Moving back to Houston

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    It's been a rough ride down here but I stuck it out for the sake of my company. Finally got the offer that made me look and I took it. Substantial raise, back home with friends, much better (less stressful) job. I've enjoyed my time on BSF and met a few pretty cool people. I'm sure I'll poke my nose back in from time to time. Last day at work is 11 July, leaving out sometime soon after that. Thanks for the :rofl: later dudes!

g

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Jealous!

I enjoy living next to my parents, but I'm going to do what I can to convince our kids that the Woodlands (and other areas) looks like a really nice area to settle down. Cause Mama is moving someday. ;)

Or the burbs of Austin.

Or outside of Dallas.

Hell, I could be content to live anywhere in Texas. I learned how to swim in the gulf on Padre Island while Mom and Dad were living in Corpus. Lots of pictures of me dog paddling and the next shot was a wave knocking me over. I was three. :)

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I lived there 15 years, it felt like I took a 10 lb crap when I left.

It was fun when it was fun but when it was over it was over. Good Luck, life's cheap in town.

Sounds like your felling to leave where you are is like what I felt leaving Houston.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I miss Texas. 10 years in Austin made me appreciate that nation. Houston kept trying to hire us IT types from Austin with substantial pay raises, etc., but very few took it. If I could find a government job for my wife there I'd go too. She's an engineer with 12 years in the federal bureaucracy, and if she can stick it out a few more she can retire, and we can go anywhere. Sadly there's not much federal work for engineers in Austin.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I miss Texas. 10 years in Austin made me appreciate that nation. Houston kept trying to hire us IT types from Austin with substantial pay raises, etc., but very few took it. If I could find a government job for my wife there I'd go too. She's an engineer with 12 years in the federal bureaucracy, and if she can stick it out a few more she can retire, and we can go anywhere. Sadly there's not much federal work for engineers in Austin.

I worked between Austin and Houston in 1975 & 76. I had a place in both and I did like the Austin life. Went back years later and didn't even recognize the place. When I was there Willie still owned a pool hall on S Lamar and Armadillo World was in an abandoned movie theater with no seats. LOTs has changed.

I don't ever remember liking Houston though, just the money. I drove OTR trucks out of there so I wasn't there full time, couldn't have made it full time in Houston.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I worked between Austin and Houston in 1975 & 76. I had a place in both and I did like the Austin life. Went back years later and didn't even recognize the place. When I was there Willie still owned a pool hall on S Lamar and Armadillo World was in an abandoned movie theater with no seats. LOTs has changed.

I don't ever remember liking Houston though, just the money. I drove OTR trucks out of there so I wasn't there full time, couldn't have made it full time in Houston.

I do miss Willie. Seems like he's friends with just about everybody he ever met. What a great guy. Has a fun golf course too. Can't say I can keep a ball on the fairway, but it's sure pretty up there.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    We, too, spent many years in Texas; Corpus, Houston, Austin, Midland, Brownsville, & Galveston.

Austin has grown amazingly; 20K in 1961 to some 1 million plus now.

But, the Houston of today is so much improved over the '70's & 80's..................

My favorite Texas city is Corpus Christi, hands down ! Still, we'd love to be back living in Houston right now !

Good Luck !

leVieux

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I worked in Houston a few months last year, I don't know if I could be paid enough to deal with that town again, It would take 200k+ at least. Sure, you're always close to something. My problem is that Everyone there is in a bad mood, all the time, nothing but a-holes in check out lines. They're always in a rush, driving up your bum and don't even notice. It's hot, there's hardly any breeze, the humidity is just as bad as it is in South LA, and there's a pile of people there who refuse to speak English to boot. It's also hard to be a serious prepper if you live in a zombie nest.

Congrats, I guess...

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    I'd never move back to La. Make too much here and with kids schools are a added plus. I deal with Mexicans anyday over Katrnians. Plus TX doea revolve around sports and alcohol Check out WHIDPA for 3 gun matches and I think PSC has one in Sept 29th?

Last edited:

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I like visiting Houston from time to time when I have to do a little work there but I wouldn't want to give my tax dollars to a harbor town for illegals immigrants.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Haha, lots of opinions both ways. Houston is home to me, I have friends there that I consider family. It is a huge city, there are far more bad parts than good, but the good parts are the best I've lived in. Last time I lived in Katy/Westchase, this time I think I'll be looking a little farther north. If you've ever driven thru the Spring/Conroe area and didn't like it, I'd have to question your standards :) Like said above, the mexican thing doesn't bother me at all. They are here to work, and they work very hard. Sure a lot of them aren't paying taxes but we have far more of our own here who do the same thing and live off govt checks without working. Get a flat tire in Houston and I would bet you $50 that in less than an hour, somebody will stop to help you, and 99 times out of 10 it's going to be someone who only speaks spanish, and a lot of times has a family in the car with them smiling while they help you change your tire.

Anyways, a bit off topic. I turned down several jobs while here, that payed a lot more than this one, because I was trying to help out my company and do what's best for the team. This job came around three times, the third time it had changed a bit and became something that I hope will be the last job I'll ever take. It's an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Not to mention I get to go home :)

Thanks to the well-wishers, and thanks to all I've met on here for keeping me company in a strange place. Most any of you are welcome over on my side if you find yourself that way. I'm sure I'll be lurking around even after I go. Later dudes.

g

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    No need to leave, though, Squatch. We've got plenty of gents and ladies in Texas. As long as you have wifi or a hotspot, you got the BS.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    It's been a rough ride down here but I stuck it out for the sake of my company. Finally got the offer that made me look and I took it. Substantial raise, back home with friends, much better (less stressful) job. I've enjoyed my time on BSF and met a few pretty cool people. I'm sure I'll poke my nose back in from time to time. Last day at work is 11 July, leaving out sometime soon after that. Thanks for the :rofl: later dudes!

g

The cost of living is quite a bit lower in Houston than in Lafayette. Houston has improved quality of life over the last 30 years, while Lafayette keeps getting worse.

I have lived in both places, frequently visit both, and feel that the "new" Houston is a great place to be.

Plus, one can more easily avoid the A-Holes in Houston; the "Bayou City".

leVieux

Last edited:

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Haha, lots of opinions both ways. Houston is home to me, I have friends there that I consider family. It is a huge city, there are far more bad parts than good, but the good parts are the best I've lived in. Last time I lived in Katy/Westchase, this time I think I'll be looking a little farther north. If you've ever driven thru the Spring/Conroe area and didn't like it, I'd have to question your standards :) Like said above, the mexican thing doesn't bother me at all. They are here to work, and they work very hard. Sure a lot of them aren't paying taxes but we have far more of our own here who do the same thing and live off govt checks without working. Get a flat tire in Houston and I would bet you $50 that in less than an hour, somebody will stop to help you, and 99 times out of 10 it's going to be someone who only speaks spanish, and a lot of times has a family in the car with them smiling while they help you change your tire.

Anyways, a bit off topic. I turned down several jobs while here, that payed a lot more than this one, because I was trying to help out my company and do what's best for the team. This job came around three times, the third time it had changed a bit and became something that I hope will be the last job I'll ever take. It's an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Not to mention I get to go home :)

Thanks to the well-wishers, and thanks to all I've met on here for keeping me company in a strange place. Most any of you are welcome over on my side if you find yourself that way. I'm sure I'll be lurking around even after I go. Later dudes.

g

I actually just moved not far from River Ranch. Let's grab a brew before you go. :beer:

Either way, good luck!

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

g

Conroe is a nice place. The drive going down Hwy 12 to Conroe is one of my favorite drives, hands down.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    Congrats on the less stressful, higher paying job. Houston is a great place! My favorite 2 things in Houston is Pappasito's and Collector's Firearms! :bigok:

Top Bottom