Motorcycle growing pains..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    So I just got my first bike the other day, a good used little 125cc Honda Grom, its an awesome bike with a curb weight around 220lbs, it fits nicely in the back of my Ford Ranger which is a nice plus. I have yet to get my endorsment so I have been riding it around on some private roads in the country. I have found that when up to speed its an awesome little bike, fun and nimble, and nearly impossible to tip over, but I have managed to lay it down once on some grass thankfully, starting out is a bit tricky... having to work that clutch and the throttle has proven interesting, and when starting out I was a little heavy on the throttle, and it kinda popped a wheelie and bucked me (Feet were on the ground) and went into some grass and fell, no real damage besides a bent rear brake pedal that I bent back, but I am learning soon I will take my endorsment test . And you will see me on this thing around Covington/Bush area... Only thing I want to do is get new damn side mirrors they are basically worthless...

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    This is what I would do with one in a heartbeat
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397813978.620812.jpg
    But if I wanted a small bike with great milage I would go here...
    Cbr300. Rode one and they have just enough power to be fun and get out of the way. The grom was on fun in the city for me cruising around 35. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397814050.437560.jpg

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Bent rear brake pedal? Oh, it's totaled. I'll give you $10 and haul it off to scrap for ya. There should be room in the garag, er I mean scrapyard for it...

Nice bike...

Oh, and get your ass in a motorcycle safety course, before you go for the endorsement. You'll learn a lot, and it's fun. You'll, learn the good habits before you start the bad ones. They have their own bikes for you to learn on. They give you a certificate that you take to the dmv, to help get your endorsement. It'll also save you some money on your bike insurance, when you tell them you've had the class. Win, win, win...
    Now, go get your ass in class, and welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Last edited:

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I would suggest you take a rider safety education course. They are offered through the state or check with a local Harley dealer (you don't have to have a Harley). It will be the best thing you ever did and it could save your life.

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    IMG_20130621_183515_677-1.jpgI outgrew my small bike (05 gs500) very quickly. I only rode it for about 7 months before I was looking for something bigger with more power. Then I bought my CBR Super Blackbird, and never looked back... until the Grom came out. I never thought I'd want a small bike again, but the Groms are a blast to ride! One day I'll have a Grom with a CR500 engine in the stable!

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I didn't pay 45 for mine more like 2.5k, it's fun, unfortunately the next safety class in hammond isn't till June.... I will have to check with the Harley shop, mainly going to ride this between bush and Covington, It's perfect for that... Anyone else know of any safety course near Covington soon?

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    On a side note I just figured out the clutch, dont stall it 70 percent of the time now, supposedly the Hammond harley davidson dealer runs a safety course, that is not the LSP one, and that would be alot better for me then BR...

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    For size comparision this is my 6 foot 1 inch tall person next to it, the seat sits around the same level as a nice mountain bike..

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    +1 to taking a motorcycle course. Joe Romero? (ill verify later) has a fantastic course. Showed up with less than 50 miles on my suzuki. I left with the confidence that you couldn't hit me with your truck if you tried.

Easily the best cash i ever spent for my own safety.

oh, and nice bike!

Gilbee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    Agree with the others on the MSF course, it's good stuff.

Also, keep in mind that if you take a safety course, you can actually take it on your bike since it's under the max engine size requirement; the LSP one will definitely let you (then the class is $25 instead of $100), and the harley one is supposed to (sometimes the person answering the phone doesn't know you can, ask for the riders edge coordinator to make sure you are talking to the right person), though I don't know if/how much that cuts the cost of their course.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I would recommend going to gcminow.com. The instructors have many years of LE motors and D. Wallace has won numerous awards throughout the country for his riding skills. Its a good class for beginners and current riders.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    Be care full on 40. I knew a guy that got killed on a bike a few years ago. He was riding down the road and a car pulled out into him.

Top Bottom