Motorcycle growing pains..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Be care full on 40. I knew a guy that got killed on a bike a few years ago. He was riding down the road and a car pulled out into him.
    Not saying that nothign bad can happen to me, but you have to looking for an escape route at all times, aware of what you can and cant do in case of something, and I will always wear long pants and jacket and helmet, so laying down the bike is an option....

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    He had been riding longer than you have been alive. Riding a custom chopper in full leathers and the car broadsided him without seeing him. DRT

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    He had been riding longer than you have been alive. Riding a custom chopper in full leathers and the car broadsided him without seeing him. DRT
    **** man... since I am guard I'll also start wearing a reflective vest, since that satisfies the sgli people. ..

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    You learn to always be alert and aware, assuming everybody is about to do the dumbest thing they could do to kill you. As with anything, though, mistakes and lapses are made. You can ride for a week or a lifetime, it only takes one error, and experience can hurt you when you get complacent. And of course, they never, EVER saw you. But in my four years and four self-inflicted lowsides before finally bending the frame, I never once had a "close call" that I couldn't see coming from a mile away and could have been well clear of the other vehicle if I weren't young, dumb, and trying to make a stand. Anyways, when the risk outweighs the pleasure, you'll know. Personally, I can't wait for my financial situation to allow for another.

Just some notes from experince, normal pants are only safer than shorts because they'll absorb rocks and insects. As far as abrasion resistance, jeans are worthless. I've crashed at 5 MPH in jeans and tore my legs up and burned my ankle on the motor. Also, laying it down is never a good idea, it's usually just the result of panic. You always want to get it pointed away from immovable objects if you can't avoid hitting something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Nope when it's time to go it's time to go. On a side note swing by sometime so I can check it out.

Well SGLI is life insurance... wont pay unless I had all the safety gear required... and will do, gotta get that endorsment, on a side note how hard is the endorsment test? Just curious since the MSC is a while out, and want to be able to legally ride and pratice on some country roads

kibb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lafayette, La
    Not saying that nothign bad can happen to me, but you have to looking for an escape route at all times, aware of what you can and cant do in case of something, and I will always wear long pants and jacket and helmet, so laying down the bike is an option....

Keeping rubber on the road will stop you faster than laying it down. Laying it down is just for the movies.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Congrats, Deff take the MSC. My Girlfriend just started riding about 6 months ago and she loved the course. It tought her a lot of valuable information. It took a couple months for the course to come around but it was worth the wait. Cut the insurance literally in half and you just hand the certificate to the DMV and get your endorsement. She also had a lot of fun and could ask all the questions you want answers to before you get on the rode.

On a side not that seems like a lot for a 125cc. We picked up a 2012 Honda CBR 250cc for her to learn on for WAY cheaper than that. Only had 215 miles on it in perfect condition.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Trust me, laying it down is what people say to keep from saying they panicked. NOBODY lays it down on purpose. Most of the time it improper braking.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Trust me, laying it down is what people say to keep from saying they panicked. NOBODY lays it down on purpose. Most of the time it improper braking.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Unless there is an 18-wheeler sliding sideways across all lanes of travel with a hijacked armored car behind it having a shootout and high speed chase with the popo. You gotta drop the bike and slide under that ****.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Unless there is an 18-wheeler sliding sideways across all lanes of travel with a hijacked armored car behind it having a shootout and high speed chase with the popo. You gotta drop the bike and slide under that ****.
    Lol Ill keep that in mind, you never know whats going to go down...

headcase

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Metairie, LA.
    mc driving test

The written test is harder than the driving test, imo. In New Orleans, they have you drive in a circle around the parking lot, stop, signal and return. Piece of cake! Always remember to keep the cycle endorsement when you renew your DL. It doesn't cost anything extra and allows you to hop on any bike and be legal and covered by insurance. Written test wasn't that hard either, just review the mc driving handbook you can get for free at the DMV.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    The written test is harder than the driving test, imo. In New Orleans, they have you drive in a circle around the parking lot, stop, signal and return. Piece of cake! Always remember to keep the cycle endorsement when you renew your DL. It doesn't cost anything extra and allows you to hop on any bike and be legal and covered by insurance. Written test wasn't that hard either, just review the mc driving handbook you can get for free at the DMV.

Endorsement cost me extra.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    The Hammond DMV driving test consists of pulling out of the parking lot and going 30-40 feet to the light. Turn right and pull back into the parking lot. Test done. Read the Motorcycle pamphlet from the DMV and you cant help to pass the written test.

That being said, I highly recommend the motorcycle safety course. I rode for years, then Uncle Sam made me get one to ride my bike on base. One of the best classes I ever took.

BTW. Be ready to get a bigger bike.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    The riding test is not standardized here unfortunately. You do not have to exhibit the actual ability to perform emergency or evasive maneuvers or be able to operate a motorcycle safely in traffic. Without these physical and mental skills.......GOOD LUCK!

Sort of like claiming you know how to shoot and can barely hit a silhoutte with a .22 at more than arms length:rofl:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom