9635f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom