Mt. Hermon student arrested after cops allegedly find .357 revolver in car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I do not consent to any form of search but will not resist your commands, unlawful or not.

its not so much about it being illegal as it is being school policy. If you are a student, parking there is consenting to search. Theres only about thirty threads on this topic already...

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    its not so much about it being illegal as it is being school policy. If you are a student, parking there is consenting to search. Theres only about thirty threads on this topic already...

The 4th amendment doesn't apply to school employees with the same stringent standards that are applied to LE personnel. Especially after you have signed off consenting to said search at the beginning of the school year.

Maybe I'm a little weird, but I don't like the idea of a 17 year old possessing a firearm with an obliterated serial number on a school campus. Furthermore, a 17 year old who probably has little to no training with a firearm. A firearm that was obtained illegally from who knows where...

JR1572

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    The 4th amendment doesn't apply to school employees with the same stringent standards that are applied to LE personnel. Especially after you have signed off consenting to said search at the beginning of the school year.
    Maybe I'm a little weird, but I don't like the idea of a 17 year old possessing a firearm with an obliterated serial number on a school campus. Furthermore, a 17 year old who probably has little to no training with a firearm. A firearm that was obtained illegally from who knows where...

JR1572

Hence the reason for parking passes at school.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    It's more basic than that. The Supreme Court has ruled that, while on school grounds or custody, schools are empowered to act "in loco parentis." If a kid is not 18, he/she does not enjoy the protections of the Bill of Rights. Probable cause is moot.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

JR1572

100% agreement. I'd like to know where the heck he got the thing

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    It seems the only issue is whether or not the serial number is obliterated. If it is, then 14:95.7 is the only charge. If it is readable, then from the information that is public, no law was violated. Why the arrest? Unlawful and against school policy are two entirely different things. Arrest vs. suspension/expulsion are completely different. The disposition of this case will be interesting to watch.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It seems the only issue is whether or not the serial number is obliterated. If it is, then 14:95.7 is the only charge. If it is readable, then from the information that is public, no law was violated. Why the arrest? Unlawful and against school policy are two entirely different things. Arrest vs. suspension/expulsion are completely different. The disposition of this case will be interesting to watch.

It happens every once in a while you read about a student getting busted for a gun in a vehicle on school grounds. http://www.katc.com/news/handgun-found-in-car-at-tioga-high/

Of course we never know all the details but it does happen.

Top Bottom