Mud Boat and Motor, What's the best?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunBull85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I've always considered getting a mud boat and motor, but for the first time I'm seriously considering it and ready to buy one (but not without the proper research). It's primary use would be for duck hunting. My questions are what brand motor is the best (godevil, gator tail, beavertail, mud buddy, etc)? Also, what is better surface drive or long tail? I want a welded boat, what are some good brands? Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Best depends on the terrain you run. I have a GatorTrax boat, and love it (they aren't cheap though). I currently have a mudbuddy 5500 Mag HD Sport (52 HP) on it, and it will run right at 32 MPH with a light load, and 30 loaded down. I don't really care for the GoDevil for a few reasons. First is no neutral, 2nd no power trim. They are tough as nails, but those 2 features make it a night and day difference in driving experience. I have a few friends with GatorTails (GTR, with reverse) and I would love to find a nice used one to swap my modded engine onto. As for the surface drive Vs longtail, if you aren't going to be in a cypress knee infested swamp, go with a surface drive. They are easier to drive, easier on the driver, faster, and carry a load much better.

There are a TON of different boats to choose from. Make sure that you get one with a flat bottom (non- v) and not ribbed like a jon boat. A great wealth of knowledge in your area is Andy over at the boat dr, go by and talk to him. He is a Gator Trax and Mud Buddy dealer, and this time of year has a bunch of boats in his yard for routine maintenance prior to hunting season that you can take a look at and get some ideas.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Check craigslist, I monitor the boat section daily and see quite a few great deals for surface drive boats (make sure you search for mud or mudboat to weed out the other crap)

What type of hunting are you doing? Hard bottom, soft bottom, salt water marsh? Are you crossing any large bodies of water?

CajunBull85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I duck hunt sometimes in Cocodrie (rarely), but mostly in the pearl river wma near chef menteur and in the biloxi marsh WMA. So if I launch from hopedale or shell beach, the biggest body of water I'd cross is prob the MRGO. I also deer and hog hunt the pearl and bogue chitto. Sometimes Maurepas.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    I have a 17x44 gator trax with the hunt deck and the 35 mudbuddy. Gator trax makes a killer boat.
    If I was going to do it over again I would stick with gator trax boat. If get a 17x50 with the hunt deck and the hybrid bow so those waves don't hit you in the face on those cold mornings. 44 is great for duck hunting, but when your trying to fish it can be a lil uN stable. Don't get it full of boxes, I have a gun box and the rear drivers box and can hunt 4 people comfortable. I'd def do the 45 mag or 55 mudbuddy to carry a load better. I am thinking about either building my motor or selling it for a gtr35 with reverse. It can be a pain not having reverse

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I've had both long tails and a GTR35. Each has it's benefits, but if in had to choose one I'd pick a surface drive over a long tail. IMHO, the only advantage a long tail has in some of the areas I hunt in(Delta marsh, no hard wood) is the ability to "put-put" at idle in a few inches of H2O in soft mud.(which can be a good thing) Other than that, surface drive..speed, ability to run on step in a few inches of H2O over hard pack/sand (can't do that with a long tail). Reverse is def a good thing to have, reverse of Gator Tail vs Pro Drive are two different animals. What I like about the GTR is in shallow H2O, even in sand, you can hit reverse, dig a hole, then hit forward and shoot out of it and get on step. Again, my $.02, I'm sure there will be others that feel differently.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    All depends on what you run. If you mainly going to hunt swamps I say a longtail (go devil) is the way to go. If you mostly gonna hunt marsh surface drive (gator tail, prodrive, or the older mud buddy). I longtail is harder to drive, you have to stand up and drive, the turning sucks, and they are slow. A surface drive is better for longer runs and eaiser to drive but again both have pros and cons. I would say a gator trax, or go devil boat would both be a good choice but again these are both on the higher end of the price scale. The best bet would get a custom boat built and good for a open haul, trust me, the gun boxes are nice but they just take up room, open haul with a driver seat and a hunt deck for a surface drive. A LT you want a long skinny boat for the best performance ex. 16x38 or 18x38 would be the best bet for a LT. Just remember stick time will teach you to really drive your boat and always wear a kill switch!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom